severe earwax build up: what do you do?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by thunderbyrd, Dec 30, 2018.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Yes, the sizzling is the wax getting eaten away. Are you letting it sit for 10 minutes before trying a rinse?

Use a kleenex after the peroxide... does it have a yellow tinge?

2. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

which means the half of the population that thought it was probably silly remains convinced and the other half stares straight ahead at a flat horizon looking at a moon where no man has trod, unvaccinated and unmoved by actual facts.

drf64, alathIN and Boubou like this.
  3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have let it sit in my ears for up to 30 minutes. and I have had a very slight discoloration on cotton balls a couple of times, but usually nothing.

the controversy over ear candles: once again, several years ago I had this problem and the ear candles absolutely worked. cleared it up and everything was fine for another year or two. but since then they haven't worked for me at all. I think those candles were bigger and made different and I can't find that kind anymore.

4. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

What I find helps with my ear wax: leaving my ears alone. It’s really hard to do, because a good cleaning with a Q-tip after a shower feels soooo gooood, but leads to over-production of wax, some of which gets shoved in deeper by the cotton swab, leading to impaction. The delicate skin of the ear canals also gets irritated, eventually getting very scaly and itchy, compounding the problem.

I use over the counter Murine kit, filling my ear canal with the drops, and letting them do their thing for about 20 minutes, then giving a good irrigation with warm water using the bulb syringe. Repeat until the big globs come out. You’ll feel (and hear) a difference immediately.

Then I leave my ears alone. No swabs. No cotton balls. No jamming my pinky in there. No in-ear hearing protection. The ear canals will heal and get back to normal wax production, which naturally moves contaminants out.

lammie200 likes this.
  5. Greggorios

Greggorios Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

+1, forget a regular MD, you need an EMT doctor.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Murine ear removal better than debrox ..30 min each time. May take 3 nights if bad. Use about quart of hot water from Tupperware bowl in bathtub when using syringe. I’m an expert. lol

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI forum mobile app

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

ok, in case anybody is curious: went to the doctor yesterday. my right ear had no wax at all, the left was packed. She put stool softener in my left ear, left it ten minutes, squirted it about twice and gobs of wax poured out. Yes, boys and girls, stool softener.

but I still wasn't hearing right because I have fluid on my ears. so i'm taking Flonase now and nothing's happening that I can tell. but at least i'm done with all the rest of it.

ukepicker likes this.
  8. rdwhitti

rdwhitti Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They don't do this anymore around here it seems. I don't know if it is insurance issues or what but the ENT that I used to go to will no longer do this. Previously when I went to my audiologist she would find wax every time and sent me to the ENT next door, but now he won't do it anymore.

I recently got hearing aids and the audiologist did the pick thing for me so that she could do the hearing test. The last time I went there was a different audiologist and although he did it he changed me $60. Glad to pay it to be able to hear again!

9. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yep, it looked a lot like the burnt wax she was cutting off the top. Just dripped down inside the candle. A buddys wife used to clean her ears with Q-tips, until the day she put a hole in her eardrum. Luckily I've not had bad impacted wax, but Debrox has worked for me. Just need to lay down and let it work, do multiple applications, and use warm water to flush it out. I remember a doc long ago saying never put anything smaller than your elbow inside your ear. Good advice IMHO.

10. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I went through this about a year ago. I go camping in spring and fall, for music festivals. Lots of folks camping in the woods in close quarters, many of them staying up way later than I do... so I used ear plugs to get sleep, for 4-5 nights running. Anyhow, last day there, my ear clogged up. As in: I couldn't hear. :mad:

Got home and did the routine with the Debrox... got some goo out, but the hearing was not improved. Went to my GP, he's good... he saw no goo, but it was pretty inflamed. He blamed the earplugs, which (odd as it might seem), may not have been as clean as they ought to be, there in the dust and dirt and debris of the woods. Got some antibiotics as I recall, in case it was infected. Returned to the doc a couple weeks later, still can't hear... but still clean as a whistle in there, though no more inflammation... doc said it was a pressure imbalance, and would eventually equalize, and hearing would return to normal. His main advice was to LEAVE IT ALONE. No Q-tips, no more Debrox, no incantations from dancing hippie girls offering paper & wax candles and sitar music. Leave it be.

After some weeks, it was slow... but it improved. It took weeks until it finally felt normal. It was scary... I really started thinking I had permanent hearing loss. All told, I went about two months with a clogged up left ear.

Sorry, not the best report for the OP. Mother nature did her thing, but she took her time. I'm pretty sure some of the 'remedies' I tried, poking and prodding, before I went to a doc, made a bad situation worse and caused a longer recovery. But I hear fine now ... more or less! Rock&roll, yalknow! :D

11. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

How do you know if you have too much wax? Sometimes an ear will itch, and I use my pinky or, preferably, a q-tip. Most of the time I don't see much discharge at all.

But, my hearing is going down, down, down, and if ear wax just might be playing even a small role in that, I would be interested in pursing something.

To the end, I asked my GP to have a look at my ear wax situation. He said they were both clean as a whistle or bone or something.

Over the years, I have tried various remedies, home and commercial, but experienced no particularly noticeable results.

I can sort of see why some people have the sensation that something bad, rotten, smelly, etc. is somewhere inside us, and feels as if it must be removed or eliminated. I guess that's what the cleanse diets are partly about. But even before that, there have been tons of methods and philosophies about removing stuff. As a 20-year old, the guys in my band and I got into Arnold Ehret's mucusless diet. We went around eating mucus-eliminating food and avoiding mucus-producing. We lots pounds every week and looked like whippets on stage. Sometimes we would wake up with our eyes stuck closed with dried mucus (like sleep, more more of it). Never went the enema route, but I had friends who didn't feel right until they had had a big cleanout. For the record, I have never had a doctor recommend any of these things.

Back to ear wax:

Would anyone suggest that I pursue this with an ENT? I would hate to make an appointment if it really isn't necessary.

12. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

She put stool softener in your ears.... Did she tell you to put flonase up your ass?

you might want to check the fine print:
    upload_2019-1-3_17-49-21.jpeg

13. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

If you had some wax removed but it still feels clogged, you may have a mild infection. Your ears can still feel clogged until the infection is gone.

14. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

hey extreme noise terror may be abrasive grindcore pioneers but i don't think they're abrasive enough to knock earwax out.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It has been brought to my attention that this thread may have been the straw that broke the Bad Dog's back. TOOOO MUCH ear wax! A terrible thing for a forum to have to bear. Quick, get these men some exlax for earwax.

[​IMG]

beach bob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.