1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seymour Duncan Antiquity Humbucker magnet swap? School me...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by jonrpick, Oct 19, 2020.

1. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

Hi all... I looking for some advice here. I'm new to magnet swapping and I'm hoping I can tweak a pickup with a new magnet rather than replacing the whole thing.

I have a set of Duncan Antiquities in a LP clone. I have 3 similar guitars, and this one is the lightest and most resonant. I feel like too much low end is being lost to the body's resonance, leading to weak, indistinct bass tones on the neck pickup. To compare, the other two LPs are both noticeably heavier, but to be fair, they also have different neck pickups in them (a GFS Mean 90 in one, a Duncan Alnico II Pro in the other), but this same set of pickups sounded much bolder in a previous guitar (which was also heavier), so I know it's the guitar and not the pickup.

Anyway... The Antiquities have degaussed A2 magnets in stock form. The Alnico II Pro in another guitar sounded bigger, but I'd like a tad more, so I was considering A4 or A5. I tend to like a lot of clarity and snap in a neck pickup, so I was thinking of skipping over the A4 in favor of the A5. Would that possibly put me in the ballpark? What's the sonic difference between UOA5 and A5? I seem to have seen a reference to long vs short magnets; would one be preferable over the other?

***Edit: I forgot to mention... The Antiquities, especially the neck pickup, seems to have more compression than I care for. I feel like I'm fighting it for control sometimes, picking harder than should be necessary to get the notes to jump out. I'd read that the degaussed A2 magnets have a more compressed feel, which I'm happy to eliminate. I don't need it to sound like a 60yr old PAF. A new PAF would suit me just fine!

Thanks in advance for any help...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Personally I'd leave the Ants alone and get a different pickup. It's kind of like, "if you have to ask - DON'T!".

But if you're set on doing this, since you have to remove the covers first - do that, then reinstall the pickup and see if that suits you better. That may be enough.

rangercaster likes this.
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I agree ...you may go through a lot of work with no promises of improvement...

I would trade or sell and get a different pickup ...

4. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I've had the cover off before when I was playing with flipping the magnet, so I have no problem removing it again and disassembling the pickup. I don't see any reason not to experiment with a different magnet, as these are just clones of admittedly inconsistent pickups from the 50's. They're not sacred. And the original PAFs had A2, A3, A4 and A5 magnets at different times, depending on what was available.

5. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Coincidentally I've been swapping magnets around in a stock Gibson P90 in the neck position.

I removed the stock magnets, which I *thought* were A5, and have tested A2, A3, A4, and a different set of A5. I'm reaching the conclusion that I like the A5, actually, and the different A5 set that I have are noticeably stronger than the stock magnets, which I am not sure now are A5.

The A5 has really nice bass and treble, and seems more clear in the mids than A2, A3 or A4. The others are nice too, but the A5 are working for me really well at the moment.

I was able to hear differences with each of the magnets.

jonrpick likes this.
  6. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

Pretty sure the modern Gibson P90's have A2.
    Al

Wallaby likes this.
  7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I bet you're right, and it makes sense - there is another thread where I whine about needing more clarity and less mud from the neck, and the A5 I have in there now seem more spanky.

I'm still learning about magnets, but hoped the experience would help the OP or provide ideas.

jonrpick likes this.
  8. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Those are valuable pickups, if you think you'll mess them up, don't.
    If you still wanna then Philadelphia Luthier sells the mags pretty cheap and it's not hard to do, imo.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Friend of Leo's

The Ants are a great wind, and they take mag swaps well. Plus, they're unpotted.
    Especially since you've already had the covers off, I'd go ahead and try it.

Regular A5 would give you bigger lows with more modern-sounding highs; UA5 has sweeter treble and richer mids - a little more vintagey in both tone and feel.

I love UA5 myself, but if you want boom and sparkle A5 is probably the best choice.

I've bought mags from AddictionFX for years. Reliable source and good selection.

PS: Save the degaussed A2s, just in case you ever want to sell the pickups.

jonrpick likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.