Sessum pedalboards-anyone remember?

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Another query caused me to remember my old pedalboard, back in the 80s there was a company named Sessum? Possibly a play on the word session as most of the session players of the time, at least in the California area had them.

They were self enclosed in a handmade wooden cabinet with a removable lid. There were Mono and stereo models-pretty much made to order I think, from a general starting point of a design, with dual plains -angled and horizontal.

With your favorite volume pedal usually on the horizontal along with some pedals, and the rest of your boxes on the angled plane, which also housed their in-house switching system, if memory serves mine had stereo ins and outs, with heavy duty 3PDT and 4PDT that never gave me any trouble in many many years of service.

That 4PDT switch was a big thing back then at least in The world of pedals, and it had a master bypass and switchable stereo loop, both lighted, connecting both planes together.

For maybe six years straight I only had Mondays And every other Wednesday off with doubles on Saturday and Sunday, at least through the summer months, so about eight gigs a week dropping down to about six or five in the winter.

The entire inside was shielded-I think it was metallized tape, but I think it was not of the 2 inch variety? I seem to remember the large inside space not having many seams?

All of the spaces for the pedals were covered in Velcro. There was a home maid circuit board with the switching and Switchcraft brand jacks, On the ins and outs, all hand wired and soldered.

I posted a query here about a switching transformer, and that caused me to remember that there was a populated space on my circuit board that had a bridge rectifier and smoothing caps for the AC (IEC? Plug and receptacle) to DC 9 & 18V outs.

Mine had a wart that was bypassing the internal supply. I don’t remember if it was a revision, possibly the Iron core Wall wart was quieter than internal Power supply with 78 style voltage regulators, bridge rectifier and smoothing caps?

I think they may have came from a custom order from Valley Arts? That was a great music store back then!

I remember you could get custom Fuzz boxes, dual 9 & ? Power supplies all handmade… come to think of it I even had a board made by them in an enclosed Anvil case, with boxes mounted on birch plywood blocks, all in a powder blue, The fuzz box the power supply and the Anvil, all blue.

The height of fashion for a schmuck who is still wearing the same jeans and lumberjack shirts.

Well not the same ones, I don’t know if Carhartt was around or I just wasn’t hip to them. Levi’s for sure and I’m pretty sure Dickies also.

Plus I’ve never been one to pass up a good shirt buy at the Salvation, And never will unless they start price matching (up) with Goodwill. But I digress-0r didress? …LT

PS-this is the only picture I could come up with quick, in the spirit of if there’s no picture it didn’t happen… these switches used to cost about 25 bucks Back then.

Would love to see any pictures if anyone still has an old Sessum board, and if you asked nicely or even rudely (or even read all the way down to here-I think I’ve got about five or 10) I could probably scare you up an original old MXR quack box board, an unpopulated envelope filter circuit board I think they call it, as a prize, as long as it’s yours and not a Google image search. Come to think of it what do I care if it’s yours or not! Best wishes LT!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

gitlvr

Friend of Leo's
Don't need the "prize", but here's a Reverb listing for one.
Pretty cool, and I had no clue anything like that was even available back in the day, at least to the average player like me. I just shoved everything in a bag along with wall warts and power strips. I would have been in heaven with one of those!

trandy9850

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Last edited:

Joefish

Tele-Afflicted
^ ^ ^

... to the OP, sorry about the thread interruption

I was feeling pretty disrespectful that I didn't know more about Mr. May (... although years ago, I was looking through a Guitar Player ... and there was Mr. May with my board), so at lunch I checked out his discography and he was active until last year.

So, I got that board in 1985 (... after, I assume Andy hooked him up with a Bradshaw) ... and was stunned to learn that ... when we hear Marty McFly playing Johnny B. Goode, we are hearing Mr. May.

We now joing our regularly scheduled program already in progress.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
^ ^ ^

... to the OP, sorry about the thread interruption

I was feeling pretty disrespectful that I didn't know more about Mr. May (... although years ago, I was looking through a Guitar Player ... and there was Mr. May with my board), so at lunch I checked out his discography and he was active until last year.

So, I got that board in 1985 (... after, I assume Andy hooked him up with a Bradshaw) ... and was stunned to learn that ... when we hear Marty McFly playing Johnny B. Goode, we are hearing Mr. May.

We now joing our regularly scheduled program already in progress.
No apologies necessary, sometimes I feel my whole life has been an improvisation… A great big series of left turns!

My uncle was part of that Los Angeles Clique back then and countless recordings and more.

I just ran across old email correspondence-when I had to load Messenger, which I didn’t want but I had to to correspond with someone, an old Hotmail with my Uncle came up.

It’s been a couple years and we lost track. I’m hoping to hear from him soon, if so there may be some great stuff to share as I’m pretty sure he’s writing a book, possibly his second, about the music biz.

I guess I’m going sideways too again.
Thanks for these replies and that’s really interesting to see one up for sale.
I don’t think they were ever mass-produced. I think they were pretty much built around a basic model starting point, Hand built to request, it’s great to see that at least some of them are still around.

johnb

Tele-Meister
Don't need the "prize", but here's a Reverb listing for one.
Pretty cool, and I had no clue anything like that was even available back in the day, at least to the average player like me. I just shoved everything in a bag along with wall warts and power strips. I would have been in heaven with one of those!

Somebody needs to mow that turf!