Severe buzzingon bridge pickup after 4 way switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by VctrEco12, Aug 18, 2019.

1. VctrEco12

VctrEco12 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone! Hopefully I am posting in the correct sub-forum, please redirect me if I am not.

I recently decided to take my MIM Tele and rewire it to put in a 4 way switch to have the option for neck + bridge in series. After putting it back together, it seems like it all worked out fine and sounds great, but there is a whole lot of buzzing coming from only the bridge pickup. The neck pickup is far less noisy, it gives the normal amount of noise that you would expect from a single coil. But the bridge pickup (or any position that involves the bridge pickup) gives off tons of buzzing.

The buzzing goes away whenever I touch any metal parts of the guitar like the bridge or the pot knobs. But while playing, you can hear that buzz loud and clear. Just wondering if anyone had an idea on what's up with it that I can try before really taking it apart and checking every single wire I put in. Didn't know if this is somewhat common, but it seemed interesting since it is only the bridge pickup. Thanks!

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

You have a ground issue. Time to go back over your work.

Did you run the dedicated ground for the neck pickup cover for a 4 way switch?

3. VctrEco12

VctrEco12 TDPRI Member

Yes, I had purchased a Twisted Tele neck pickup to put in at the same time as doing the switch change, and it came with a cover wire already on it, which I grounded to the volume pot.

4. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

What about a ground wire to the bridge? If your bridge pickup doesn't have a metal back plate, you'll need one to ground the strings.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Just recheck all the grounds. Its definitely a ground issue, but I'm not great at diagnosing.
    From memory, you clip the cover connection from the black wire and run separate ground from neck pickup cover.

There should be black wire from bridge pup to volume pot, the volume pot is grounded to bridge, has 2 lines from the 4way switch, and a wire to jack (tip)
    Then a wire that connects to the spot where the V pot grounds go should go to tone pot, and tone pot grounds to the sleeve part of Jack.

Hopefully it's one of those, or I'm lost, and it'd be part of the switch.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.