Seth Lover Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JL_LI, Feb 2, 2020.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The quandary I'm in is this. I have a gift account at Sam Ash and Sam Ash has a VERY limited selection of pickups. The second issue is that I'm tactile defensive and I hated the feel of the bare bobbins of the 490s so much that I covered them. I appreciate all of the suggestions made here. I can get covered Seth Lovers from Sam Ash. Everything else I see on the Sam Ash web site is either a Gibson pickup or is uncovered. A small improvement will be better than nothing. I don't play in the dirt and my amp has a good reverb so I can't see spending money on a pedal that'll never be used. I have two Sam Ash stores near me. I'll check store inventory. Seth Lovers are backordered on the web site. I'm still open to suggestions. An equalization pedal will change the frequency profile some but it can't improve clarity. From my experience with single coils, the only thing that does that is an underwound pickup. I'm thinking that if I can get better clarity, I can balance the frequency profile with the guitar and amp controls.

bftfender likes this.
  2. driver8

driver8 Tele-Meister

Seths are fantastic sounding pickups - I have a set in an epi dot that sound great (altho they feedback more than I expected so I have to change them) but in an SG? IDK. I agree with an earlier post on HB sized P-90s (if SA has any). Somehow the single coil thing seems more country to me than Seths.

Edit to add to your last post that if you go with HBs, uncovered will be a tad brighter and clearer, tonally more country, imo.

3. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What do you mean?

What do you think Seth’s are?

They are standard sized HBs. Wound on the machines the PAFs were wound on. By a guy who learned from Seth.

They are what a new PAF sounded like when it rolled off the line in ‘57.

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

i enjoy this..there is 21 Gibsons about 35' from me & 13 amps...but my ears must lie ...theory & no clips & likes is the new truth.it seems..anything to buck the ol tried & true methods & 50 years of recorded music..correction 17 gibsons 4 japan lawsuits

5. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Meister

The demo's I've heard sound amazing and I've been thinking about building a Tele around them for a while, but I hate the whole pickup mounting ring look in general, and direct mounting HBs to the body has also seemed like a bit of a hassle especially in the area of height adjustments. So it hasn't happened.

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

JL_LI always enjoyed your posts I remember when i got my mesa 5:25 couple years ago your pointers where spot on. I kinda went back and got the guitars out since this post came out. tried to set some amps up like the mesa was. I found something..it was the 93 Gibson nighthawk with a hum on the slant & mini in neck...i can split the coils...that mini hum was super clear of all the guitars,, i like it for clean for country application & it has a smooth metal cover. I know you won't be able to get one of those but it was nice on minihum on both coils & then split it was so articulate..kinda always used this when the session required that precise picking that didn't force into overdrive with attack unless you really were aggressive. Its not like a p90 & that mid thing they do..its dual or single coil doing very well at its job.Its always a challenge..heck the same [pickups can sound dif in another guitar. The seth is a great choice for a paf type sound..i never got to hear one live in SG but many LP's//found this for ya,

BlueCajun, Fearnot and driver8 like this.
  7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry fixated on WRHB. I always refer to Gibson's as PAFs. I saw from other posts that's what he meant.

Bruxist likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

This is SO wrong. An e.q. pedal is the most powerful and versatile pedal you can have. Properly employed, it can greatly improve clarity...and greatly tweak all sorts of things. It can do far more than a pickup swap from 490s to any other P.A.F. style pickup, Duncan or otherwise.

The caveat is that you need to know what you're doing with the thing. Getting clarity involves cutting lows more than it does boosting anything.

What amp are you playing through. If it has a master and a gain knob, what are they set at?

stevemc and gitold like this.
  9. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I have a Seth Lover in my jazz box. It sounds glorious. Highly recommended.

Mincer, uriah1 and Skydog1010 like this.
  10. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

[QUOTE="EsquireOK, post: 9599521, member: 73381

What amp are you playing through. If it has a master and a gain knob, what are they set at?[/QUOTE]
    Please see post #9. At home the gain and master are both pretty low, between 10 o’clock and 11. I don’t play in the dirt. Treble set between 11 and 2 is the first gain stage.

bftfender likes this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Can't speak to using them in an SG, but I replaced the muddy factory neck pickup on a Thinline ASAT BLUESBOY with a Seth and it made a huge difference in the clarity throughout the entire spectrum, especially the mids.

Used to play SG's as a kid, I can see putting in a set to replace 490's in that I am familiar with that HB series of pickups.

I think you will enjoy the upgrade.

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars TDPRI Member

You may want to consider Saturday Night Specials by Duncan-you can order them through any SD dealer. Big craze over at the Gear Page(from the more experienced guys). Very hip pickups, and you can get nickle-silver covers for ANY SD pickups. Personally, I am a JWP/Wagner guy (DB neck/GW bridge).

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Crazy idea: how about TV Jones Classics?

driver8 and JL_LI like this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Personally, I love the Seth Lovers.. absolutely excellent pickup. and a 550.00 Pot? that's nothing.. My wife rolled off and came home with 2000.00 collection of some kinda ritzy cook ware.. thing is, she doesn't cook... the stuff's string in the cabinets, fresh as a new born baby ... not as cute though . . :p

r

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have one in the bridge of my Epiphone SG Special. I really like it there, especially for slide playing. I didn't originally buy it for this guitar. I bought it used, really cheap because it had a short lead. I've had it in a few other guitars but it's sounded best in the SG.

16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

This is a good suggestion. I have a Gretsch Anniversary. Maybe there but the next project I have in mind is trying to change the mud switch to two high pass selections. I get all the treble roll off I need from the individual volume controls. I’d like to use the switch to cut the lows. Please don’t reply to that. I’ll start a new thread when I’m ready to have a go at it.

Greggorios likes this.
  17. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

To me they have a nice open and airy sound that's very vintage but still cuts nicely through the mix. Really nice pups.

18. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Seths are my favorite pickup. Period. I'm surprised, though, that you said that the 490's lack life. I have them in my SG and, if anything, they have too much life and need a little calming down. I've actually considered replacing them with Seth's for that reason.

Someone said that they aren't a standard humbucker size. I find that very hard to believe. o_O

bftfender likes this.
  19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I get why you say they need calming down. The 490s aren’t exactly subtle. The B and E strings are shrill. Trying to take that away with the tone controls on the guitar or with amp settings makes them muddy. I believe more balanced pickups would help. Thank you for your input.

darkwaters likes this.
  20. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

Just out of curiosity, have you tried adjusting the individual pole pieces ?

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/how-to-set-pickup-pole-piece-height

I've made 3 changes to the 490's in my SG that have made them a lot more usable for me. (It sounds like we have similar tone tastes.):

1) Installed Gibson covers on the pickups. They came uncovered. Never wax potted them. (Love unpotted pickups. One of the reasons I love Seths.) Never even soldered them. Didn't need it. They snap right on and the magnets hold the covers in place with a death grip. The 490's are Alnico 2's and so are the Seths. So now they're kind of like Seths on steroids.

2) Lowered them wayyyy down. The neck is almost flush with the pickguard.

3) Adjusted the pole pieces as described above.

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.