1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Set-up and action, intonation etc

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ghostriff, Mar 30, 2012.

1. ghostriff

ghostriff TDPRI Member

Hey guys
    I have a Strat and LTD eclipse and an acoustic
    now all of them have neck wrapping and fret buzz, and need the necks cleaned up and stuff
    I would prefer doing my own setup and cleaning and stuff to save some money rather than taking it to a music store and having them do it
    I've seen a whole bunch of youtube clips but I'm still having problems getting it down...
    any tips would be appreciated
    Are there any special tools I need?

2. KyAnne

KyAnne Tele-Afflicted

You probably should go to Radio Shack or Best Buy and get you a little digital barometer for the house too. They are around $20 bucks. Keep the humidity around 45 to 55% and it will probably be a huge help in the warpage/buzzing department. No joke. Let me see if I can find a link that may help you (if things are way out of line, you really should consult a luthier).
    Check this out....http://www.musiciansworkshop.com/humidity.html

3. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

The only tip I could give you that might not be covered in the you tube stuff is to be realistic about the action you can expect to achieve given that you are not intending to put out any bucks. I was guilty of that when I was first learning to do my own set ups. I would get frustrated because no matter what I did I couldn't get that super low action I thought I wanted. Eventually I learned that it was a fantasy on my part and that I really didn't need or want that low of an action. If it's comfortable to your hand and fingers you've got what you are looking for. If you simply must have an action lower than that, or if you have performed all of the set up procedures correctly and still can't achieve a reasonable and comfortable action then money spent on professional fret leveling is called for.

4. willc68

willc68 TDPRI Member

For setup and intonation a set of small screwdrivers and allen keys are a must.
    A good tuner helps too.
    I got one of those Snark tuners and it is really close to the strobe type in terms of accuracy.
    Not bad for 11 bucks.

5. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I appreciate wanting to be able to do that work yourself. I think everyone should have some skills in that department. The biggest thing you are working against is the enviroment you're living in. That desert is drying out the wood in the worst way. You can get a humidifier and try to stabilize the wood or keep adjusting the guitars.

I also think Beachbum's post has a lot of good info in it and deserves a re-read. There's a sticky on fret leveling in the Tele-Technical section of the forum that will help

6. ghostriff

ghostriff TDPRI Member

To be honest Ive always been hesitant when it comes to working on the truss rod and adjust nect bows etc
    I can never really do it comfortably or even competently because im unsure about what Im doing and how exactly to go about doing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.