1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SG Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by iansmitchell, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Okay then if you insist, let me recount the creation of my "Fido's"
    First up here's one with which it all started.
    [​IMG]
    I had pulled apart a Squier Affinity tele, sold the parts on but kept the neck with the intention of building it a new body. But as an experiment decided to use an SG template I made from using an old POS Japanese SG copy which had the pickups very close together. The body was made from oak and Pine.

I later modified that guitar by routing it a swimming pool so I could place the pickups further apart and made it a neater looking pickguard.
    [​IMG]
    The name "Fido" came to me because of it being a mutt guitar and Fido is still a popular dog's name. I sold the original Fido to a friend who still uses it and refuses to sell it back to me.

So almost ten years later I decided to get that SG template out again and make another one. I once again used an existing neck but used walnut from an old table top to make a body from. Resulting in the "Son of Fido"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the recessed back cover rout, even when making a guitar to use up parts, I don't screw around. Seeing that picture now, I should have left that guitar as it was, just the single pickup and fixed bridge. But the dam had been opened and I modified the "Son of Fido" so much that one could barely recognize it as being the same guitar.
    [​IMG]
    The "Son of Fido" now had bevels around the body, a kahler double locking bridge, two fender USA single coils and a GFS humbucker. I have used it as my main guitar because of it being so versatile.

But the table top I made the "Son of Fido" from was big enough to make a second body from, so I did.
    [​IMG]
    And with that one I decided to go all the way and also made the neck myself. I went for the seventies Norlin era SG for inspiration and created the Fido 3$ (Triple buck)
    [​IMG]
    The 3$ has two Epiphone humbuckers in the neck and middle positions and an Ibanez/DiMarzio V-7 at the bridge. The neck is merbau construction lumber with an ebony fingerboard with a Fender 25.5 inch scale. A true rock monster, this was my live guitar with the last couple of performances of my now defunct metal band Slavantas.

But if something tastes like more you want more, so I went out shopping for some necks and wood to make bodies from and the first I created that way was the "Dyna Fido" which started its life like this.
    [​IMG]
    But in honor of my big hero Brian Setzer, I painted transparent orange.
    [​IMG]
    But in that guise, it still didn't work for me and I was looking for something to really make it come to life.
    [​IMG]
    So I replaced the white pickguard with a flamed maple pickguard and fitted a Gibson Meastro vibrato which in conjuction with a roller bridge works really good, but the biggest difference was the fitting of Gretsch pickups, a filtertron at the neck and a dynasonic (where the Dyan fido gets its name from) at the back. I no longer own the Dyna Fido, I sold it to a rockabilly player.

The next one was "Cherry Fido" which came to be when I got hold of a trashed cheap strat knock off which I decided to use the parts from.
    [​IMG]
    The body is from four pieces of meranti construction lumber, which I bought at a hardware store, you can't see the joints at all.
    [​IMG]
    Currently the Cherry Fido sports a Dimarzio SDS1 at the bridge and the cheap Korean Strat pickups in the neck and middle positions, I keep this one in Nashville tuning.

The next one on my list came to be when I was about to join a thrash metal outfit and I was told that my guitar needed to be as simple as possible. So I made a body from scrapwood, pieces of Pine which I planed to a matching thickness and glued together, routing it out for a single hotrail blade bridge pickup and spray painting the guitar in Army green which I bought at an actual army surplus shop.
    [​IMG]
    But I quickly found out that I didn't like the sound of that Blade pickup and I also didn't like the way that bridge felt, so I replaced them both and added a pickguard for good measure.
    [​IMG]
    The Warrior, made from scrapwood, finished with military grade spray paint bought from an army surplus, the stripe is a piece of black ducktape. It has an Ibanez V-2 humbucker, Steinberger tuners and a cheap Fender style neck.

So with so many Fido's one ought to think that I ran out of ideas but no I found building them too much fun and that military green one planted it in my head that I really liked the concept of having only one pickup. So the concept was worth a repeat.
    [​IMG]
    My concept here was to have a cross between a vintage SG Custom and an SG Junior. It has a pine body, an allparts paddle neck which I shaped to look like a Gibson "open book" headstock and a Gibson P94 P-90 in a humbucker housing pickup.
    [​IMG]
    The "Great white Fido" is very similar to the warrior but is more classic rock in vibe and tone than it being a metal machine.

