Seventh Circle Audio pre's

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by achase4u, Jul 25, 2009.

1. achase4u

achase4u Tele-Meister

Anybody have any? Any A/B tests and sound clips?

Im thinking of building one with a couple t15's

I still dont know how much of an improvment to expect.

I have an maudio dmp3 right now, that goes into my maudio audiophile 192 interface.

I use sm57 and cascade fathead to record my amps with... and sometimes drums.

I just wish I could hear the difference, then I would know if it was worth the 400 bucks or so...

You guys think theres a big difference from a dmp3 to a SCA type pre?

2. vikki

vikki Tele-Meister

I don't think you really appreciate the benefit of a good preamp until you start stacking tracks, perhaps a guitar track on its own or just two or three tracks you might not tell that much difference. I think the difference comes when you start adding 10 plus tracks, i can get some great results just using an Award Session JD10 preamp (i purchassed for 18 dollars on ebay) on guitar and a Raven Labs guitar preamp on other sources. I also have a JLM dual discrete opamp pair of preamps that we put together, they are brilliant preamps but you also need a top notch AD.DA to get the most out of em. I have the M Audio 2496 like you....i sometimes wonder if people hear what they want to hear, they spend a lot of money so they really think it sounds way better:eek:
    Only my opinion...
    Vikki:cool:

3. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

SCA pres are "the good stuff" - high end all the way. Now, having said that, don't simply give up on your DMP3 - it's alot better than you may think.

Keep your pre, work on your microphone placement techniques.

mud

4. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Ditto all. Now, you do need the wiring, chassis and PS if plan on going this way. I' guess if you are a good DIY'er then you can fab them yourself. I can't. These are great and fairly reasonable. The more you build the cheaper they get per channel. Just to do one or two? You might try instead a Great River or Pacifica. Hamptone is another project company that makes them as 2-channel units instead of 8 channel chassis. But again, SCA is great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.