Set Neck and Bolt On Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CFFF, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Why not?

2. Luthi3rz

Luthi3rz Tele-Meister

Could you be a little more specific about which Manufacturer(s) and which guitars?

3. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have only one set neck guitar, a LP Jr. copy, that one guitar makes me more nervous than any of my bolt on Fenders, I'm almost certain that the headstock would break if it fell over and hit it.

On the other hand I can't even think of a way that I could break an inline 6 Fender headstock, my Strat fell 5 feet off a stage and landed on asphalt, small scuff on the clear coat, but basically zero damage... :)

4. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

The strength of the headstock design has nothing to do with whether a guitar has a set neck or a bolt on.

Gibson, Martin, Guild, etc. have always used traditional luthiery techniques which includes a set neck; ever seen a classical stringed instrument with a bolt on? Fender, as the new kid on the block (and other companies since, like Taylor) went to bolt on for ease of manufacture and replacement.

I have plenty of both. Once I'm playing them I can't tell the difference. I am a little more careful with my Gibsons but that's because of the angle and thinness of the neck to headstock connection. I haven't broken one yet in may years of playing though.

Ricky D. likes this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Bolt on: clamp body and neck in the assembly fixture. Mount the drill jig. Drill four holes. Remove drill jig. Position the neck plate and run in four screws. Done.

Set neck: apply glue to joint surfaces. Insert neck and ensure perfect alignment. Clamp. Remove any glue squeeze out. Wait for glue to cure. Remove clamp. Done.

I think there is more time and a higher level of workmanship in the glue joint, therefore somewhat higher cost.

But I think you misunderstand how pricing decisions are made. They charge what they charge because enough people will pay it. Simple as that.

CFFF likes this.
  6. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

There was a time when I thought any guitar with a bolt-on neck wasn't much more than a toy.

I've grown up a lot since then.

Luthi3rz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.