Set List Construction/Management

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Nov 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

Wives/girlfriends/whatever play a significant role in the decline of a bands politics. The drummers's wife will always think he should have a voice, apart from thinking he is the cutest and most intelligent one.

2. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Great advice.

3. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I spend a good amount of time on our set lists. Start with the set openers and closers. I think about the transitions. How one song leads into the next. The pace of the set. Build up, let the audience rest for a couple songs, then build up again. Cluster songs into blocks of similar style. At certain venues (restaurants) we keep the first set on the quiet side. Save the hardest rocking ones for the end of the night. Split up the vocals (if you have multiple singers). All things to keep in mind when crafting a list.

joe_cpwe and slauson slim like this.
  4. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I use excel for set lists also. It's very useful. I like the color coding for lead singer; I use initials because for one band that I lead, the bass player is color blind...

All good fun!

schmee likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Pineears and GuitarKid like this.
  6. GuitarKid

GuitarKid Tele-Holic

You know why the drummer's wife thinks he's intelligent? Because he can count to 4 and occasionally to 3.

7. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

To change the tune, the bar manager is a family member of friends and band member where I went for Thanksgiving dinner. I initiated her hearing the set list songs. It was pleasant, but not something I’d make normal.

8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Here is where aging comes in handy! ( also playing with a lot of musician friends for years)
    No more dang songlists! It's all between the ears now, lots of songs inside.I just call them out, or start on guitar.
    I just like to see what the audience is responding to, not be rigid.

But we still may do the " OK, here are the first 3 songs...." ( for a set) just to get going, be on the same page, then wing it!

9. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

My band is just me and a drummer, that I have playin bass guitar.

10. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

she should just create a playlist. As a patron I would be happier.

11. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

I know you are visualizing a drummer playing bass guitar. He does break a few drum sticks when they hit the metal bridge on the bass guitar. He pretty much “sticks” to E A D G.

12. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

I don't know how long you've been here but this site is fulled mostly with working pros. Many of whom have even gigged the GC Platinum Room.

Flat6Driver likes this.
  13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

don't play more than a half hour and bore people.

14. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Depends on the band and gig. But in general I try to do songs in blocks of three or four so we can smoothly go from one to the next. You can also shuffle those blocks around during a gig to better fit the feel of the audience without losing good transitions. Things I consider in addition to the songs themselves are: who's got the lead vocals, are capo or open tunings needed, os anyone switching instruments (Les Paul to Tele or guitar to mandolin).

I remember making a set in one band that the drummer had us change because there were three songs in a row that tired him out. One or two were no problem but this particular 3 song stretch would have killed him. The rest of us with stringed instruments had no idea because he never had reason to say anything before that. Also had a singer who could do a great Janis Joplin but would need a two song break after Bobby McGee.

I can see a bar/club requesting a song or two in advance but have never heard of any hands-on with the full list.

15. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Really?

16. cyclopean

yeah. it's a rare band that i want to hear that much of. don't overstay your welcome.

if i got to see bolt thrower again, or the cure, i'd want more than a half hour, sure. but they're not most bands.

17. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Hmmm. To each their own. I've both played and danced to 60-75 minute sets. Thirty minutes is barely getting warmed up for the band or the crowd. Unless I'm an opener or part of a multi-band thing I can't imagine doing less than 45 minutes and usually shoot for 50-60 before taking a break. And that's what I find is the norm in my area. I figure I'm being paid to play live music, not run Spotify through the PA speakers. (understanding that some gigs may be different).

richiek65 likes this.
  18. cyclopean

i pretty much only see bands play with other bands. in fact i don't recall the last time i saw a show without an opening act or two.

19. simond

simond Tele-Meister

You all saying I shouldn't work my way down my list alphabetically?

20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Delete

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.