Seth Lover Humbuckers?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by JL_LI, Feb 2, 2020.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The single advantage to getting older is that I’m still getting older. My wife turned 70 yesterday. I’ll be there in March. My son and my wife’s brothers threw a surprise party for us yesterday. It was the no gifts kind but there were exceptions. We got Williams Sonoma gift cards for both of us. My wife took them and came home with a $550 Staub pot. I kid you not. One BIL gave me a Sam Ash on line gift card. Reality is, I don’t need anything but I can’t see getting $250 in strings. Giving it some thought, I’m wondering if SD Seth Lover pickups make sense for my SG. The 490’s in it are a little lifeless. If I bring up mids in my amp they lose clarity. Reviews of Seth Lovers seem to be uniformly good except a lot of folks write good reviews to justify what they spent. Folks here at TDPRI can sometimes be pretty forthright in their opinions. I’m looking for opinions. Does replacing 490’s with Seth Lovers make sense for someone who plays mostly country and stays out of the dirt? Is this a drop in replacement? My tone controls don’t filter out highs when I drop the volume. I like the roll off on both volume and tone controls. I’d just like to be able to either add mids from my amp without losing clarity or have pickups that give a little more of both mids and clarity. The card is a Sam Adh card and I was surprised how limited the selection there is. Thanks for sharing your wisdom and expertise.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Geo, CFFF, Bruxist and 1 other person like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like Seth's. Not really a HB guy though...

Skydog1010 and uriah1 like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They sound great, IMO.

uriah1 and bftfender like this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

A real PAF or one done right..is incredible,,,it cause note to jump off the strings..I played a few originals last few weeks as i am in LP purchase mode..got 4 with all dif pickups. The 97 Orville is close with the stock gotoh pups everyone on internet rags on..there is treble ..harmonic thing going on that only they(paf style) can do. I have T tops..a lil too modern..have Wagner Crossroads..close..i love 490;s but they are modern. Lollar.wagner..even the Seths,,they get you there..but even back then they pick ups where hit & miss...check out Doug & Pat youtube..they go over a lot of em & demo good & fair. But i tend to think more so in a LP..i am primarily an SG player & i only use 2 of em 490/490 & 61 Alnico Zebra in SGJ. that is all i need..the alnico 2 & 5 's...my collector friend has some late 50's early 60's non touched LP's..they all are dif in the harmonic content...the SG is naturally more aggressive in the mids with a snarl compared to LP...you have 490's man they kill in my Super's & marshall's..can run the fine line of edge of breakup..funny in studio sessions..always lead with SG's & Rytyhm with LP's even on country work..

GuitarsFromMars likes this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

No. In short Seth's won't fit in a standard route/surround. And on a Gibson? Get some PAF repros if you want a classic sound, or P94s for P90 sound in humbucker package. 490 series are more sort of modern.

Actually Seymour Duncan P-rails are fantastic especially with the super switcher surround. 3 times in one pickup.

6. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

My 2 cents is that it would be a good use of your gift cards given your play style.

7. bftfender

re read your post close..the 490 are very middy..you are not playing a marshall or vox are you? ..if so your mids would be very prominent with 490's..no mid scoop.no muddy..did you adjust those pickup heights at all ?.it might be your amp/not bad thing, all amps are good, might be a natural scoop in it ..not being negative...just an observation.

8. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

I've had Seth's in two guitars (a Les Paul and an ES345) for close to 30 years. I play pretty clean traditional blues, some R&B, soul, and jazz and love them in those guitars. I also had them in an SG for a few years. They were an upgrade in the SG, I liked them better than the tarbacks they replaced but I eventually replaced them with a Duncan Jazz neck/'59 bridge combo for a little more brightness and clarity of alnico 5 over alnico II as in the Seth Lovers. I preferred the unpotted sound of the Seths but I liked the brightness of the Jazz neck for an all-mahogany guitar a little more. Sold the SG a few years ago in a big thinning out.

