1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seymour Duncan PU for tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Craig Williams, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Hi all. I've got a sweet little Thinline (Classic Vibe). Absolute joy to play but PU a little week. On the spur of the moment I got offered some near new Pick ups at a really good price so I took the plunge and ordered them I play pretty much clean, just want a nice clean bitey smooth tone.

Pick ups I got both Seymours. Bridge quarter pounder and neck SD Vintage (not stack)
    What could I expect from these pick ups / combination?

2. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

The QP is a pretty hot single coil. If it’s tapped, put it on a switch for vintage like and heavy sounds.

If you’re strict about vintage, that may not do it for you, but otherwise you’ll find it useful.

I have not used the neck model that you mention.

3. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I'd use either a Seymour Duncan Five-Two or a Jerry Donahue.

UPtele likes this.
  4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

The Broadcaster is very good also.

5. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I love the QP. It’s only downside is that it’s still a single, so still noisy.

My favorite SD for tele bridge position is the Hot Stack Lead.

That neck pickup is a great representation of a vintage tele neck pickup. I like a neck single brighter and more strat like, but if you’re down with the vintage style tele thing you’ll probably dig it a lot.

BB likes this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

The SD Vintage Broadcasters are probably what you want...very nice vintage toned pickups. Actually, one of my favorite telecaster have them and for the price they are outstanding.

The Quarter Pounders I have also used and it does put out a lot of punch, but it doesn't sound like a vintage tele at all. Good for drive, but not the best for cleans.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  7. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

You’ve already made your choice.
    It doesn’t matter, you’ll get 47 suggestions for something different.

You will know soon enough what you can expect, how about a review then?

Marc Morfei likes this.
  8. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

My experience of the vintage neck pickup is that it's pretty low output so the QP may be much louder unless you set it very low.

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

The QP bridge is very hot and middy and you will hopefully enjoy that. In comparison, the Duncan vintage neck pickup is weak and dull (dull due to the brass cover), and won't balance very well with a QP in the bridge. This is only important if you like consistent volume across your switch positions. I've used both of these pickups but never together. I hope they work for you.

10. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

APII

Rich tones

11. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I like the Vintage neck but mine isn't in a Thinline. It pairs with a Broadcaster bridge in an Am Pro.

12. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

The quarter pound is dark for a tele pickup and powerful. Seymour Duncan recommends 500k pots for them. You'll find your bridge sounds like a beefy P90 and the neck will be clean. I think you will have a fun pickup combination. The quarter pound has enough power and output that you can run it lower under the strings if you need to balance the output.

13. Arfage

Arfage Tele-Meister

I'm just putting the same set in today, except I got the tapped 1/4 lb. bridge. I'm expecting good results and, I got the tapped bridge. This gives me a new thing to do with the 4-way switch that's already in it. (1) full power bridge (2) tapped (3) tapped and neck in series (4) neck. I'm going with the series because before, after getting an earful of that I never used the regular two pickup position again. And the full power 1/4 lb. in parallel with vintage pickups works nicely; I know because I had a strat with the 1/4 lb. bridge and two vintage.

14. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

I have a Duncan "Vintage" in the neck position & a "Vintage Stack" for the bridge in my MIJ Custom Telecaster w/Bigsby.

Great clean sound esp. on the neck pick-up. The bridge pick-ups wired not to split, but noise cancelling.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.