Set List Construction/Management

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Pineears, Nov 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Must have spent 3 hrs this week working on the set list for Saturday. The gig got cut from 3 hrs to 2 hrs. I finally got it down to 52 songs in an order I liked. Printed it, drew a line under 32 songs, then discussed it with band members and band wives, and the venues sports bar manager. They picked 12 songs below the cut off line that have to be in there, but only picked one of the 32 to throw out.

String Tree likes this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pick a good opener and a closer ... Then wing the rest ... Three hours of time saved...

Chiogtr4x, uriah1, ElJay370 and 5 others like this.
  3. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Use to play with a drummer that went on and on about the importance of the “penultimate” song, followed by the inevitable dissertation on the word penultimate. I think he just wanted everybody to see he knew the word penultimate. But I digress....

4. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Drummers need to back off. They should be happy they're invited to play with musicians.

hee hee

5. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

1- mustang sally
    2- blooze jam in e
    3- politician

done

GuitarKid likes this.
  6. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

1st time I ever went over the set list with the bar manager. She played each song on Spotify as we went through.

7. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I'm nobody from nowhere but I'll be dammed if I'm going to review my setlist with the bar manager. I don't tell them how to serve beer. That said getting the right band for the room is key. My band won't work for a dance club.

I would also not spend 3 hours on a setlist. Though, my current issue is we don't gig enough for all the songs we've got. Some make it into every gig some get cut. Lately we've been playing too many per set. Next gig will be 10 per set with actual breaks. We'll see how this goes.

schmee likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I spend too much time on setlists. I do them in Excel though and reuse much of them. The tunes vary depending on the venue. Some venues are heavy into dance. Others are more listening venues.
    Bottom line is "it's just a plan". Often it evolves into picking a song before the next song. I search the list for what fits while we are playing a song.
    But at least we're not having a democratic band meeting on stage between songs!
    If band members are f-ing around... I just start a song to keep things going. "keep up or get out!" (get off my lawn!)
    (Color indicates singer)
    [​IMG]

9. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

In my case I have to stick to the plan. I guess I'm the leader so I know the strengths of the guys I've got. One doesn't know the songs and while good at faking it, if I called a song ++that we do+++ out of order, he'd go into a panic looking in his book for the chart. It's slow blues in G, come on man.

Despite playing these songs for a while, people can't seem to remember: keys, (or what key to cross harp into), whether it has the stops or doesn't, whether it has a quick IV or has 8 measures on the I. It's just a hobby and I like the guys but I'll pick different guys next time I build a band.

slauson slim and ravindave_3600 like this.
  10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If you are playing with professionals, it's a different deal ... In your case, best of luck ... Play the hand you've been dealt, as best you can ... It's your band and reputation ...

Flat6Driver likes this.
  11. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

That is a situation I've never encountered before. Has she honestly got nothing better to do than micro-manage your performance? Whether she personally likes a song is a massive irrelevance to how it will go down with the audience. If it's well-known enough to be on Spotify, that means enough people liked it enough to actually buy it. If you're professional enough to play more than 50 songs in a night, you're probably a better arbitrator of the audience's musical tastes than she'll ever be.

I can't imagine that whoever employed her wanted her to spend any time doing your job. I'm assuming you don't have time to: make sure the venue is clean; that the bar is adequately stocked; organise the staff roster so that there are enough people at all times; liaise with suppliers; organise promotions, including social media listings of future events...

Oh no, that's right. You've already got a job to do.

You're obviously a more patient and tolerant person that me, and I'm normally pretty easy going until I meet a silly little control freak! :D

GuitarKid and rangercaster like this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I share your pain man. My bassist exactly. Ugh. He and I did a slow blues song for years (not a 1-4-5, but fairly simple though) No book, no paper. Then after not doing it a couple years I got our female vocalist to sing it. Now he seems to need the paper searching through his book. I finally told him last time "we did it for years, there's just that third line in each verse where it goes to F instead of Dm!" UGH

Flat6Driver likes this.
  13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I used to love the set list thing. Now it's just alternate between fast and slow songs, and don't do two slow songs in a row. Audience has a short memory.

14. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Not sure what's worse, involving the bar owner or the band mates wives. Ugh, no thanks.

Si G X, Durtdog, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  15. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

The wives.

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

that's way too long. don't bore people, leave them wanting more. unless you're the ramones or something a half hour is long enough.

Si G X likes this.
  17. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

I think you're right. Unless involving bar owners in every gig is a pattern...I'd assume involving the wives would probably happen regularly. Without a doubt involving wives in band decision making would create a major problem for me and if it continued it would drive me out of a band. Nothing against spouses, but the band is the band.

Macrogats likes this.
  18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

My two cents:
    Shorter gig so, keep the energy UP and the number of slow songs Down.
    Start with and end with your Best Vocal harmonies.
    Make sure no song goes over four minutes.
    Avoid Jamming.
    Go from one song to the next with as little talking as possible.

And for crying out loud, NO:
    Tuning at Full Voulme
    Trying to grab attention from whoever is trying to talk to the audience
    Adjusting your gear once you have started. Get serious about the sound check

If you guys have a song ready to go but, some drunk comes up and tries to talk to the singer or, anybody else, start the song. The only reason they are up there is because you are taking too long between songs.

Best of luck.
    Hope it goes GREAT!

19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I never even bother with a set list for bar gigs. Well...if I have a substitute player then I'll them a notional list of songs. We're just playing cover songs anyway.

20. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

play fast songs.
    limit talking, kick the next song.
    Every 4th song, praise the waitresses and bartenders, push the special.
    make sure to switch keys... don't play more than 2 in the same key in a row.... ear fatigue is real.

if you play originals... nevermind.

dougstrum and GuitarKid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.