1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Setting up a basic recording studio at home

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by sothoth, Nov 10, 2020.

1. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Good question. I suppose it’s mostly for my own amusement and sharing the music with friends and other musicians. I think what you’re getting at is an important point... that if I want to sell something I’ll probably need to invest more or rent “real” recording space. Not ready for that yet and if/when I am there’s a studio nearby to consider and maybe I could consider the expense of upgrading my own equipment the cost of business. As a hobbyist I can justify spending a few hundred dollars no problem and see if it’s something worth continuing with and spending more on later.

beyer160 likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

This goes to my earlier point. Achieving decent demo quality is pretty easy and affordable. Achieving pro studio quality is much harder. Think home video vs. Hollywood....

3. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

But that's not really true. If you want to record music in the style of most forms contemporary pop music, it's completely in reach, both economically and logistically. Talent and skills are the limiting factor. If you want to sound like the Stones in 1971 or another rock, country or soul band with a live-in-the-studio vibe, it's a lot tougher.

voodoostation likes this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

BillieEilish did her huge hits with her brother in their house, so yes. But the brother probably spent the proverbial 10,000 hours honing his production chops. It’s not a gear constraint as much as developing the skill. When I use a studio I value tha talent of the recording engineer the most, with his fancy equipment and well-designed recording spaces being a secondary bonus.

5. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Sothoth. Try to keep the wife. Get V-Drums with mesh pads. Every other option is more expensive, time consuming and likely to leave you thinking it could sound better.

6. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Well if I could sing as well as Billie Eilish or I had 10,000 hours to hone my engineering chops like her brother did, I think the last think I’d be worried about is skimping on the studio budget :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.