Seymour Duncan Broadcaster

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
A couple of years ago I wouldn't have given this pickup a chance given it's name. They picked the dumbest marketing name that they could have. An overwound Broadcaster type pickup is A3 poles wound to about 10,000 with 43awg. I've got a couple of Mojotones like that in my Esquires. The SD Broadcaster isn't even close.

This guitar has been through a lot of changes. It started out life here:

And then...

I've had a love hate relationship with the Duncan Jerry Donahue that's been in that guitar for a few years. I finally decided to try something different. The SD Broadcaster is paired up with a Lollar Tele Special neck, which sounds like an overwound Strat pickup to me. I played at last month at a big gig and everyone told me it sounded great. I really thought it was a little too bright with the steel saddles. I played it again, last night, at a smaller gig where I'm more comfortable and can hear better, and now I think I'm convinced.

Attachments

• PXL_20220723_213216611.jpg
    PXL_20220723_213216611.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 70

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
I liked the one I installed in an Am Pro a few years back and so did the gent who bought the guitar from me. The choice of name did kinda bug me, but it had a better sound than the V-Mod without going overly twangy or dark.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
A couple of years ago I wouldn't have given this pickup a chance given it's name. They picked the dumbest marketing name that they could have. An overwound Broadcaster type pickup is A3 poles wound to about 10,000 with 43awg. I've got a couple of Mojotones like that in my Esquires. The SD Broadcaster isn't even close.

This guitar has been through a lot of changes. It started out life here:

And then...

I've had a love hate relationship with the Duncan Jerry Donahue that's been in that guitar for a few years. I finally decided to try something different. The SD Broadcaster is paired up with a Lollar Tele Special neck, which sounds like an overwound Strat pickup to me. I played at last month at a big gig and everyone told me it sounded great. I really thought it was a little too bright with the steel saddles. I played it again, last night, at a smaller gig where I'm more comfortable and can hear better, and now I think I'm convinced.

Can I ask what your feelings are on the Jerry Donahue? Why the love/hate?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've tried the SD BC pup twice in the past few years & it didn't float my boat. :(

Glad you like it, though...:)

The La Brea bridge is currently my favorite, and I've gotten used to staggered poles. The Broadcaster is nice for something different. It's got the A5 twang with a healthy dose of midrange, but it certainly not as midrangy as a Lollar J Street that I have. I had tried a Lollar Vintage T in this guitar and hated it. A little too twangy for my taste. I probably should have tried the Special T, I imagine the SD Broadcaster is fairly similar.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Can I ask what your feelings are on the Jerry Donahue? Why the love/hate?

It's just a hair too dark for country in my opinion. I absolutely love the string balance on it though with a straight 9.5 radius. It's perfect. It's also not too bassy on the low strings unlike say a Nocaster. It's a great pickup for blues and rock, and just shy if being perfect for country.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
It's just a hair too dark for country in my opinion. I absolutely love the string balance on it though with a straight 9.5 radius. It's perfect. It's also not too bassy on the low strings unlike say a Nocaster. It's a great pickup for blues and rock, and just shy if being perfect for country.

I see you mentioned you have a J Street, too. How would you say the J Street and the Jerry Donahue compare to each other?

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
The Broadcaster is a good mix of vintage and modern, and if you pair it steal saddles, it's got plenty of top end bite. It makes up far what I didn't like about the JD.

The La Brea bridge paired with a Cavalier Lion King neck is still my favorite combo with brass saddles.

Last edited:

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I see you mentioned you have a J Street, too. How would you say the J Street and the Jerry Donahue compare to each other?

Totally different. The J Street still has that alnico 5 snap, but it's offset by the thick midrange. The Jerry Donahue has a touch less low end, and a slightly softer top end, and much better string balance.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Been rolling with the Seymour Duncan La Breas. The bridge pickup is extra-sweet. Feels effortless going between off-clean twang and singing overdrives...and likes to go both places with a non-harsh cut.

The La Brea neck is a lil bass-heavy for my liking. But I make it work.

I would enjoy hearing what neck pup others are pairing with La Brea bridge. (No intention to jack the op's thread).

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Maybe I shouldn't say slightly softer top end. The pick attack is different.

It to me it's very similar to to the Broadcaster type tone I was getting out of my Esquires when in position 1. Kind of alnico 3, but with enough bite to work with a neck pickup and modern wiring.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Been rolling with the Seymour Duncan La Breas. The bridge pickup is extra-sweet. Feels effortless going between off-clean twang and singing overdrives...and likes to go both places with a non-harsh cut.

The La Brea neck is a lil bass-heavy for my liking. But I make it work.

I would enjoy hearing what neck pup others are pairing with La Brea bridge. (No intention to jack the op's thread).

Yeah, I went with that neck in my Hildacaster, and it's just okay. If you want a Stratier neck, for sure check out the Lion King. You'll have to order it north clockwise, but you can also just flip the wires.

This is mostly Lion King neck, and some La Brea bridge when I was testing out my 6V6 loaded Twin Reverb.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
@Cosmic Cowboy the downside to that combo is that the middle position kinda sucks, but that's the trade off. A P90 and snappy bridge sound phenomenal together. I'm getting to where I'd just rather have that crisp Fender neck tone, and a perfect Tele bridge tone, and that's what you'll get out of that combo.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
Totally different. The J Street still has that alnico 5 snap, but it's offset by the thick midrange. The Jerry Donahue has a touch less low end, and a slightly softer top end, and much better string balance.

How do their outputs compare? Also, which sounds more aggressive and crunchy with overdrive?

Thanks so much for your insights. This is helping with my next pickup purchase.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
How do their outputs compare? Also, which sounds more aggressive and crunchy with overdrive?

Thanks so much for your insights. This is helping with my next pickup purchase.

The J Street is a little hotter, and it can certainly rock. That pickup is in a mahogany body Thinline that I have. It's hard to say. I'm partial to the Donahue, but the J Street is probably more aggressive. I'll PM you with a video that I can't post here.

Humbuckers

TDPRI Member
The J Street is a little hotter, and it can certainly rock. That pickup is in a mahogany body Thinline that I have. It's hard to say. I'm partial to the Donahue, but the J Street is probably more aggressive. I'll PM you with a video that I can't post here.

I like the Donahue because it’s thicker sounding than your average Tele, but the side effect seems to be not-the-crispest pick attack and smoother sounding overdriven chords. I wish I could somehow have the thickness of the Donahue but harder pick attack and crunchier power chords.

I’m wondering if I should go lower output pickup for more treble or a higher output pickup for more drive (the risk being that the greater output may end up sounding darker and therefore smoother).