Set up result

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by AJ Ray, Aug 9, 2020.

1. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Got my tele deluxe back today after a setup. Had some awful buzzing and u was a lot lost.
    Action is considerably lower than when I handed it in and it feels far more comfortable to play than where I had it set.
    He re-cut nut slots, adjusted the relief (more flat I would say with the smallest amount of relief)' put some thing in the saddles to help stabilise them as they weren't very stable and were almost maxed out height wise, dressed fret ends and polished frets, put some foam under the pickups and put my new strings on that I left for him in the case.
    Verdict is that the comfort is way better, buzzing is less although he said there may be still a little and the action may need to be raised slightly and he would be happy to do any tweaking free of charge which I think is agreeable. The remaining buzz is negligible I would say. Now i have some piece of mind that a long time pro has done the set up.
    Only 40 uk pounds which seems a great deal to me and he was very pleasant into the bargain. I would def recommend him to others

StevesBoogie and tubegeek like this.
  2. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Great to hear, thanks for sharing. I have never gone the professional setup route, but will be doing so shortly with 2 electrics and 1 acoustic.

At the risk of sounding obvious, if there are any tuning issues, the new strings may require a good bout of manual stretching. I have heard that setups will sometimes forget, or ignore, stretching new strings and leave that to the owner.

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Congratulations on finding a competent tech who charges a reasonable fee. He’s worth his weight in gold.

4. AJ Ray

AJ Ray Tele-Meister

Good thinking about the string stretching Steve. I will have a play tonight and just make sure. Thanks.
    I'm pleased this far anyway 8bar. Seems a fair price to me

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.