Seymour Duncan Dark Sun

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by AndyPanda, Sep 16, 2019.

1. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I just picked up a Dark Sun pedal and thought I'd post here about it. For those who haven't seen my introductory post, I'm new here and new to learning guitar (but a long time musician on other instruments).

So the first thing I noticed when I received my Dark Sun pedal, it didn't come with a power supply and I don't see any option to buy a power supply for it at Seymour Duncan. Now I'm a dinosaur and the last time I bought an effects pedal was in the 80's ---- so maybe this is normal that everyone has a pedal board with one big power supply for all pedals?

Anyway - for a device that doesn't have a battery compartment, I was just expecting it would come with a power supply. But I went thru my stash of ancient gear and found a Roland power supply with the correct voltage and polarity - but the connector cannot fit into the power socket because there is a thick shoulder where the power socket is mounted from inside the case and the hole in the case is too small for the plastic molding on my power jack. I had to trim the power jack plastic away so it would fit into the hole and make a good connection. I guess this might be some new standard and if my power supply was newer than from the 80's it would know better than to have a fat molding, eh? :p I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of these old geezer wakeup call moments for me (what? there aren't record stores anymore? How about some cassettes? - actually there are record stores again so I should have said "CD Stores") Except I see people still buying the same old pedals I remember from back in the day - and paying 10x the price for those old ones.

Anyone else using one of these Dark Sun pedals?

The picture makes the jack look really gnarly where I filed the plastic down - but it fits in there now.

DarkSunPowerSocket.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    DisharmonicDark99 likes this.
  2. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

You bought yours new and you didn't get a power supply with it? It should come with one.

3. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I looked on SD website so I could order a power supply and couldn't find one to order and when I looked at the pedal info on Sweetwater's website it says "Power Source:9-18V DC power supply required (sold separately)"

I've got plenty of suitable power supplies but the plugs don't fit well - I'm wondering if I buy a modern multi plug cord whether the moldings on the jacks are small enough to fit in that hole in the case because none of mine will fit without me filing them down first.

4. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

most pedals i've bought don't come with power supplies - i think you're just expected to use a one spot. i'd need a HUGE power strip to run my board if not for those.

AndyPanda likes this.
  5. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I'm guessing the modern power cables you use to patch from your pedalboard power supply to the pedal have smaller diameter molding (the plastic bit you grab) so they'll fit into the Seymour Duncan pedals? I've tried two different older power supplies that I have (ancient wall wart type) and both had the same issue with needing me to grind down the diameter of the plastic molding.

My other pedals have the power jack flush with the outside surface so that plastic molding doesn't come into play at all - but the SD pedals have the power jack recessed down inside that narrow hole so about 1/8" of the plastic molding needs to fit into that narrow hole for the jack to to get into the socket like it should.

I was going to order a daisy chain power cable - hoping they will fit.

6. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

BTW .... the Dark Sun is an awesome sounding pedal. I didn't mean for my thread to be a complaint - just wanted to learn what I don't know about power cords for pedals:D. Check out this great demo:

7. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Wow...you'd think for nearly $400 they could throw in a power supply.

AndyPanda likes this.
  8. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

I remember going to buy a pedal a few years ago after not buying any since the 90s.

The whole “culture” had changed. Power supplies weren’t included and I couldn’t get anything thrown in — not even a cheap patch cord.

Back in the day I always got a little something extra. It was almost a rule.

I sure did give that GC guy a hard time that he expected me to buy a pedal that didn’t take a battery or have a power supply.

Like a good negotiator I left in a huff without buying it.

Funny, if he would have thrown in a $3 cable I’d have bought the pedal and one stop. It doesn’t seem like the big box stores are allowed to do that so much any more.

I have since adjusted to more modern expectations.

AndyPanda likes this.
  9. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

That made me laugh - I've done that so many times when I really wanted the thing and then I've kicked myself for wasting the whole trip to the store and coming home without what I went to get.

ScribbleSomething likes this.
  10. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

Unfortunately, most are sold separately nowadays.

AndyPanda likes this.
  11. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Most players nowadays are going to use a pedalboard with their own choice of power supply (Voodoo Labs, Truetone, CIOCKS, etc). With power supplies such as these you can account for different voltage and polarity requirements, plus they will be clean noise free power.

AndyPanda likes this.
  12. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Actually I didn't know it didn't come with one. I tried it at NAMM. They do sell a power supply for it on their site, but I figured it would come with one. Huh.

AndyPanda likes this.
  13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

I gave up on technology when my mp3 device got stuck in my 8-Track player.

AndyPanda likes this.
  14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Not to derail but this reminds me , even ten years ago or so if you went into a store and bought a guitar they would at least throw in a strap and/or some strings it was kind of apart of the deal

Now days you ask for a complimentary set of strings with a 1500 dollar guitar at most places and they look at you like you asked them to give away their first born

AndyPanda likes this.
  15. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

They do sell one? I have not been able to find it. Doing a search on their website the only Power Supply that comes up is one that puts out AC not DC - can you please post a link?

16. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

I think this will do it.

DisharmonicDark99 and AndyPanda like this.
  17. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Thanks!

Mincer likes this.
  18. DisharmonicDark99

DisharmonicDark99 TDPRI Member

I've been really digging this pedal for a little while now, lots of fun coming up with ideas using it though I'm still kinda figuring it out as I go. I wish the pedals would come with the power supply as well, buying mine separately from SD wasn't a problem but it's just a nice convenience having it included in the initial purchase. Curious to know what you think of the pedal if you got it working?

AndyPanda likes this.
  19. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

I like the pedal a lot. I've been running it on that same Roland power supply that I shaved down the plug so it would fit.

In the time since I first posted, I've been reading about isolated power supplies (and supplies that claim to be isolated but aren't truly isolated). And I've been learning which pedals I can daisy chain and which need to be isolated.

I bought a One Spot and also bought an inexpensive Donner power supply - to my surprise the Donner was quieter than the One Spot (for less than half the cost). I found that I can daisy chain my analog pedals without any noise issues but the Dark Sun needs its own power supply (or a true isolated supply). Running it on the separate supply and it's nice and quiet with the other pedals.

FenderLover likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.