1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seymour Duncan J Donahue or Five Two for country?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by miksteps, Jun 6, 2017.

1. miksteps

miksteps TDPRI Member

Hello everybody, this is my first post on this wonderful forum-comunity, hope you can help me with your wisdom. I have to choose between the Jerry Donahue model or the Five Two model, both from Seymour Duncan and both for telecaster bridge position. Wich one will get me closer to the clean/OD lead Nashville country sound like the stuff from Brent Mason in Alan Jackson records? My guitar is a Fender Nashville Tele MIM. Thanks for your help, regards.

2. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Been lurking awhile?

I have a JD and like the idea of the 5/2. The JD has a lot of meat on the bone. Would expect the 5/2 to be meaty too. Tough decision, huh?

Brent is better known for the SD Vintage Stack, you probably knew that. The VS can be wired, with a DPDT switch, for a "power boost". Probably a parallel/series. I've done it with a SD Hot Stack.

Phasing will be an issue with the Fender/SD combo, assuming the pickups in your Nashville are Fender. With any of these SD pickups, phasing can be switched.

Have fun.

3. miksteps

miksteps TDPRI Member

Thanks SPUDCASTER. My options are limited to these models. The combinations doesnt bother me so much. I just want that when I switch to the bridge position the country-nashville sound arises. Wich model would put me closer? Regards.

4. SPUDCASTER

Probably the 5/2.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Welcome..
    and yea..probably what SPUD says of those choices.

6. miksteps

miksteps TDPRI Member

Thanks uriah1 and SPUD, I guess I'll give the 5-2 a try. Last question: What aplication the Jerry Donahue would be best for? Sorry for my english, hope the question is understood :oops: GREAT FORUM, TDRPI RULZ!

7. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

I think the JD is wound a little hotter than the 5-2. I have the JD in my AmStnd Tele, I love it when I want to get a crunch tone but still have that Tele bite!

8. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I had a 5-2 set in a partcaster and while I love the idea of alnico 2 and 5 magnets mixed for tighter lows and sweeter highs, I found these pups to be particularly lifeless and uninspiring, especially the neck pickup... Maybe it was the guitar but I doubt it because a swap to a Don Mare set transformed this Tele in a superb player !
    On another hand I absolutely love the JD bridge in another partcaster. Very versatile pickup, from clean to fuzz, it can twang, rock, and everything in-between !

Tommyd55 likes this.
  9. miksteps

miksteps TDPRI Member

Thanks tismack and nic'o'caster :)

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

All I can say is I have the JD and it is just an excellent tele pickup and getting country sounds out of it is very easy. It is a little hotter than some pickups but you can always back the volume off.

dougstrum likes this.
  11. SPUDCASTER

Country stuff plus Stones/Zeppelin if need be with the JD.

Seemed to work pretty well for Jerry with the Hellecasters.

12. miksteps

miksteps TDPRI Member

Thanks tfarny and SPUDCASTER.

13. Rich B in Tempe

Rich B in Tempe Tele-Holic

I dont mean to dis SD, i had both thoes pickups in my tele-didnt do it for me- if you care to go to the (min) trouble, check out Cavalier! Rob D. At Cav sold me a bridge called the FAT LION!! It was all over for lookin for that hard-to-find-bridge pickup-Sorry Seymour!!

14. miksteps

miksteps TDPRI Member

Thanks Rich B in Tempe. My options are limited to those two SD models only.

15. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Given your limited options, I'd prefer the JD. The little extra bit of juice would come in handy.....

I don't think you can go wrong, though. The Five-Two is a nice design.

16. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

I'm a country finger picker clean type, and I have a 5-2 in a bridge that DOES it all. I love that pickup. Gig with it constantly. The neck was not to my liking, strangely, at all, but man that bridge is fantastic!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.