SF '73 Deluxe vs. '65 DRRI which one to keep?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Johnny Morales, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

Another vote for the '73. Ive got a '74 and a new '68 custom reissue. The new one is fine, but the old one sounds ballsier and has more growl and character, both have EVM speakers.

Or, what XS said, keep shopping.

2. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm on board with this. But between the two, I'd keep the 73. Or bring it back and see if they'll deal with you a bit on the price.

3. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

'73 all the way. I bought one about 6 yrs ago and it's a much better long (and short) term amp than any DRRI - IMO.

4. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales Tele-Meister

Still going back and forth over the $300 difference. Tough to justify the extra $300 for the '73... I always second guess my purchases thinking "that extra $300 could have went to pay for summer camp for the kids, etc...".

5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Johnny Morales, there is no contest here for me....the vintage amp is worth much more than $300 more for my purposes.

6. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey man - if they sound equally good to you (or the DRRI sounds better to you) and the $300 will make a difference in your family, it would be no question for me. I'd listen to my own ears and keep the DRRI.

If the $300 doesn't really make a difference, then maybe it becomes tougher. But to me, not if you like the sound of the DRRI more. If so, don't worry what the web'z says.

If you like them equally, are comfortable with the price of the '73 and the $300 doesn't really make the difference, then it's tougher, right? I mean, chances are decent that the '73 (becuase it's older and rarer) will hold more value (but who knows, maybe in 20 years they'll be laughing at PTP and extoling the virtues of those early, retro PCBs?). And lots of folks (myself included) think it's fun to have vintage stuff that works well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.