Seriously? THREE GRAND?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Silverface, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The price is common for Suhr offerrings....why I have no idea, but that name plate adds a lot to the price tag.

brogh likes this.
  2. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

on the one hand, I hear ya... on the other - suhr is not on their own on this one - it's all the rage right now. I have seen some pieces of it that are harder than typical... and it'd be a fine wood for a lp in my o... with a solid maple cap. it'd almost have to be a nat finish tho... as even the harder pal is soft as heck. then again... my jem 77fp is basswood - not much better really.

3. Ray G

Ray G Tele-Holic

Guitars and everything having to do with them (materials, hardware, Pickups, set up preferences) are all subjective. Some will be happy to own a Paulwonia Suhr no doubt and others will not go near it... I’ve actually played more than a few Suhr and Pensa guitars and they are certainly nice instruments. Once you get to a certain quality level it’s all about what you prefer and not what is deemed better by others so I’ll keep my Paulwonia parts Tele ($65 pre finished body) and save a ton of money but keep on practicing because in end if you have your stuff together and play well you’ll sound good on just about any well made instrument regardless of the price tag.

4. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Pine has become a popular body wood. Not really sure why, but I have a couple and no complaints.
    The Emerald Ash Borer has decimated our ash trees here in the South. I have stayed away from Paulownia because it is soft. I probably would not have chosen pine, although the knotty ones look cool.

5. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My paulownia 12-string tele type has been rock solid for a few years now, no adjustments, stays in tune, great sustain, etc. It has on oil finish so it does ding easily, but I like the 'mottled' patina it's getting over time. When I put it together I used glue in the screw holes, been holding together great.

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

It's 200 more than their swamp ash Classic T, so it must be about the weight saving. Maybe they reinforced the hardware contact points and the higher cost reflects that.

I eagerly await the candlenutwood edition.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

One look at the headstock is enough for me to write that brand off forever. I don't even need to worry about any other detail. There are enough great Fender ripoff guitars out there with semi-decent headstocks that one shouldn't have to settle for ugliness in any way.

Nick Fanis, fofomomo, Erebia and 4 others like this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Old farts with bad backs and good credit!

Veitchy, P Thought, lasikukko and 7 others like this.
  9. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

That is one ugly cheap looking headstock for sure. I wonder if they couldn't offer custom headstocks .

10. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

I prefer "Suhr have more money than brains" myself...

Fiesta Red likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

I don’t really get choosing a super soft wood for a top dollar guitar when for the money it’s so simple to chamber an alder body to the chosen weight, without getting the soft edges and neck plate cutting into the back etc.

For cheap light DIY projects it makes a lot of sense though since it seems to be growing native to cheap labor manufacturing and export centers.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    Silverface likes this.
  12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I built a Tele partscaster last year with an unfinished Paulownia body from GFS. It was used primarily for weight reduction, and it worked. (too well) Total guitar weight is about five pounds, and neck dive is a problem. Since I finished it in natural with Tru Oil, it is a beautiful (IMHO) guitar. The softness of the wood is not a problem for me. It does dent easily, but I haven't had any screws strip out. It IS a wonderfully resonant guitar.
    I've never played a Suhr guitar, so I can't speak to how well they play. (or don't) But I simply can't picture myself paying $3000+ for ANY guitar......especially since I can buy a Kirn or Logan for roughly half that. If Suhr can get that for his guitars though, more power to him. That's the way "supply and demand" works, and guitars sure aren't "necessities" that we can't live without. ;)

13. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

The only thing that I remember from economic class besides supply and demand is: a product is only worth what people are willing to pay. No more and no less.
    It does have ss frets.

14. pagedr

pagedr TDPRI Member

Yup, I've played a couple Suhr's and they are very nice guitars, but it's one of the ugliest headstocks out there. Could never bring myself to own one based solely on that.

Erebia likes this.
  15. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Not to tinkle on anybody’s favorite instrument, but...

I have played a half-dozen Suhr guitars. Higher-grade instrument than the average American Fender...but not by much.

They’re nice...but not THAT nice...I think there’s a touch of label/status symbol about them

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Tele-Afflicted

When I was growing up, my grandfather always kept a large supply of pine in his shed. We used it every day... for firewood.

I'm sure there are some nice guitars made from pine, but it is a softwood, and I can't get past the fact that it is plentiful and cheap firewood.

baiff and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

What do you think the difference in materials cost is for a blank of Paulownia vs Alder?

In the quantities they buy, maybe $5-30?

Suhr seems to think Basswood is an awesome tonewood. Fender purists not so much, but the Suhr guitars sound good.

Like most woods, there are different grades, but I'm sure it's a good sounding guitar.

18. telemnemonics

Suhr says not just SS frets but HEAVY SS frets.

Suhr says paulownia sounds like swamp ash only warmer, and with more body.
    So, not like swamp ash.

But in fairness to the brand band their ad execs, the internet has replaced science based honest info with hype and mythology.

OK OK we always had mythology but gear myth has gotten so big it seems gear can’t besold without some lie or another attached to it.

I agree that body wood influences the amplified sound and response but IME claiming a soft light resonant wood sounds like a hard heavier wood “except warmer” is just plain bull since warmer is a major change if the piece of wood the body was made from caused the warmer guitar tone.

I mean a telecaster sounds like a telecaster, and if one sounds warmer than another we have different telecaster sounds, not the same telecaster sound.
    Within the range of tonewood, which is already shaky.
    They could easily have gone with “sounds like alder” and not been as myth and hype based in that claim.

Peltogyne likes this.
  19. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

LOL! I love the headstock.

Often times people will look at one of my Suhrs and comment on the pointy peghead. Then I plug it in and play and all doubts are erased.

This sound clip was done on a cellphone at an open mic I was hosting and my Basswood/Maple Pro Series 3 Suhr with Soloist body has more Strat mojo on the middle pickup than most Fenders I've ever played. You can hear it even on a cheap cellphone recording. https://youtu.be/fb-JPQla-zc

20. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

The first Esquires were pine, were they not? I know Bill Kirchen’s tele is made out of pine even the neck and no truss rod. He still playing it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.