Setting depth for body roundover

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by sleazy pot pie, Apr 22, 2019.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

eallen and telemnemonics like this.
  2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

Its amazing how many build threads lately have shown a picture of someone routing the side of their guitar with a nice big divot torn out of it.

I have the highest respect for routers and use them with care. But they are indispensable for the work we are doing.

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

If it's mahogany, be aware that ribbon grain reverses on every stripe and around end grain areas, chunks can be torn out quickly unless you're doing real fine cuts with sharp carbide. jvin's idea with starting with 1/8" first is a wise choice and you'll find out quickly which parts of the curve are going to be challenging. Easy does it.

crazydave911 likes this.
  4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

All great advice. I am going to order a bit and get the table put together and knock this out.
    Thanks for the help.

5. 10orgtr

10orgtr Tele-Meister

Don't ever climb cut with a router PERIOD! That illustration with the arrows should be disposed of immediately. I don't care how many people say they get away with it, sooner or later they will get bit. Hopefully when it happens they won't loose any body parts.
    Cheers,
    Woody

crazydave911, Mr_Q and guitarbuilder like this.
  6. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

mine has a powerful hunger for those neck pickup mounting springs - where ya fiddle around trying to squeeze it down, sandwiched in between PG and PU, with your third hand on the adjustment screw and ya just about get it and the dang thing sprangs off, shoots past your ear, and is never to be seen again.
    after a coupla those episodes I switched over to surgical tubing.... it seems to be less susceptible to the twilight zone's tractor beams.

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I never use 'em... I use sections of silicone tubing.. that way when the little booger wiggles free from my fingers and lands on the floor, I just say, "Alright you little POS, you wanna lay down there.. be my guest", and I cut another from the 100 foot roll of the stuff, later I sweep it out with the rest of the Cigar ashes, Pickguard screws.. picks... etc... at my age the floor is a helluva lot further away than it used to be... strange how that works.. :p

rk

eallen and RogerC like this.
  8. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

What you have to do Ron is get a dust pan with a handle ................I have one...............but I can't always remember where I parked it! Getting old is a real pain in the butt!

DC

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Ronkirn

Yeah, I have several "solutions". my number 1 is the pickup magnets on an extending handle.... I fasten Neo-magnets to 'em. so they can pickup an 11 pound Monkey Wrench, or I can use 'em to pull the 8" Jointer onto position... :D

r

eallen likes this.
  10. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I'm with Marty and the others on routers and climb cuts. I have used one regularly for years but always remember that left index finger that encounterd a router bit years ago. Works good enough for tuning but no feeling in the tip to play with.

Eric

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  11. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Yeah Ron, I used to drink a lot too.

:rolleyes:

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. tigger

tigger Tele-Meister

Resurrecting this since I'm doing strat 9/16" round-overs. Would climb cuts not be possibly safer with a trim router? The body is clamped down, the router is pushed down and held with both hands..

I've only been really successful going very slowly in the difficult areas, which causes burn sometimes but I don't mind that as much as tearout.

13. Ronkirn

Climb cuts are pretty much inevitable... Just use a sharp bit...and slow progression... do not remove all the material in one pass.. take a little off in several passes , increasing the cut each time...

r

14. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm left handed so right index finger........while doing an acoustic bridge

eallen likes this.
  15. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

I was told to Route Down Hill and I like to post this video link to help people and make them think I'm smarter than I really am. :D

16. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Climb milling is fine until it isn't. YMMV...:)

eallen and crazydave911 like this.
  17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

For the OP, of course test it out on scrap which is not always the same species as your guitar body. Understandably, 1/4" radius is what you have on hand and it seems more delicate than the usual 3/8" roundover that comes in most starter router bit sets. However, 1/4" radius is really really fat on a guitar you might want to hunt for a 3/16" bit or just try the 1/8" bit. I like a 1/8" roundover for many things because it's just a little bit more than softening the edges with sandpaper and looks more professionally or consistently made.

18. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Make a wide sub base for your trimmer.When I say wide I mean 12 inches square or more , preferably clear acrylic sheet or similar.
    Put the body on a non slip surface.
    Put light pressure with one hand on the part of the sub base over the body, use your other to push the router.
    Works every time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.