1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Set Screw for Knobs on Telecaster Custom

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by choosebronze, Jun 11, 2020.

1. choosebronze

choosebronze TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

I have an original Telecaster Custom. Two of the knobs are missing their set screws. I'm wondering if anyone knows the size of those set screws or a suitable replacement? Or a source for originals? These are the black witch hat knobs.

I bought a set of the RI knobs - I can use those fine. But the original knobs look better and fit the aging of the guitar. I thought about just swapping the set screw over to the old knobs, but the screws on the knew knobs are narrower than the vintage one.

Any help is appreciated.

2. choosebronze

Ah nevermind I guess. I found my digital calipers. The old and new screws are the same size - 5/32". It's just that the holes on the old knobs are torn out so the new screws are too small to hold them. Might just have to go with the new knobs.

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tap threads into the old knobs and install set screws that match the new thread size.

preactor likes this.
  4. choosebronze

Hey that's a darn good idea. Thank you. Never done that before, will going to #10 be big enough to cut new threads you think? Maybe my calipers aren't great, it looks like Fender says the old ones are #8-32.

5. Frodebro

I would think that #10 would probably be just about perfect to cut new threads into a stripped out #8.

howardlo likes this.
  6. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

There are thread saver inserts - shaped like a spring - that may save the day. Hardware store for both the thread savers and the set screws. Then you can leave it in "original but stripped" condition fwiw.

7. Frodebro

They do make them in that size, but the tool to install them is pretty expensive. As in upward of $70, if I recall correctly.

tubegeek likes this.
  8. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I had no idea! Uh oh.

9. choosebronze

Awesome, thanks so much guys.

10. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Sorry, did not read all posts

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  11. choosebronze

Well in case this happens to anybody else... $5 for a #10-24 tap, $1for new set screws, and about 30 seconds of labor. Vintage knobs again! Thanks you Frodebro.

12. Frodebro

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I think the original screw size is 8-32. If this were my problem to solve, I'd do this:

Take the knob to a hardware store to test fit the screw size; if they don't have the right size grub screw/set screw, buy a single 1" long screw of the proper diameter and thread pitch.

Back home in the shop, use a small diamond wheel in a Dremel to cut off the screw head, and then cut the 1" threaded portion in half. Place each half vertically in a vise, and use the diamond wheel to carefully cut a slot into the end of each piece for a small standard screwdriver.

Gently round over the business end of each new set screw and you're ready to install 'em into the knobs.

tubegeek likes this.
  14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Agreed...a local Mom'n'Pop hardware store should have the correct set screws in stock...just take the knobs in the store and a clerk should be able to help you...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.