1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

SG Advice

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Wallaby, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hi everybody, I'm hoping to hear experienced advice.

I'm thinking again about finding an SG, and I'm also considering using it as a platform for a Bigsby installation. I've been thinking about the SG Special P-90's from Gibson and Epiphone.

Things being what they are these days, I'm probably going to buy one sight-unseen, except for photos and conversation.

I have a few questions about it that maybe you know something about

- Neck Dive. I hate it, I've payed guitars that do that and I hated it. So I ask, in your experience is there an overall weight that would make you feel relatively assured that the guitar won't neck-dive? I have a theory that a larger-than-normal proportion of used SG's have a neck-dive problem as their owners unload them, but it's just a guess.

- Stop-tail and a future Bigsby installation. The SG Special P-90's by both Gibson and Epiphone have caught my eye, I don't have a P-90 equipped guitar now and want one. I'm assuming a B5 is the "one" for an SG but I'd like to avoid drilling into the guitar if I can avoid it. Would a B7 with a Vibramate work just as well? I've been eyeing the Towner system also, but since that's out of reach with a stop-tail like an SG Special I think I'm limited to a Bigsby with a build-in roller in front.

- Bridge options. What options are there for a stop-tail bridge replacement that works well with a Bigsby?

Well, that's all I can think of. What am I missing?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

Apparently neck dive is a "thing" with SG's. I say apparently because I've owned several (of the Gibson variety) and have never experienced neck dive with any of them (SG Standard, '61 Reissue, SG Special w/ P90's). Apparently though, SG's are plagued with neck dive because the internet says so.

I personally think neck dive is more about how the player shoulders the guitar. Seriously, I have never had it happen with any guitar no matter how heavy or light, how big or small, etc., but if you're super worried about neck dive you will most likely experience it in every SG and SG style guitar you come across.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  3. Wallaby

Thanks Twanger.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had an SG Custom many years ago, and the neck-dive was the reason I got rid of it. Well, that and the microphonic pickups and I didn't feel like replacing them because the neck-dive made the guitar not worth keeping anyway. It sure looked nice, though.

Wallaby likes this.
  5. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve had an SG for 25+ years; Gibson standard. No neck dive, no problems.

Maybe I’m lucky. Have heard more than a few neck dive stories. And a few who had tuning problems - I’ve not had any.

However, if you put a Bigsby on there, you will pretty much eliminate the neck dive.

Buell, El Marin, 19sixty3 and 5 others like this.
  6. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've had a few, currently a Gibson with P90's. My experience has been that the heavier the guitar, the less the neck dive. I wonder if that's why some guys have a problem and others do. Try not to get one much under 8 pounds and you should be fine.

Wallaby likes this.
  7. Wallaby

That's what I was thinking too.

So maybe I'm down to one question - what are the Bigsby and bridge options with a stop-tail SG?

Thanks!

8. Wallaby

I appreciate that, thank you.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just remember that SG stands for Satan's Guitar \m/ :cool: \m/

10. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

...get a decent strap with an inner lining that provides some resistance to slipping and you'll be fine!

985plowboy, CCK1, jrbab and 3 others like this.
  11. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I had an Satans Guitar (born 1963) for years, I never even thought about 'neck-dive', it wasn't a problem.

I did have a fairly wide leather strap at the time, so maybe that fixed it for me.

Also, mine came with one of those Bigsby door-knocker appliances already installed, which I promptly removed. Didn't make neck-dive suddenly appear...

I did break the headstock off though - my fault entirely, and I got it fixed OK.

Zepfan and Wallaby like this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Me and two buddies ALL got Epiphone SG's in June, and each one of us could not be happier!
    My friends are now home player/collector types, and I gig a lot.

Our ' SG lust' came about about 5-6 years ago when another collector buddy of mine got a Gibson '61 SG reissue, which ( having never played an SG) I really got into whenever I'd go over to his house for 'BBQ Jams' ( he has great amps too)
    I decided that when I could afford it I would get a similar Epi SG, Cherry,

So over the next few years I start reading about the SG Pro"s, with improved electronics and pickups ( coul taps) and this year was the year I could find one.
    So I got a 2017 SG Pro "66 style on CL.

My other buddy ( a lefty) got a similar '62 SG Pro, and he bought his brother ( Birthday) the brand new Epi Special P-90.

They are just fantastic sounding players, affordable-excellent pickups, light bodies and light tuners- no neck dive- but I play sitting dow.
    7 gigs with mine since mid June, one tomorrow!

Finally got the Gibson sound that I have been looking for ( other Epis 335's. LP's I owned and sold just never bonded with me- but the SG- PERFECT for a Fender/body player)

Mine below,, and Soecial like my friend's
    20200624_094148.jpg 20200815_205354.jpg

Zepfan, Treynor, Dismalhead and 8 others like this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I have an relatively new ‘61 SG and I love it. No neck dive or any issues.
    I’ve had two great Les Pauls and I prefer the SG.

Buell and Wallaby like this.
  14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a 2018 SG Standard. I have a wide suede strap and have no problems with neck dive. Mine has the 57 Humbuckers and I love the sound. If you want different sound install different pickups.

stratoman1 and Wallaby like this.
  15. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Pretty much every SG I've used had a thin bendy neck. Real easy to push out of tune.

That would be my concern - may not have stability at either end with a Bigsby installed and may have tuning problems.

It was almost like having a rubber neck for me anyways.

MilwMark, Chiogtr4x and Wallaby like this.
  16. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

I had a 1970 SG style Melody Maker from 1970 to 1972 and don't remember any neck dive with it, but this
    was pre-internet, so maybe I just wasn't made aware of the problem.
    I picked up a 2013 SG Standard 61 RI with Maestro and didn't figure it would have that issue.
    It did have a slight amount, but a suede back wide strap fixed any problems with it.
    I prefer the SG to LP Standard, as I don't care for the carved top on LP Standards with the tune-o-matic bridge sticking up.
    I had a vintage 1960 LP Jr and a 55 Special RI, both with the non-carved/flat top and wrap tail bridges.
    The SG has more of that feel than an LP Standard to me.

17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Neck dive can also be fixed by moving the strap button.

Rick330man likes this.
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

After a lifetime of playing a Tele, when I got an SG last year the first couple times I played it I thought the wiggle was intolerable. The guitar was intonated fine, but arpeggios etc kept sounding out of tune. Finally I realized it was because I was handling it like a Tele. You need a light touch sometimes with an SG, or at least a different approach or feel for fretting. Once I got a handle on it, the SG became one of my favorite guitars, because it's so different in feel than a Fender. I find I need a more deliberate and focused approach with it that ultimately brings out a lot of nuance and subtlety in my playing.

MilwMark likes this.
  19. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I have an SG with no neck dive problem and all I use is a two inch wide strap. Neck dive might be an internet issue

Buell, Collin D Plonker and G.Rotten like this.
  20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I've been playing Gibson SG guitars since 1968, no issues with neck dive.

Adding your Bigsby will add a half-pound to the butt of your guitar, so that's that then.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.