Set neck Teles from GFS

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JC_M, Aug 8, 2020.

1. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

I've had pretty good luck buying from GuitarFetish for projects and builds (including the one in my profile pic). Lately I've been staring at the set neck Tele and Strat neck-and-body combos sold on their "Discounted Clearance Guitars" page. Set neck Teles for $89, with binding for $99. They're factory buyouts, and they all have some blemishes, but I'm intrigued. Anyone have any eperience with these?

Thanks in advance!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Just...don't! Thinking about the "clearance" Les Paul semi I bought from them still makes me too angry to write anymore and it's been 4-5 years. It wasn't a "blem", wasn't a "factory second", it was something out of the garbage can, probably a six-year-old assembly worker's first attempt.

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I almost bought one, but my tech refused to work on it.

wabashslim likes this.
  4. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

Wow. That's pretty strong advice. At $99 for a finished body and neck, seems like it's worth a chance, even if it has a few blemishes. I've bought factory buyout necks from GFS and had pretty good luck. And I've spent that much on more than a few Squiers for projects and used no more than the body and neck. I was hoping someone might have picked up one of the sets in this lot, but maybe not. Hmmm...will keep thinking it over.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Stop thinking. Don't do it.

If it's from GFS, and it's made from wood, you're just gambling with your money. It's not worth the hassle of trying to make it right enough to be playable. If it's wood and it's a buyout, closeout, blemish, etc., it's already known to be bad.

6. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

If you can...wait until the Bullets go on sale again.

TG and Gardo like this.
  7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted

This
    Plus the Bullet is a finished, playable guitar not just a body and neck with problems

preactor likes this.
  8. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

So, in other words, my answer is "no...no one has any experience with these." Thanks.

Sure, people have been burned by GFS. I haven't...yet.

And, yes, a Bullet is a finished, "playable" guitar, but for my projects and builds, the only part of a recently issued Bullet that interests me is the neck.

61fury likes this.
  9. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

10. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Holic

I’m just the opposite. I thought the Bullet necks were awful, but the bodies pretty nice.

I put a nice partscaster together for my fiancée with a Bullet body and Classic Vibe neck. I had a Twang King neck, Duncan Broadcaster, and ectronics lying around, and that was a perfect project for it. It sounds great and would something I’d use as a backup. Plus, she appreciates the thinner body.

JC_M likes this.
  11. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

Sounds like a cool project. I prefer the full thickness bodies, and most Bullets (especially some of hte older ones) have a nice, chunky feel to the neck. Considering the prices these days on Fender-style necks ($$$) sometime buying a Bullet just to use the neck is a pretty smart play. And I can usually find something to do with the leftovers...

EspyHop likes this.
  12. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted

My avatar is a GFS clearance body . It had some problems but I made a fun and playable guitar .However a close inspection will show some flaws

JC_M and Rev Rhythm like this.
  13. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Meister

is there some other place to get a set neck tele that is decent quality?

JC_M likes this.
  14. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

The big problem I see is that it doesn’t really appear to be a set neck but rather a bolt on neck that’s glued in. That is, there isn’t a real tenon or mortise.

nojazzhere, JC_M and EspyHop like this.
  15. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

I took a chance on one of the clearance Les Paul semi hollows a few years back for super cheap...guess I got lucky because it's a pretty awesome little guitar that I've been able to mod. No defects, plays really well, etc. Think it's just the luck of the draw.

JC_M likes this.
  16. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

How can you tell? 100 percent of my builds and personally owned guitars are bolt-on (I'm a Fender-style guy) so I don't really know what the tell-tale would be.

I've used GFS bodies in four builds (including my two main stage guitars, one of them in my avatar) and necks in three. They were fine, great for the price. But these set neck Teles and Strats aren't even really GFS -- they're buyouts from some other company. So I'm not really sure what to make of them without tracking down someone who actualy tried one.

17. ritten70

ritten70 TDPRI Member

The ones I saw on there website at least didn’t appear to have any type of extended tenon that would often be visible at least in front pickup route and the heel joint looked to be about 5/8” deep or pretty much a standard Bolton neck depth. Nothing wrong with that for a bolt on but in my opinion far too little for a glued in neck joint. I try to get significantly more surface area than that. There is a reason set neck and bolt on neck blanks are bandsawed differently.
    I could be wrong, but that’s what it looked like to me.

18. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

You can fall into a trap with a really cheap neck and body. What ends up racking up all the expense are hardware and electronics cost. If you are going to build your own, do it right. You get what you pay for when it comes to guitars. There are plenty of really cheap guitars out there for a reasonable price. Stick with those if you have to. What happen is you end up with a cheap guitar with expensive upgrades and in the end, it's still a cheap guitar.

19. Danb541

Danb541 Tele-Afflicted

I've watched those for a while myself. I considered it, then decided against it. Reason being, as much as I like set neck guitars, I wont buy one for that reason. A bolt neck guitar can be shimmed if needed. If I was to buy one of those and neck angle was all jacked up, it's basically worthless. I'm not willing to take the risk.

drmordo and JC_M like this.
  20. Quixotic

Quixotic TDPRI Member

If I can share my GFS story as well, I bought a bass kit to try out on a whim because it was pretty cheap, I think only costing me less than $100 for a jazz bass kit with all the hardware included. It was all absolutely a bargain, which is nice. It was packaged well too, but that's the last of the good things. The routing job was a *little* questionable but the neck pocket was atrocious. With the neck fully inserted, you could tilt the neck about 10 degrees either way. It went together fine enough, but the frets were the most egregious mistake of all. If you told me they have a team of primates just hammering in the frets with a ball-peen hammer, I would absolutely believe you. The frets had a very, very rough and unprofessional leveling job, and the fret edges had the bare minimum of end dressing required. There were improperly bent frets that weren't just sprouting, but lifting out off the neck entirely. It wasn't a complete loss, as the fret job was so unsalvagable that I ended up ripping them out and laying purpleheart veneer strips in the slots to make it fretless! It worked out for me in the end because of this, but these guys up here are absolutely correct as I thought this was just my bad. After talking to some friends, everyone who's built with lumber parts from GFS has had issues one way or the other, not just with their "warehouse blowout sales" but with real products they're producing/supplying to order.

JC_M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.