Seymour Duncan Stag Mag for neck position in Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Super Locrian, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Tele-Meister

I love my Brian Monty Tele, but the Fralin P92 isn't working for me. I realize a lot of folks rave about it, but personally I find it lacking in character, and I play the bridge pickup (DiMarzio Area T) almost exclusively.

I think part of what I'm after, is that "magnet in the coil" sound. This has led me to consider the Seymour Duncan Stag Mag, which has Alnico 2 rod pole pieces.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any good clips or YouTube demos, so before I order one I'd like to hear reports from my esteemed TDPRI brethren. Do you use it in full humbucker mode, or mostly split? Is it too powerful with both coils active?

2. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Man, I'd love to hear the answers to this.

I suggest you also post this question over at the Duncan forum. The Stag Mag is fairly uncommon, and you're going to need all the help you can get.

3. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

or you could get a Rio Grande Tallboy humbucker...They are pretty easy to come by I think.

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Stag Mag is a very cool pickup that offers serious clarity and bite like any rod magnet pickup. Wish I could help you with sound clips but I haven't seen any either.

5. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I had one in the neck position of my SG years ago. Very cool sounding pickup. Through the right amp, it had that perfect "Wind Cries Mary" tone

6. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had them in, of all things, an Ed Roman Baker. I sold it to buy a heritage 150, but the reason I had Stag Mags put in was to get authentic single coil sounds when split. I would recommend them for that reason, but I have no idea what they would sound like for a neck bucker in a tele. Hotter than typical PAF I imagine, but you do get a very nice SC sound when split.

as an added plus they look kind of menacing!

dan

7. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

A question to those in the know.... doesn't this kind of pickup induce serious string pull/stratitis with 12 magnetic polepieces in the neck position instead of 6?

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

It's been so long since I had it I can't answer specifically, but I know I did have to back it waaay down in the neck for a good tone. This is designed as a bridge pup.

dan

9. Pierce

Pierce Tele-Holic

had them in a tele (remember the ampeg heavy stud?) I used it split and it sounded great.
    you might have to fuss with pickup height)

10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The original Fender Wide Range Humbuckers had 12 magnets in them and there's no problem with strings pull. It's not the kind of pickup you set real high, close to the strings.

11. jrfrond

jrfrond Tele-Holic

Besides the Stag Mag and Rio Grande Tallboy, Tom Anderson humbuckers are also "Direct Magnet".

I once made my own Stag Mag using A Dimarzio Super Distortion, removing the screw polepiece, drilling the holes out to 3/16" and inserting Alnico 5 magnet rods, cut to the right size, and using a full wood spacer under the coil forms. Still have it. Sounds great!

mrz80 likes this.
  12. wfrcrd

wfrcrd TDPRI Member

I have an old one and I'm thinkink to use it on a chip tele.
    I'd like to split phisically the two bobbins and use it one in the bridge position and the other one in the "middle" position ( in that tele i made an additional hole in the body, as a stratocaster) , with a standard strat 5 way switch + a push/pull pot to obtain the humbucking configuration.

I have a lot of sigle coils pickup to use in the middle position but i suppose that the "other" bobbin of the stagmag should be magnet polarity inverted so i hope to get less hum when i use it with others.

Here is the wiring diagram

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/600511-need-help-tele-modified-wiring.html

bye!

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

ALnico 2 magnets. One of the weakest grades. Even with A5 magnets, it'd be no worse than 2 tele or strat pickups.

Another pickup worth looking into is the Lawrence Wilde L-600. Alnico 3 rod magnets, very clear sounding bucker. Not sure what the split sounds like, I'm waiting on mine, but I'm expecting good results. The L-90's split really well, IMO.

14. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

I had one in the neck position of a Gibson SG. Great for that Hendrix-y Wind Cries Mary sound

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.