Set Neck and Bolt On Guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by CFFF, Sep 11, 2019.

1. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

It seems to be the case that manufacturers like to ask much more money for set neck models. The glue cost more money then four screws and a steel plate?

2. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Typically a set net requires more work than a bolt on neck, especially since we are in the age of CNC machines.

You would be amazed at how many neck blanks you can machine on a CNC table at one time. The same with bodies to a lesser degree. But when you are looking at a neck through you waste a lot of space on the CNC bed.

Also many of the set necks need some transitions made from the body to the neck, which can be done on some CNC machines but in many cases they have to be hand finished.

I have played both set neck and bolt on necks and I will say that I used to think on basses the set necks were better. But I have a P Bass that has a bolt on neck that sustains forever which is what I always thought was a neck through characteristic. It may help that it has a baseball sized neck but it sustains really well.

3. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I suppose you could look at it that way.

All I know is, the bolt on neck is much user friendly in so much as user repairable. I probably wouldn't attempt a set neck repair. That alludes to my ability, yours might be different.

rz350, radiocaster and nojazzhere like this.
  4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've gotten to love bolt-on necks, but I have to admit, I prefer the feel to upper fret access on a set neck guitar.

5. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

The neck/body transition on a glued in neck needs a lot more work.

RoyBGood likes this.
  6. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

I think your premise is wrong. You pay the same amount of money for a player series Fender as a Epiphone Les Paul. You can get an SG for less than a Fender pro series as well.

stxrus and LowCaster like this.
  7. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

Pretty sure that one of the reasons Leo Fender advanced the bolt-on neck design was the ease of mass-production; i.e., lower costs.

8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

^ I heard it was because he liked Frankenstein films.

Rev Rhythm likes this.
  9. CFFF

CFFF Tele-Holic

Thank you everyone.

I understand of course that it is possible to buy set neck guitars that are less money then bolt ons but can we remove the comparison with USA and Mexican or Asian made guitars?

If they were made in the same factory using CNC would would you be happy to be asked to pay a large premium for a set neck guitar version of the same model that uses a bolt on?

10. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I agree with you. I recently saw a Gibson factory tour and was thinking about how quick and easy was the process of gluing the set neck.

11. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Meister

A set neck requires more time and a marginally higher degree of skill to build. That's what you pay extra for. The difference in cost of materials is negligible.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  12. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

To build, yes, to CNC and glue probably not so much.

13. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The price difference is all in the marketing induced perception.

Fender started using bolt on necks because the Gibson headstocks broke so easily and frets wore out easily that a Fender player could easily swap a replacement neck on themselves and go back to playing while the Gibson player had to drop his guitar off at the guitar tech, who had a backlog of other jobs and cost a lot of cash a working player maybe didn't have.

When set neck guitars are generally priced at $4,000 and bolt on necks are priced at $3,000 then buyers make the assumption that the bolts must be cheaper to build. The same machining skill needs to happen to both versions or things don't fit or buyers complain of 'why is there so much gap?'... glue is less expensive than bolts and a plate.

The Angle likes this.
  14. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I have both like most everybody here, it only makes a difference when your looking at it, once your start playing it, you forget all about it. One plays as well as the other.

Ricky D. and KevinB like this.
  15. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

A properly fit set neck takes time and skill, much more than fitting a bolt neck.

The price difference in set necks might have something to do with USA labor costs vs third world labor costs. ;)

16. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

It's funny, I wouldn't buy a neck through Strat, but I also wouldn't buy a bolt on SG.

ScribbleSomething and RoyBGood like this.
  17. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

You can go to guitar fetish and directly compare Asian to Asian if you want.

Can you point to an example of this? You're making an example up out of thin air to defend your false premise.

18. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Seeing neck-thru getting tossed about in this thread. I thought the question was about a set neck vs bolt on,,,which to me means a glued on neck vs bolt on.

Neck thru is not a set neck in my world.

19. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Correct.

“Set neck” and “neck through” are two completely different construction techniques. The terms are not interchangeable.

joe_cpwe and 6stringcowboy like this.
  20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I guess what I'm wondering is - what difference does it make? Suppose someone supplies an answer to your inquiry that you find satisfactory - what do you suppose that will change, if anything? Will you then become an apostle for the version of neck construction you prefer?

There's so many other factors to consider - and for the most part, during playing any guitar, I can't say I have ever thought: hey, "set neck" or gee, i wish this was a bolt-on instead.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.