1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SG Club!

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by iansmitchell, Jun 11, 2009.

1. 410DeVille

410DeVille Tele-Meister

I wouldn't mess with it. I use to have one just like that. Wish I still did.

2. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Seriously....don't touch the chrome or anything else on that guitar! You will ruin it. If you want "spiffy" sell it and buy a new one.

3. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Will (or rather, won't) do, people! Thanks.

4. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

One of my favorite guitars that I own. This is a 1993 or thereabouts 61 Reissue SG. However, the bridge pickup is an original 1960 Gibson PAF that used to reside in an original 61 SG. Sounds killer to say the least. I have no idea why someone took it out of the original guitar but my good friend (might as well be my older brother) used to be a tech back in the late 80s and had two of them. He gave me one of them for Christmas last year. One of my prized possessions.

61RISG.jpg

5. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Wow, didn't know we had an SG club. Found this on CL today. 2007 Custom Shop VOS SG Standard. Reminds me very much of my 1960 LP SG I had back in the 70s (man that makes me sound bloody old). The seller is a collector and he said it has been unplayed and from looking at it I believe it. Got a really great deal, I could never swing a new one. I love this thing.
    [​IMG]

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

Just got this a few days ago. 2013 SG Original.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

I'm still new to the Tele forums, so it was with some interest that I discovered the threads dedicated to guitars other than Teles.

I have a rather special SG. Not an SG Special, but a special SG. Back in 1988, Gibson built a number of Showcase Edition guitars. Each one was supposed to be a limited run of 200 for domestic release and 50 for foreign release, and there was a new edition each month. Mine is called the '62 SG Showcase Edition, S/N 807085xx, and it was built during the month of April, 1988.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a link to EverythingSG, where they have a page on the '62 Showcase:

http://www.everythingsg.com/index.php/62-showcase.html

I'm not sure of the value of these Showcase Edition models, but I know mine is worth a lot more than what I paid for it. It was back in the year 2000 or so that I found it hanging on the "used guitars" rack at a local Guitar Center. For some years I had been waiting for a good deal to come my way on an SG with the small pickguard. I've had one with the large pickguard and, while it played and sounded great, I never cared for the looks of the large pickguard. This one had the small one, plus a lot more. It was very clean, cosmetically speaking, and it had a $350 price tag hanging on it. Seeing that, I decided that, once I picked it up, I was not going to let go of it until it was sold and I was out the door with it. So I only played on it for a few minutes just to confirm that the action was good and the neck wasn't weird, and everything was fine. I didn't even plug it in.

I wasn't sure about those EMG pickups, either, having seen them around, but not being really aware of their sound. So as soon as I got it home, I hooked it up to my Marshall Combo, a VS102R, and I cranked it, dialing in a modest amount of overdrive. Wow. I tell you what -- those EMGs are some hot pickups. I was getting this sweet, sassy overdrive sound that just spells G i b s o n to me. She was a keeper.

Only once in the checkout process at GC did I run into a snag. One of the managers took a look at the tag and mumbled something about its price being a mistake. I just glared at him, not saying a word. I had bought a Marshall amp from him not more than a month prior to this, so maybe he remembered me. At any rate, he realized it was too late in the sales process to queer the deal, so he did the right thing and just mumbled something about having to sell it at that price, then he walked off.

I have no idea why it was priced so cheaply. Most likely, somebody just made a simple clerical error. And I doubt seriously they were aware of a Showcase Edition's built in rarity factor. Even back in the year 2000, I would have expected a guitar like that to have at least a $500 price tag, possibly quite a bit more.

Fergyuk and brookdalebill like this.
  8. Clump

Clump Tele-Meister

That's a beautiful SG and a hell of a bargain! Love it!

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Count me in...

'71 SG Pro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Tele-Afflicted

I posted my Agile P-90 Valkyrie back in 2009, but subsequently sold it. I'd previously had an Epiphone G400, but on selling the Agile have been SG-less for a couple years.

For this last Christmas I decided to remedy that, because of a really good year-end blowout deal at Muso's Friend. The cheapie Gibson SGJ had been streeting for 5 bills ($499), and since Gibby was making changes to the "J" models in '14, MF knocked them back to $399. Then they knocked another 15% off with a "Black Friday" discount code, so I got a new white SGJ and gigbag, shipped, for $339.32!