But after that one I figured, one more and that's enough. I was losing focus and needed to look elsewhere with my guitar building.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, pine body, since I found that that worked so well in the past. This time, I also made the neck again. Which as a tribute to my other Fidos would have a Fender scale length and a Strat headstock.
    [​IMG]
    Again I was looking at the SG Junior for inspiration and so "Candy" came to be.
    [​IMG]
    "Candy" has a Dimarzio PAF at the bridge and a Fender USA single coil at the back. You wouldn't be able to tell from the pictures but it has quite a fat body, twice the thickness of a normal SG.
    [​IMG]

Well there you go, a detailed but brief description of my self made SG's

2. Shaunpski

Shaunpski Tele-Meister

Here's my '88 SG Elite keeping company with my '88 LP Custom. Both are spending the majority of their time in their cases these days. image-1169242406.jpg

image-2038107080.jpg

Fergyuk and brookdalebill like this.
  3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks, Blazer. All good stories and a good adventure. The blending of fender and gibson styles make me smile. The last one, Candy, looks like a lefty headstock, but strung for right hand. A little nod to Jimi, perhaps, or just more fun? If you ever come to Texas, there will be a free beer waiting for you.

4. maggieo

maggieo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Thanks, guys!

5. tombob

tombob Tele-Holic

I'm really digging the Fender/Gibson hybrids. A SG body with a Strat neck seems like it would be the most comfortable guitar in the world to play.
    You've got my wheels turning now Blazer, I'm thinking a SG body with a Strat neck and pickups like a Nighthawk Studio, mini-bucker, Strat single coil, full size bucker with coil tap. That would make a really versatile guitar.

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

And don't forget Gibson did combining the SG with a Strat style neck themselves first...

[​IMG]

Fergyuk likes this.
  7. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Ok, I'm not the owner of an SG, so I guess you guys can vote me out if you'd like. I would love to join up here, but I need a li'l advice. There is a Gibson SG Future (not Futura)for sale on Craigslist about 20 miles from me. Seller says it's in great shape and the pictures he sent back it up. It's 24 fret, has block inlays, Zebra humbuckers, and has the gearless Steinberger tuners. Seems like a matte black finish with chrome hardware. He's asking $400. I've done some research, and I think I should pounce on it!
    What do all you SG owners have for advice? Go, or no?

8. TSims1

TSims1 TDPRI Member

Here's my ROCKNROLLRELICS "Sixty-One Custom" built by Billy Rowe in California. I LOVE this guitar. :)

Attached Files:

Fergyuk likes this.
  9. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

YES, buy it. I'd buy any real Gibson SG in good shape for $400. Of course you can try to get a lower price first. Good luck.

10. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Here I am... I am in

Gibson SG 2001, Natural Burst, Bigsby B3, pickups are The Creamery Baby71 (Wide Range clones humbucker sized)... a killer

[​IMG]

11. kylef

kylef Tele-Meister

Yay I'm in

[​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  12. zenken

zenken Banned

How did I miss this club?

[​IMG]
    1967 SG Standard

My first good instrument and my favorite non-Fender guitar

Fergyuk likes this.
  13. speedy mcfeely

speedy mcfeely Tele-Holic

View attachment 241026 View attachment 241030 ImageUploadedByTDPRI1403816713.902539.jpg

My 2011 standard. I put a bigsby with vibramate on but have since taken it off. And also a pic of my special faded.
    SGs are my main gigging guitars. I have a bad back so my guitars need to be less than 7 pounds.

14. speedy mcfeely

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1403817570.545361.jpg

Here's the standard.

Fergyuk likes this.
  15. speedy mcfeely

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1403817702.430635.jpg

Here's the grain.

(I can only upload 1 photo per post)

Fergyuk likes this.
  16. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

New Epiphone SG Pro on the way

Just ordered one in Cherry from musicians Friend. The Pro has the alnicos with the coil taps for the single coil effect. I had a '68 l bought new years ago and it's long gone. Been gassin' for one for a long time. Yes it was made in China, but after a lot of research the reviews I read are very high. Anyway it was under $325 so...

17. Katherine

Katherine NEW MEMBER!

I got this second hand Epiphone G400 yesterday. It's a bit of a chimera already and I'm sure it's going to be modded more, but I'm absolutely in love with it.

Attached Files:

• sg.jpg
      sg.jpg
      File size:
      54.3 KB
      Views:
  18. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

If anyone is interested, I posted a review in the "other guitars and instruments" section.

19. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Epiphone SG Jr rock and roll machine!

[​IMG]

Fergyuk and swamprock like this.
  20. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.