Seth Lovers are a "replica" of the original PAFs desingned by Seth Lover and fit in standard humbucker rings and routes.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Nick Fanis and bftfender like this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The amp is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25. Treble is set at 11 or 1 o’clock, mid to 9 or 10, and bass at 9 or 10. The “tone” controls build gain. Bass and mid turned higher add mud. The contour is set for a mild scoop but to me, it fills the sound more than it scoops mids. Two Strats and a Telecaster and a Gretsch Anniversary work well in this range. When i play main line PRS guitars I’m impressed by the clarity. That would be ideal. My favorite of all my guityis my CS ‘69 Stratocaster. The underwound pickups give it beautiful clarity. I’d like to find that kind of clarity with humbuckers fullness.

bftfender likes this.
  10. bftfender

jazz/59 is fantastic set up...we do jazz & cabaret music but also at drop of a hat..its a metal show...love that combo. I have LP with a P90 neck & Dimarzio mini super distortion neck that is slowly becoming a weapon for multi genres

JL_LI likes this.
  11. bftfender

ok..cool..I had 5:25..you might like a Zebra alnico 5..they responded better than my 490's in the Mesa..great amp !! Seth might get you done..i just never heard one in SG..gentleman above mentioned alnico 5...that can def brighten up in comparison..

12. bftfender

So glad you mentioned amp...i share same as your results with 490's in the Express..with 2 dif sg;s with them. Only i did notice..a cheapy Klon CL did wonders just with its tone sweep to the 490's but not anything close to the Alnico 5 pickups. It's always a journey !! But a fun one !! Interested to see what you get !

13. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Duncan Jazz is a great neck pickup. I replaced a 57 Classic that was too muddy with one. Kept the57 Classic + in the neck of my LP.
    I also really like the DiMarzio Air Classic humbuckers. Have them in my Eastwood McGoech 1000. Bright and clear.

14. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Seths and Antiquities have been on my radar constantly since acquiring a Gibson.

I'm also "researching" Throbaks, Wizz, Wolfetone, Zhangbucker and the like.

I thought the boutique single-coil world was nutty and expensive, I have a lot to learn!

My guitar has '57 Classics fore and aft now, and I'm *still* figuring them out. I like them more every day actually.

JL_LI and bftfender like this.
  15. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

Seths are very dynamic pickups. As long as you don't play with a ton of gain and a lot of volume, they are amazing...especially if you depend on touch-sensitivity.

JL_LI likes this.
  16. bftfender

keep in mind SG will sound dif..but this is a cool videos

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Seth’s are the best bang for the buck in a brand new vintage style Gibson humbucker. They are my go to PAF style pickup. That said, if you already have the 490 R and T, I wouldn’t spend the money, as the differences won’t be huge. Seth will be a little “sweeter” and lower in output.

If you want something in the same vein as a PAF, but a little clearer, I would try the Whole Lotta Humbucker set. Excellent balance of beef and clarity on those pickups. And yes, I have put them in an SG, and the sound is incredible. They will boost your output, but they are also extraordinarily controllable, because of their inherently balanced tone. I believe that they would be great pickups for country music.

Elmore, Antigua Tele and gkterry like this.
  18. bftfender

lets hear it in the SG

MickM likes this.
  19. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I'm not generally a 'bucker guy but a year or so ago I grabbed a used Collings "335" style with Lollar Imperials. Now I'm not about to tell anybody that I can dial up Tele or Strat tones but they are the first I've played with that I won't call "mudbuckers". Great clarity and sparkle on the neck pu even with the tone rolled back almost half way. Same with the bridge and they both retain that dual coil bark.
    Don't know the price as they are the stock (and staying) equipment.

JKjr likes this.
  20. bftfender

it so interesting..how every body experiences dif things...i never found a humbucker muddy ever....but i use Marshall with them..when i use a fender amp,,,its scooped in comparison.. amps..Lp into a marshall is just a win win..nothing needed..no mud ever ..it has nothing to do with a tele in comparison..no one seems to want to talk about the amp or the speaker...its a must in the equation..

this is a great time on a a gear site for some of the opinions to be demonstrated with clips of them playing..wait..what...actually a hands on direct response with factual sounds...on a gear site...

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.