The SGJ looked a li'l plain, so I bought a stock small guard and cut it down with my trusty Black & Decker mitre saw. The yucky plain black plastic pickup covers reportedly can't be removed, so I also bought some Bobbin Toppers and stuck 'em right on top of the bucker covers. The result, here's Shirley Girly:

[​IMG]

Here she is in action at our local annual Christmas toy drive benefit:

[​IMG]

11. devnulljp

devnulljp Tele-Meister

65 SG Jr.
    I have a thing for one-pickup guitars it seems

[​IMG]

12. MatthewDickin

MatthewDickin Tele-Afflicted

Time to join - my newly acquired '63 Junior. It's been modded by previous owners (I am going to bring it back to spec with a wraparound tailpiece and proper reflector knobs rather than witch hats), but the chunky neck, Brazilian board, p90, electrics and finish are all original, and this thing just screams. Love it.

Attached Files:

13. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Cool looking junior! I owned a Special way back when, and I was very fond of that guitar. Let a friend talk me into selling it, something I've always regretted.

Looks like a Leo Quan Badass bridge you've got there. It might not be original, but you can achieve perfect intonation with it, so you might want to hang onto it. I have a Badass on an old prototype guitar I bought back in the 70s, and I've always found it tho be very handy. Certainly a lot better than the bridge that came on my Special, with its squiggly line saddle.

14. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

New one

Not here yet but this one's on its way.

Attached Files:

Fergyuk likes this.
  15. cooltouch

cooltouch TDPRI Member

Very nice too, Bry. Is it new? I'm on my phone so the image is tiny, hard tho see detail.

16. MatthewDickin

It's definitely a Leo Quan Badass, and it intonates perfectly - I'll hang into it for sure, but still going to try out the Mojoaxe bridge which is compensated for a plain G string (the original lightning bar bridges were for wound Gs), so it looks the part. I'll keep you posted on which I keep.

17. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

Yes it's new; the pictures are the ones Sweetwater sent me after I picked that serial # from the pics online.

18. MatthewDickin

So, a few weeks on and my SG Jr has had a makeover - I'm so pleased with how it has turned out.

Put a set of original early 60s Kluson single line tuners with brass posts (an incredibly clean set), which have totally eliminated some neck dive caused by the heavy Grovers. Had to use some conversion bushings from Fake58 to go from Grovers to Klusons, but the guitar looks so much better and is far more playable.

Swapped the late '70s witch hat knobs for a set of original '63 reflectors - again, a very clean, almost NOS pair.

The badass bridge has gone, replaced by an aged nickel lightning bar bridge (for a plain g string) from MojoAxe. It intonates almost perfectly, looks the part and seems to have helped with the transfer of vibration through the body.

I de warped the cellulose pickguard using the microvave, water, weight method - really happy with how it turned out - sits flush against the body now - compared with before pic below (with the badass still in place)...

Conditioned the fretboard with Fret Doctor.

Cleaned and polished away years of grime using Virtuoso Cleaner (amazing stuff, by the way).

Set up with a nice, high-ish action to let the strings really vibrate over the p90. I love the tones from this through my Dr Z Mini Z - just awesome....

Attached Files:

Fergyuk likes this.
  19. Joe_Tone

Joe_Tone Tele-Meister

Funny that I'm on a Tele forum and saying the SG is my favorite guitar on the Planet, but heck, it is, what can I say? :confused:

It that Pete Townsend thing and Live at Leeds ...... THAT is Rock and Roll!!!

I love my SGs.

Here are a few>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are actually old pics. :lol: The SG Classic was like a crack habit and I was binging on them for a while, but now I'm down to:

(1) SG classic
    (2) SG 62 Custom shop reissues
    (1) SG Standard
    (1) SG 70s reissue (mini humbuckers)

I think that's it :confused:

Fergyuk likes this.
  20. 10aflyViper

10aflyViper TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitars in this thread, guys. Couldn't stay out of this one.

2006 Gibson Sg Standard (Changed tuners, knobs, and switch cap)
    [​IMG]

2004 Gibson Sg Faded (According to the serial number, this one was produced on February 29th. :D Different pickguard, knobs, tuners, and pickups. The pickups are just Phat Cats that I removed the cover from, and placed cream plastic covers on.)
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.