1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seymour Duncan: Just Throwing Out Some Love

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by castpolymer, Mar 24, 2013.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Just installed a set of Phat Cats ( hb sized P90's ) in my Aqua Sparkle Tele Deluxe and a set of Quarter Pounders in my CP Jaguar yesterday. First, the Fender WRHB may be the worst pickups I have every used, so improving on them was not hard. Unless you are willing to have someone like Telenator bring them up to sonic goodness, you are going to have to replace them. I tried a couple sets of humbuckers I had laying around ( after purchasing the adapter rings from Terrapin Guitars ). Both sounded better, but not " the sound " I was after. So, my birthday comes around and I have a bit of cash on hand and decide to order a couple sets of pups. The Phat Cats are really, really nice. A perfect mix of chime and growl. If you play clean a lot, they bridge that gap that most humbuckers fall short on IMHO. Chime and note definition without sounding too muddy. One of my pet peeves is having to change my amp bass and treble setting when I change guitars with different pickups. Tele single coils, mini - hums and the Phat Cats all play nice on the same settings. Easy install, good wiring schematic. No problems.
    I actually liked the stock pups on the CP Jaguar, but since I have modded the crap out of the CP already, I decided to go one step further. The Quarter Pounds add a much more rounded sound, especially to the bridge position. Noticeably higher output compared to the stock Fender " higher output " Jaguar pickups. No issues with install. The fit right into the stock cover and claw. I modded the nearly worthless upper switch position with two 250k pots and a .022 cap to essentially mimic a Strat neck position. I highly recommend it if you don't mind permanently mucking up the control plate on top ( which I don't ).
    I have had many SD pickups over the five years I have been playing and have never had a " bad " sounding one. For price, tone and Not Made In A
    - Third - World Sweatshop quality, SD is rock solid. I ordered a set of the SP90-2's yesterday for my Tele Thinline P90 build. I can't wait to crank out some Social Distortion goodness with those bad boys.
    Here is the link to Terrapin Guitars for their WRHB adapter rings in any color you need. You can also get a full pickguard from them or Warmoth that will accept a normal sized humbucker. http://www.youtube.com /watch?v=Vz7UB956OqU

Here is a video of the SD factory. As a small manufacturer, I actually find production process' interesting and a very telling sign of just how good the product is. Making one pickup that sounds good is cool. Making thousands that sound good day in and day out is very cool and much harder than it may appear.

2. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Duncan makes great pickups. I have a set of lipstick tube pickups that I recently moved to my Jay Turser strat copy from my MIM Classic Series '50's strat. I like them better in the Turser.

I've used a number of his pickups over the years. I like the '59, APII's, and Pearly Gates particulary. I used to jam with a guy that had a quarter pound in the neck of his tele and hands down that one of the best sounding tele neck pickups I've heard.

3. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea, they have some good stuff. Loved his strat neck antiquity and a seth lover I had once.

4. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

I'm using a Jazz & JB in a 1974 Les Paul Custom and every time I play out several people tell me it sounds amazing.

This has been going on for approx 15 years with these pickups - just happens to be magic with that guitar.

On the other hand I tried a "lil 59" in my tele and wasn't impressed - maybe it's a matter of personal taste.

Every Dimarzio I installed over the years was also really good.

5. eggman

eggman Friend of Leo's

Howdy,

Glad you're happy, Castpolymer. I've owned two SD sets: His vintage Soapbars and '59s. The former are fantastic while the latter proved semi-disappointing in my "bright" ES-335. FWIW, I'm considering an Antiquity HBer bridge for my ES-335.

6. '56Teleman

'56Teleman Tele-Afflicted

There is a certain Tele pickup that's often recommended here that I just can't stand but a friend has Antiquities in one of his Tele's and I have Antiquity humbuckers in my SG and both guitars sound fantastic. I also put a pine Tele together for a friend using a Little 59 and full sized 59. Nice!

Overall, SD makes great pickups and they're priced reasonably, too. I'm glad you found the right pickups.

