Seymour Duncan's name on pickups turns me off

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Fred Rogers, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I like it, because it would add to credibility in resale. I've only had a few SD pickups, humbuckers, and they sound a bit clinical to me. - But not enough to stop me buying them again.

I would exercise great caution using solvents to remove the logo, especially acetone, I've had some horrible accidents with it and plastic. I would use a pen eraser, the Stewmac fret polishing rubbers, or a fingernail buffer, followed by metal polish

2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

How big is the resale market in Toowoomba, anyway? :D

I agree with waparker, generally-- the guitar's logo is enough. But I doubt I would go to the trouble to sand it off the pickup.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I will make an exception for the Les Paul signature on a ... Les Paul...

And probably a number of artist signature guitars that I care about more than SRV :D

Actually I think telex had it right. I'm shopping for Fender guitars and Gibson guitars because I want some sort of classic look. But this Seymour Duncan logo doesn't fit in with it Times New Roman computer font.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Man, it's huge, at least me and a couple of other blokes. :lol:

I think it would sway me if I was looking at cheap modders - which most of my guitars are. It would suggest that the seller was genuinely interested in guitars, not just in being cheap. It might not add anything to the value, but it could help it to sell. - Like swimming pools in houses here in Toowoomba.

5. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

It's not subtle, is it?

6. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

I always think it takes something away from the clean look of a pickup to have anything written on it.

7. spauldingrules

spauldingrules Tele-Holic

I used it on some strat pickups and it came right off. No dulling. Maybe the HBs are different.

8. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Don't really care for the name on the pickup, but Dimarzio, LACE EMG and others do it too.
    I'd think it would be easy enough to remove, polish it off or something. Or just put covers on the pickups, especially humbuckers.
    I've grown to prefer covered humbuckers, which ironically is how they were originally designed and meant to be used!

9. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

thank gawd leo didn't do it ... one less vintage thingy to cop on a repro relic. :cool:

10. rider7

rider7 Tele-Meister

I think it is cool that pickups maker put logo on it. Fender also does it with it Wide Range Humbucker.

Attached Files:

• 1910.jpg
      1910.jpg
      File size:
      41.6 KB
      Views:
  11. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Yeah that's classy .. and OEM. I guess most guys who like to mod their guitars don't want to change the look.

12. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I like the "s" logo but not the full name written out. If it only said "Duncan" it might be more easily digestible for me. The thing with a lot of these names on various parts of a guitar and bits of hardware is that they are usually single words with two or three syllables and they look cleaner from a design standpoint. Just my opinion of course.

13. jmclaren

jmclaren Tele-Holic

Me too.

14. Jon C

Jon C Tele-Meister

A non issue and perhaps a use for a Sharpie?

15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

many examples here of the same type of "branding". Kent Armstrong did it years ago on some of his p/ups.
    Could even add value, I like to know that I have Grover tuners etc. etc.
    if it bothers you, take up the ideas from those who suggest how to get rid of the labels.

16. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

I may be able to solve this problem. If you can tell me exactly who is making you buy these pick ups with names on them I can get my big brother to talk to them. He has real people skills.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Don't like it on vintage spec / look guitars either. I have the Jerry Donahue in my MIJ 62 Custom Tele and it doesn't look right...... but it certainly sounds great! I chose to keep the logo on because I didn't want to harm the surface and make it look like it was removed if you know what I mean...

18. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

I agree with the OP as well

19. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

I've noticed when watching movies older than 30 years finding that the scenery always looks more attractive, and part of that is the endless labeling of everything nowadays. People have accepted, for the most part, wearing corporate endorsements on their clothing and shoes like walking advertisements (for people who couldn't care less about them). I agree with OP and like to take labels off of everything if possible, I just like the look, unless I really like the company.

20. fyshnutz2

fyshnutz2 Tele-Meister

Really don't like the bold labeling on the pickups, unless it is like the Fender WRHB or the embossed gibsons. BUT, I do wish that pickup makers (hey Fender) would mark their pickups in some way. I know some PU builder do and I really appreciate it, Wilde, Rio... but if you don't have a good memory, or take notes, and take a guitar apart it's likely you will no idea what is in there.

You ever look at ebay and some chap is listing a "Genuine 1967 Fender Telecaster neck pickup" for $300? Let's not get all techy geeky here but how would I know if this is as claimed or Korean knockoff that has been scruffed up? (even better "Genuine 1967 Fender Telecaster volume knob", huh say what, prove it to me)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.