SFDR>>new Speaker Baffle

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Krackle, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

I started a thread a week or more ago about a 70 Deluxe Reverb i recently bought..it's all tuned up now
    and im thrilled with it..beyond..hooked on the dag thing

One of the issues this amp had was a Baffle prob..the next to previous owner had removed
    a bunch of speaker studs / T-nuts (to accommodate 4 hole speakers)..the old Fender version with a machine thread stud sticking 'in'

At some point someone forced a speaker in and cracked the baffle at two studs..it's a particle board baffle
    and it has separated and bulged up the way particle board will do..I want to replace the baffle

This is a screw in, floating baffle screwed to two ledger strips secured to the amp

I was told to use about 3/8 to 1/2 inch plywood..nothing special, just decent material..

Suggestions for material? Thickness?

3/8 seems a bit baggy to me..1/2 inch across the dimensions of this amp seems to make more sense to me..

Tips on doing this?

Im not in there yet and wondering if Im gonna have to restretch the grill cloth? is it a separate thing from the baffle..just secured to the baffle somehow?

Does it make sense to use the Fender style system for the speaker nuts? or just regular T-nuts found on most amps these days?

Thankz

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

fender changed from the floating one-piece baffle/grille board to the glued-in baffleboard with the Velcro attached grille board in late 1970/early 1971. I would suggest that you take this amp apart so that you know what it is you have there. If it is a one piece floating board, then things are simpler. You will be able to measure the board and see how it is built. They used 1/4” plywood to stand the grille cloth off of the board. A TR board from that era is a 5/8” board. if you have a glued in baffleboard, I would suggest cutting that board out. Leave runners to. Which the new one-piece baffle/grille board will be attached.

3. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

It's definitely a screw in Baffle..i bought the amp without a speaker and 'started' to take the baffle out but decided to stop once i was satisifed that it was a screw in..n get the amp off to the shop for recapping..

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I'd just pull the baffle, disassemble it, and copy it using plywood. While the chassis is out to your tech, you can have a new baffle made by the time the chassis returns.

BobbyZ, Blue Bill and Wally like this.
  5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

If you use the original Fender type speaker studs, I would advise using only 4 on the new baffle. From what I've read, anything more than 4 mounting screws is unnecessary, and it will leave the speaker options open to Celestions or other speakers with 4 mounting holes.
    Al

6. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

She's back already..moving on to the carpentry phase.

Any suggestions as to type of plywood? Thickness..should i match, in plywood, the old 5/8 dimension of the original board?

Yes, agreed on the 4 stud..as being enough..thinking though, that if i use currently conventional T-nuts..i can do all the holes..

Any reason to use the Fender style studs? Those things can be dangerous to a speaker if beer is involved..which it, of course never is..

And, this is a 70, with a mix of 69 parts and some 70 parts, older circuit with GZ34, it has a drip edge, the next to previous owner thinks it was original to the amp..looks to be, does not look like the baffle n grill cover have been messed with in any way....any reason to use the Fender studs and all 8 studs to stay close to originality?

7. Wally

Use the best plywood you can find. 13-ply marine birch would be the best. I have used some really well made 11-ply. Void free.

8. Krackle

Krackle TDPRI Member

Thanks Wally.

question on removing the grill cloth set up with it's 1/4 ply standoff piece from the baffle..

how is the grill cloth part secured to the 1/4 inch plywood being used as the stand off baffle?

Im not gonna find velcro from 1970 behind there. am I? ;)

Gonna dive into this tomorrow, just want to know what to expect and materials to gather beforehand..thanks

9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use particle board. Home Depot has some they sell in 2 ft x 2 ft pieces that is nearly the same as Fender used. Fine particle particle board. Painted black with one coat it appears the same. To make a fender baffle you need a "standoff" strip around the face to make it about 3/4" plus thick and hold the cloth off the face of the baffle. You can buy strips at the store also, I once used those yardsticks they have!
    BUT, often those original baffles are rebuildable. If it's not warped but cracked a bit you can just remove the cloth, glue it. Replace the speaker studs (AES has those special studs). Glue them in with epoxy or CA glue when you install them.
    I have had to rebuild the baffle in my 65 BFDR. It came out nice, although it wasn't cracked, the speaker and mounting screw holes were just worn out. I put threaded inserts in the mounting holes.

Wally likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The grill cloth wraps around to the back of the baffle on the top. I can't remember but I think it is cut off flush with the back on the bottom and sides. It's not secured to the front stand off at all. Getting it straight etc is a bit of an art. I have some long winded instructions I think. Come back when you are near that point!

If you are intent on replacing the baffle they aren't that much all done and ready from a cab builder, also Ebay.
    $58 from Mojo. https://www.mojotone.com/s.nl/it.A/id.42129/.f
    You might spend that to make your own.
    Wood $15
    Grill cloth $20
    Special studs $10
    Staples and gun etc. $10

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  11. Wally

if you have a one piece baffleboard upon which the grille cloth is attached, you will find as you take it apart how it goes together. Take some pics of the board and the amp and share here. You will get at least as much help as you need.

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.