Seth Lover Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JL_LI, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

Wax potting increases the capacitance, because wax has a higher dielectric constant than air. The added capacitance would reduce high end response, but that's not related to microphonics. Even still, there might have been other factors that can change the treble, such as re-installing the pickups with different heights, or strumming the strings differently.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  2. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Yes, that Ebay store is definitely legit. I bought a set of the Duncan/Lover SH-55's from them about 6 months ago.

They are the 2 wire version and un-potted. Solid nickle silver covers.

I think they are excellent PAF type pickups - lot's of note clarity, sweet sounding, plenty of sparkle, and touch sensitive, but that's what I'd expect from a Lover/Duncan collaboration. They respond very well to my playing style - working the volume and tone knobs.

I've got them in an ash bodied "tele" with a 25" scale neck with the regular Tele-style 3-way and 1 volume and 1 tone and I just love the sound I get out of this setup.

It's a little different from what I'm used to - 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, and 2 tones in a Les Paul, but I can still work my vol. and tone controls the way I like to.

Bruxist likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

OP again. I want to thank everyone for their input. As I said in my original post, I have $250 to spend at Sam Ash. That limits choices to what's available there. The SD Seth Lover pickups may not be dramatically different from what I have in my SG now, but many of you report improved clarity and that's what I'm looking for from a new pickup. My hearing isn't what it was when I was younger and my hearing aids introduce a warbling sound when I play so improved clarity has to come from the guitar. I'll stop by a local Sam Ash store. There are two of them near me. I'll see if it makes more sense to order at a store or on line. The Sam Ash web site doesn't show Seth Lover pickup sets in stock but they should be available soon enough. I'll report back what I think of them. Thanks again everyone. I value the diversity of opinions expressed here. I learned a lot.

bftfender likes this.
  4. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

One tick toward more clarity than the Seth Lover is the Antiquity. You get a clearer tone in another unpotted pickup.

5. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I put a set of Seth Lover's in a guitar I built for a good friend's 65th birthday. He keeps commenting on how responsive the guitar is. We added a Strat Velvet DiMiz p'up in the middle for additional sounds but he says the neck and bridge shine. Great pickups, I have the neck version in 2 guitars.

Mincer likes this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This post is to let everyone who posted to this thread know what transpired between Feb 3 and now. I also want to express my sincere appreciation for every post here. I learned more that I expected, about pickups and about other things as well. The consensus seemed to be that Seth Lover pickups would be a good choice but would not be dramatically different from the 490s in my SG now. I've also been thinking about my Gretsch Anniversary with its mud switch and individual volume controls that roll off treble AND CLARITY as fast as loudness. EsquireOK's post spoke to me. I'd never given serious thought to an equalization pedal. I have different tone issues with other guitars. Considering that, an equalizer started to make sense. I was limited to what is sold at Sam Ash, but one choice seemed like it might be a good one, the BOSS EQ-200. I found the clarity I was looking for by gradually rolling off the six sliders at the bass end of the spectrum for my Gretsch and five sliders for my SG. I got better balance between strings when playing finger style on my CS Strat and my Tele with a small roll down on the treble end of the spectrum. My Strat with VN pickups benefits from a roll down at both ends. I'm sure I'll be tweaking settings over time, but so far this pedal is doing more than I expected. It's giving me better balance between strings than my Keeley compressor pedal. The EQ-200 has four memories so I can plug in, select a profile from memory, and start playing. Thanks again folks. I know we all get pretty obsessive about our tone. I can be downright anal about it. I want anyone who made a suggestion I didn't follow to know that those suggestions were critical in helping me come to a decision that I believe is the right one for me.

PS: I get that it didn't happen without pictures, so here's one with Annie. She was the real problem and I'm loving her a little more these days.

Mesa Boss Gretsch.JPG

BB, r1962j and kingofdogs1950 like this.
  7. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I have the Seths also in a Les Paul and like very much. One thing in particular aside
    the good sounding is the neck is a less output wind which really gives better clarity for that
    position and balances much better with the bridge pickup.
    I hear good reports on the SD Antiquities but haven't tried those.

8. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

The Antiquities are just as touch-sensitive as the Seths, but with a little clearer midrange.

9. acVox

acVox TDPRI Member

It's great that you have found your solution with an e q pedal, but as I'm familiar with the 490 range of Gibson pickups, have several sets of Seth Lovers, which have more clarity that the 490,s.

Should you decide to persue alternatives in the future I'd recommend you to take a look at SD, s Alnico II Pro humbuckers. They have the clarity with a less forward midrange. They are modest in output, and the fact that Slash is a user should not lead you to believe that they are only suitable for rock, as this pickup is wound on the same Leesona winders used for the Antiquities, Seths and so on.
    All the best with all you do!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.