Set-up/comfort question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by graybeard65, Dec 8, 2019.

1. graybeard65

graybeard65 Tele-Meister

The saddle height adjustment screws dig into the side of my palm quite a bit, and I’m not sure how to make them more comfortable.

has anyone found a good working solution?

i would think that filing the underside a bit to lower the amount that they protrude on the other side might work...but that seems like it might be tough to do.

I’d love a solid suggestion!

Attached Files:

ben smith and nojazzhere like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Do you have a bench grinder? Grip the grub screw (carefully) with pliers. Carefully grind the BOTTOM of the screw on grinder wheel. Reinsert grub screw from the bottom of the saddle, and adjust saddle height. I HATE those things sticking up.....I've sliced my hand on them before.
    Take it slow, and you should be OK. The worst that could happen is you "bugger" one up, and have to buy a new one. Good luck!

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yeah, grinding them down is a common solution. Just take it slow so that you can still use a screwdriver to adjust as them as needed.

Screws sticking up from saddles don't really bother me, but combinations of parts and setup where they don't stick out are wonderful.

graybeard65 likes this.
  4. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Get a few of the proper size nut so that you can put the nut (use 2) on prior to g.rinding. Then when you are done grinding removing the nut will remove burrs caused by grinding. It will also give you something safer to hold on to. You could also buy a more appropriate size set screw and store these so you have the originals.

5. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another option would be to tilt the neck slightly at the join with a suitable spacer.
    Just a small change here, and you will wind the bridge screws in (raising the strings at the bridge to compensate).
    Now bridge screws are not protruding.

6. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

In the past I have gone to my local Ace hardware store found ones that work for me (I was experiencing same issue as you).

Frodebro, graybeard65, Andy B and 2 others like this.
  7. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Here' is the best way to trim the saddle screws so they don't jab you in the palm.

Make sure your guitar is properly set up to play the way you like.

Use a small ruler to measure the protruding portion of each saddle screw. Write down each dimension.

Next, remove all the screws, in order, and stick them in order onto a piece of duct tape (it holds them in order), or use a piece of corrugated cardboard with six holes poked in it with an awl to hold the screws in order. If you have individual saddles, you need 12 holes.

One at a time, chuck a screw into your cordless drill with the bottom of the screw (not the slotted/hex recess top) facing out. Measure the protruding portion of the screw and remove the dimension you need, *plus 1/32"*. For instance, if you need to remove 3/32" from the low E screw, grind off 4/32" (1/16") from the screw.

Squeeze the trigger on the drill and hold it against the fine wheel on your running grinder. Make a nice hemispherical end on it. If you like, you can keep it in the drill and run it against 400-grit paper to polish the rounded end. Put it back in order and proceed with the next screw.

Take your time and constantly check your progress. Even if you grind off a bit too much, it will still work fine with brass and steel barrel-type saddles.

CAUTION: if you're working on a Strat with bent steel saddles, accuracy is critical because just the very top of the saddle screw is what engages the saddle. Grind too much off, and the screw will be too short.

Cheers!

Bob M, graybeard65, jvin248 and 2 others like this.
  8. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I've trimmed mine by chucking them in my drill and holding the tip at a slight angle to a flat mill file. But any of these solutions will work if you take your time.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

graybeard65 likes this.
  9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

shim the neck pocket? i did that to get them just right so they are flush. it looks like it would be a hassle to grind all of them down and they look pretty low to me anyway so a shim wont hurt, yes i stand by the shim idea looking at it more you would have to grind a lot off them screws it's not worth it

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    graybeard65 and 8barlouie like this.
  10. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic

20191209_125800.jpg

Smiley face etc.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Mine stick up a mile high yet for some reason i never feel them. I think there might even be some skin in the hex holes.

I would file the bottom down so the tops of the screws are level with the saddles if they bothered me.

nojazzhere and graybeard65 like this.
  12. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

IIRC, you can buy shorter saddle screws (check out Darren Riley in NC), or...

swap out the ashtray for a modern bridge, or...

adapt WingedWords solution. ;)

graybeard65 and Andy B like this.
  13. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I know that Callahan sells the shorter set screws but I don't know if they will fit in saddles other then theirs. I have a new set of comp steel saddles with the short screws and they are great. I also have other teles with the protruding screws and they don't bother me.

graybeard65 likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Options:
    1)Just buy shorter screws (beware there are two different thread types)
    or
    2)File the bottoms down, it's hard to find the right length. Error to the short side as there is plenty of thread in the barrel. I often end up cutting them with a strong pair of lineman's pliers firs then file flat if there's much to take off.
    or
    3) shim the neck heel end so they end up screws flush/barrels up.

#2 is probably best although it's a PITA, unless you have a music store that carries a good selection of bridge insert screws.

graybeard65 likes this.
  15. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

I need to take as much 2.5mm off the bottom of two of mine. If you decide to grind the screws do make sure you are holding them in something secure - I'd suggest in a threaded device because, given half a chance, they will escape into space and immediately assume a chameleon-like camouflage against wherever they are hiding! I'd recommend getting some spares - they are available.

nojazzhere, graybeard65 and MrGibbly like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

MonsterBolts.com on ebay sells 6 and 8mm sets for a few bucks (and includes the dinky allen wrench for them). WAY easier than trying to grind those little suckers

graybeard65 and dinomike77 like this.
  17. dinomike77

dinomike77 Tele-Meister

Yeah, I play with my hand an bored on the bridge, for better or worse. I also vote for buying an assortment of screws and just selecting the one that doesn’t stick up in a given saddle. I also trim and file the intonation screws so they don’t come above the plane of the strings. The only thing that still digs into my hand occasionally are the little tabs in the corners where the plate is folded for the ashtray cover, but it’s not enough to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

graybeard65 likes this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Eewww...

Chunkocaster likes this.
  19. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I like the idea of shimming the neck. Those saddles are awfully close to the bridge.

graybeard65 and ben smith like this.
  20. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

already suggested, but will second -- shorter screws, they're easy to find online.

graybeard65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.