1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seymour duncan little 59?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by hesleptonstuart, Apr 12, 2013.

1. hesleptonstuart

hesleptonstuart Tele-Meister

I've heard mixed reviews on this pick up, I read up on it and thought it be cool to have a coil splitting option with it but after reading customer reviews I'm kinda put off the idea. I have a Seymour Duncan quarter pound in another tele and love it although I want to go for something different. Any ideas? It's just the bridge pup I'm after.

Cheers

2. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

I've had one for many years and never liked it in "full humbucking mode" but really like it when the coils are wired in parallel . It's still humbucking [no noise] but sounds very Tele.

3. hesleptonstuart

Hey man, see that automatically makes me think to go with an actual single coil. Do you have 250k or 500k pots with your 59?

4. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In my opinion, the SD Lil 59 is pretty weak sounding split. In full humbucker mode, it doesn't have much tele tone. It sounds more like a rock n roll humbucker.

What kind of sound are you after?

5. hesleptonstuart

Something hot but still able to clean up nicely! My SD quarter pound is fantastic and I am tempted to get another but where's the fun in that?

Cheers guys

6. Stiletto

Stiletto TDPRI Member

I had one in a 2007 MIM Standard Tele. It was OK for humbucker tones but not inspiring. It was still in the Tele when I sold it if that says anything.

7. Stiletto

Stiletto TDPRI Member

I have read good things about the Dimarzio Chopper T if a split capable bucker is your thing.

8. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Di Marzio Pre-B1? not a humbucker but does have a powerful individual sound.

9. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I love my bridge 59 in full HB mode. It has the thick dark sound you'd expect from a HB, but it still bites like a Tele.

I'm not so wild about it split. It's very underpowered. One of these days I'll rewire it for parallel- I hear that's the way to go.

10. hesleptonstuart

Never played a Dimarzio pick up before. I'm going to look into it. Read up on the chipper T before but I have a Seymour Duncan hot rails pickup in ANOTHER tele and I'm thinking they're similar? Ill look into the other Dimarzio today!

11. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Depending on how hot you want, SD offers several nice pickups. Their Stack pickups cleanup great, but have enough power to match up to humbuckers and run some nasty dirt pedals. Brent Mason uses the SD Vintage Lead Stack.

12. sixtiesreject

sixtiesreject Tele-Holic

Hello Hello--

Yeah, I never use the "'59" in split coil or full humbucking mode for a Tele. The parallel wiring is quiet and sounds like a nice , full [but twangy] Tele.

13. arem

arem Tele-Meister

I had an Esquire with a Lil 59 and I never was able to fall in love with it. Replaced it with one of Rob Distefano's Cavalier Lion pickups and I love it. I have another Esquire with a 1/4 Pounder and the Lion can hang with it as a hard rocking pickup, while getting better trad Tele style tones as well. Great PU and Rob will work with you to make sure you get exactly what you want. Great price too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.