7. 1cpw

1cpw TDPRI Member

Custom V

I have a Duncan Custom that I've had since 1980 or so and it's been in so many different guitars I've lost count. Several years back, it got an Alnico V magnet put in long before the Custom V was born. It's a very useful and versatile pickup that sounds good at lots of different gain levels. It can really roar too with the right amp. I've had other SD pickups including a couple of 59s and a JB but this is the only one still around that's currently in use. I've become pretty fond of DiMarzios for lots of things but that one Duncan isn't going anywhere.

8. Willie D

Willie D Friend of Leo's

The Fine '69 has an Antiquity in the bridge, and I can't imagine replacing it with anything else.

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

SD makes great pickups. I have a bunch of them in various guitars, and if he makes a pickup that fills your need, it is the way to go. (I have a strat with Alnico II's, a Les Paul with '59's, and 4 or 5 various Duncans in my teles.)

My only criticism of Duncan's philosophy is that he has not evolved from his original formulas. For example in tele bridge pickups he does a bunch of great vintage flavors ('54, Bcaster, Alinco II, 5-2, JD, Antiquity) that are all 7-8k ohms. But if you move up to his "hot tele" or Quarter Pounder you end up with 15-16k of wire and end up way over the top. (I have a Bcaster and a Hot Tele in two of my teles, and I WANT the 2nd one to be over the top.)

But it would be kind of cool if he "picked up" (pun intended) on the subtlety of the market and did a "medium hot" range of pickups for teles and strats--stuff like 8-10k "super Bcasters" and "super strat" pickups that are in the range of Fender Texas Specials or Rio Halfbreed/Muy Grandes. (Or DiStefano Lions, hawt Voodoos, etc.) Yo Seymour--you listening??? :)

But I have been a happy Duncan player for over 20 years and never hesitate to recommend his pickups to people who need what he provides... They are easily available, reasonably priced (talking about his regular line), and very consistent.

George

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have used a lot of SD pickups in my builds. Great company, and great sounding pickups.

My favorite is the Broadcaster, Phat Cat, vintage stacks, and vintage for Strat pickups.

11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'm always touting the the virtues of the Custom V. I have them in three of my guitars and they're terrific!

12. elelpe

elelpe Tele-Afflicted

I've been pleased with A2P bridge and Jazz neck in my 335, not too bright/sharp in the bridge and not too bassy/boomy in the neck like '59s I used before. Try them if you have the same problem with '59s in 335. I'm personally not a fan of A2 magnet based pickup in the neck of LP or 335 style guitar (too smooth/mushy) with Pearly Gates as exception. That said, Antiquity or Seth Lover might work for you.

13. adam.gotch

adam.gotch Tele-Meister

Hey guys, thanks for the great comments. Seymour loves creating pickups for Tele and I'll be sure to show him your comments. We are a family owned company and it really makes it worthwhile to hear your feedback and good experiences. YoGeorge, thanks for the comments, this is something we've discussed as well.

14. LawDaddy

LawDaddy Tele-Holic

I picked up a pair of Custom Shop Billy Gibbons aged PAFs from a forum member, amazing experience. Whatever extra mojo is in there (I can only imagine they are briefly wrapped in Rev. G's beard before shipping) they are magic in my 2001 Gary Moore LP.

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I'm a fan. Duncan's are my goto pickup upgrade pickups. I love my Pearly Gates in my 335 copy, and am head over heels right now for my p-rails with triple shot rings. Like others have said, while they are probably not "the best of the best," they're damn good, and a great value.

16. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Wow...I am surprised this has actually gotten thru to someone at the company! It's been on my mind for years...

Thanks for acknowledging my post, and if you need a tester for a "super Broadcaster" I'll be glad to volunteer :D (I have, um, seven teles with one set up as an Esquire, so I have the ability to compare stuff in the real world.)

George

17. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

Tell Seymour that I appreciate the keychain bottle opener thingie. I will pop a cold one in his honor.

18. burtwangcaster

burtwangcaster Tele-Holic

I really love the 'Antiquity 1955 Tele' in my esquire build. Looks right and sounds great.

19. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Interesting. Should we expect somehting like a broadcaster v.2 in the near future?

20. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Bigben55 - what have you got your P-Rails in?

I'm thinking on dropping a set in to my Epi Dot, which I'm loving playing, but beginning to find the stock pups aren't all I'd want (They sound great with a lot of drive, less so when clean). I'm dithering about it though as they are half as much as the guitar cost in the first place.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.