SG Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by iansmitchell, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Speaking of Hendrix guitars....he supposedly played a Telecaster on the overdubs on "Purple Haze". It's not proven, but there is an entire book devoted to it, and many folks who were around him at the time said it was true. Supposedly he broke his strat neck on a ceiling, and was loaned the tele. Actually, many of you here must have heard this since I see there was a long thread about it.... http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-hendrix-purple-haze-telecaster-myth.735604/
    PS: I read the book, and I do believe it.

2. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Looks like a '67-'69 SG Custom to me, with batwing pickguard and pickguard-mounted pickups, not a '61 LP-SG, which would have a small pickguard and black rings on the pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PixMix, Ippon and brookdalebill like this.
  3. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Yeah, that white on white pickguard, I completely missed it. Honestly, I was only vaguely aware of the late 60s SG Custom anyway. Whenever I see a guitar like that, I'm thinking the Les Paul SG. Guess I shouldn't, obviously. As for Jimi playing a V, yeah I know about that also -- just I've never seen him play it.

4. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I’m a day late and a dollar short but I was going to say I’ve seen video of Jimi playing a SG and a Flying V Gibson and seen pics of him with a Jazzmaster (I’m pretty sure he was using a pair of Twin Reverb amps then too but thought they were “too quite”) I seen a pic of him with what I think was a Danelectro very early after his hitch in the army.

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I feel strange replying to myself in this club but I just wanted to share. I think I found my favorite tone with this SG. I had been thinking, maybe I should replace the pickups with ones that could be coil split to get a more single coil sound for country. Single coils are brighter with better clarity than 490's. I play through a Mesa Boogie 5:25 Express. One night I switched to the 5 watt setting. Power dropped. Loudness fell off pretty dramatically, but the sound got brighter and clearer that I'd ever heard. I got the loudness back using a Keeley 4 knob compressor as a clean boost. I really like the PRS coil split sound but this is love, not like. It was totally unexpected. The 5 watt setting does nothing for my other guitars but it brings my SG to life.

6. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

So the other day I was watching an Anderton's YouTube video they shot at the NAMM show and they pick up and briefly handle a couple of guitars that caused my heart to skip a beat. SG Specials: red and blue metallic paint schemes, P90s, small pickguard, white-key Klusons. They even have the compensated bridge/tailpiece. Almost the spitting image of the early 60s SG I used to own lo these many years ago. Mine was the translucent wine-red color and had green key Klusons. I've missed that guitar. It was all I could do, after learning of this new instrument, to keep my credit card in my wallet. Here's one at Guitar Center:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/SG-Special-2019-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

It's so new, it isn't even showing up at Gibson's website yet.

As a way of replacing that long departed SG, I bought a double-cut LP Special back in about 2000. That's a super guitar. Has twin P90s, Slim-60s neck profile, plus a Tune-O-Matic bridge and tailpiece. It plays like a dream and sounds fantastic, best of all, I was able to pick it up on close-out for about $600 back then. So I can't complain. And I just keep telling myself over and over "It's just as good as an SG Special. I don't need that SG Special." Over and over. Maybe it'll work, still not real clear on that right now.

Cheshiergrin likes this.
  7. BadBen

BadBen TDPRI Member

That's awesome. Do it.

Love,

Bad Influence

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

AE76DE98-50CD-46FE-A63E-0DA368B82432.jpeg

Here is the 1990 62 SG I bought Friday.
    It’s heavy, has a fresh refret, Duncan Jazz neck pickup, Wolfetone bridge pickup, and has a few scars from it’s first (almost) 30 years.
    It rings acoustically, and is fun to play!
    No neck dive, BTW.

Fergyuk, Ippon, RodeoTex and 6 others like this.
  9. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

2018 was a year that I bought and sold too many guitars. This 2014 SGJ was hanging on the wall at a local pawn shop. It was marked $299 and had a chip in the paint that you can see. But that week, they were having a 20% sale and I took it home.

At home I found that the volume control for the neck pickup was cutting out. Spraying the potentiometer with cleaner/lube did not help. It seemed a new pot was in order but it is soldered to a PCB with tin and has a special pot. Deciding to return it to the store, I explained the problem to the shop owner. He said that he would have to pay to get it fixed and asked me what I would give him for it. I offered him $150. He took the offer. Unfortunately, all I had in my wallet was $145. He said okay. Disassembling the pot, I found a human hair inside. When the hair went between the wiper and the carbon element, it would go open circuit. It works fine now.

The 2014 anniversary year SGJ has custom '61 Gibson zebra buckers. They sound fantastic clean or dirty. I'm not sure these pickups are on any other year of Gibson SG. The chunky neck is maple and the fretboard is a thick slab of rosewood with 24 frets. The nitro finish has scratches, dings and some chips. It was well worth $145 OTD.

[​IMG]

PixMix, Fergyuk, Ippon and 7 others like this.
  10. Cheshiergrin

Cheshiergrin Tele-Holic

Here is my 03' special that I found abused by what I can only assume was a punk band on tour with no guitar case. I love her dearly.

upload_2019-2-28_16-45-49.png

savofenno, Fergyuk, Ippon and 4 others like this.
  11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Found this in a Guitar Center for hundreds below what it should have been selling for - 2011 61 Reissue

IMG_0639.JPG

savofenno, Fergyuk, Ippon and 5 others like this.
  12. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow Tele-Meister

Great find. I bought this exact model new (on sale). I ended up giving it to my daughter for her birthday when another gift I had planned for her fell through. She/we love it.

DADGAD likes this.
  13. DADGAD

DADGAD Tele-Afflicted

You’re a good dad. :cool:

Hiker likes this.
  14. horax

horax Tele-Holic

I have several, but only one remains. My 1966 Gibson SG Jr.
    It was refinished as it was painted with black house paint when I got her. I changed the tuners because they had already been replaced. PLays and sounds amazing.

Also had an SGJ that I sold stupidly.
    Also an Epi SG pro that i got at a pawn shop fro 120 because it didn't work....loose solder...plus it had gibson pickups pre installed, but no pix. :(
    Here's also a pelham blue epi sg special that I swapped pickups for PAF clones and upgraded tuners....THAT was an amazing guitar for 99.00 on a black friday two years back.

finished_1.jpeg IMG_2948.JPG IMG_2785.JPG

savofenno, Fergyuk, Ippon and 4 others like this.
  15. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

MiJ Epiphone Elite series for the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) and MIJ Burny:

[​IMG]

27" baritone:

[​IMG]

neilybob100, PixMix and brookdalebill like this.
  16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

IMG_20190315_165450389_HDR_20190315170515614.jpg these two definitely go together.

Fergyuk, Ippon and DADGAD like this.
  17. GibSG

GibSG TDPRI Member

Can I play ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Whats up yall! I just joined this club over the weekend. After wanting an SG pretty much my entire life, I finally made it happen! Traded my un-loved strat for this guy (plus some change). Has some minor intonation issues I need to fix up, but other than that it is MINT. Not a single mark on it and still has the cellophane on the pickguard. In love with this thing already.

2018 SG Special
    20190720_141808.jpg 20190722_131812.jpg 20190722_131857.jpg 20190722_133615.jpg 20190722_133626.jpg

Fergyuk and Ippon like this.
  19. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Over/under on how long it takes me to ding it? haha

20. Ippon

Ippon Tele-Meister

2008 Gibson Guitar of the Month - SG Diablo

[​IMG]

Fergyuk, RodeoTex and Steve 78 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.