1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SG Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by iansmitchell, Jun 11, 2009.

1. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Matt, by any chance, do the three guitars you're having problems with use the same brand of tuners? I've owned guitars that had tuning problems and it was always the tuners in my case.

My '88 SG has Grovers, and it stays in tune very well.

2. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

When it came time to thin the herd a bit the last guitar I thought of was my SG. It just sounds too good to let go. I love to play it, but not only that, my significant other does too! I think my wife would change the locks if I sold it.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

What would anyone think of an SG with a reverese or non reverse Firebird neck?
    Just throwing an idea around.
    Spittballing.

4. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That's as bad as the Bossabird or that Nieman Marcus Gibbons Texas SG.

<<shudder>>

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Well I was thinking it kinda works on a Trini Lopez style cut, or what Ghrol pushes aound.....

bender66 likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Why not. Sometimes you just have to mock it up and see.

My avatar guitar had a neck with a Jackson style headstock on it at one time. Wasn't terrible, but I prefer a 3x3 headstock.

I kinda like the V headstock on the SG.

7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That it does.

The Vintage brand did a great copy of those.

Gibbons can pull almost anything off guitar wise, including fleecing the buyers of those Texas SG's.

L'il Red on the other hand is a beauty.

JayFreddy likes this.
  8. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's

My Chibson Silverburst SG. Gibson logo wasn't supposed to be on it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

19sixty3, Fergyuk, Zepfan and 3 others like this.
  9. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

ok, I'm back in again! 1963 Special which needs tidying up, refinished in the 90's, very old repaired neck break but original P90's and wiring. Already bought Kluson 3 on a strip tuners and have a short Vibrola I'm thinking of adding. Probably won't go down the complete restoration route but will make it a good player, original frets needing some attention as is the neck binding. Has been hanging on a wall for a while so also needs a good clean! IMG_4249.JPG IMG_4250.JPG IMG_4251.JPG IMG_4254.JPG IMG_4258.JPG IMG_4260.JPG

19sixty3, Fergyuk, PixMix and 8 others like this.
  10. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Regarding string gauge: I use NYXL .011 on the Strat and .010 on everything else.

The Les Paul Jr. has original tuners. The Melody Maker has Schaller vintage style reproduction. The SG has factory installed tuners. I will look for an upgrade.

Thanks for the tips.

11. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Wow, Scott, brings back some fond memories. I owned a similar vintage SG Special back in '67-'68. Let a friend talk me into selling it, and I still regret parting with that guitar. Hope you get yours put back into proper order soon.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wonder Twin powers ... activate!

2E9C89F2-8225-49B2-89F8-495FD740B48E.jpeg

2011 Standard (white) on the left. 2013 Standard (red - supposedly modeled after the ‘61 reissue?). I don’t honestly know the detailed specs and differences. I do know both play and sound GREAT. And they are more similar than different. The neck may be a hair thicker on the white one, but I wouldn’t swear to it.

The red one is my new main guitar for the punk band. The white for the new wave band.

Said goodbye to a really good Tele and a really good, two pickup, belly cut LP Special. Will miss those guys but don’t regret it at all. Just happened to find two great SGs in my two favorite shops less than 5 days apart.

13. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Well, the one on the right looks like a 61 (and later for a few years). Seems to me that if a guitar is modeled after a reissue then it is also modeled after the original, yes? Anyway, except for the lack of pickup covers, it looks dead on to be a copy of a '61 to me. Prolly my favorite SG of all, followed closely by the Special from that same time frame, which is basically the same guitar, but with P90s.

14. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

I also had a '65 Special in the past which I let go along with a few others, this one's staying as I know I'll never get the chance of another one I could afford.

jondanger likes this.
  15. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I too had a ‘65 SG Special, and trading it away is the only real gear regret that I have.

16. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

What kind of capacitors do you guys have?

I have a '14 SG Special with coil taps.

It's one of my favorites to play, feels really good.

I was playing it today back to back with another guitar that I upgraded the wiring and pickups.

Cant help but think the other guitar, an Epiphone with Seymour Duncans and "orange drop" capacitors I got from StewMac sounded fatter.

I looked inside the SG to find these cute little things.

1540596483654.jpg
    1540596490167.jpg

You guys ever change them out?

I have been very happy with the results from the StewMac caps on 2 mods I have done.

19sixty3 likes this.
  17. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I don't notice the difference between caps that have the same value. I don't change them out if I like the sound I am getting.

18. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Yep I think it's just the overall difference in n the 2 guitars. today I was playing the SG through the same amp and tweaked the eq on the amp a smidge, and: Viola! Raaaawk!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    Mincer likes this.
  19. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

So, have you ever seen Hendrix play an SG? No? Well, read on . . .

So, I was browsing through some videos at YouTube today, and ran across a video recording of the Hendrix Experience, recording in a small venue in Sweden in 1969. The sound level is actually surprisingly good. Hendrix starts off the set on what looks to be a black Strat with a maple fingerboard (which is fairly uncommon in and of itself), but then at the about the 36:15 mark, he picks up a white 61 Les Paul (aka an SG with gold hardware and three pickups) and proceeds to play Red House on it. Can't say I'm all that crazy about the tone he's getting out of it, but hey, it's a Gibson for a change. In retrospect, I think what he's doing is he has his Vox Wah active and just has the pedal pushed all the way down -- cuz he starts using it after a while.

Dunno about you guys, but this is the only time I've ever seen Hendrix play anything besides a Strat. Anyway, here's the link:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

He also played a Flying V as you can check out here.. In his early days he played a Jazzmaster

BIGD5 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.