seriously thinking of leaving my MIM Standard bone stock

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 66Satellite, Aug 28, 2014.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

mine is a 2014 and I'm actually having very slight tuning issues. I always stretch my strings out after I put new ones on, but it seems despite doing that, most of the strings will go slightly flat after a little bit of playing. Just restrung it a few days ago and stretched them out again tonight which seems to have made it better. Maybe they just need to settle in?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had a stock, black 2003 MIM Tele that sounded great, and played beautifully.
    Rocket Scientist here horse traded it away.
    I recorded a bunch of tracks with it.
    Every time I hear those tracks, I wonder why I got rid of it.
    Doh!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  3. SynMike

SynMike Tele-Meister

My FSR Black Paisley is a MIM standard (other than the paisley). I love it just the way it is. I don't want to mess with it at all. I have several other Teles but this one is my favorite for sound and feel.

4. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

the one i got is a 2012 model, and i noticed the same thing. it took a good day of some solid playing for the strings to not slack anymore. and i know how to properly string/stretch-in new strings. now it's fine.

the b string will still slip a little, if i do a lot of bends. but i figure that's just part of the deal. i could get better tuners (the ratio is pretty tight on these, too), but i'm not particularly concerned about them at this point.

like i said, i'm more concerned with getting some good non-ceramic pickups in it, first. :)

5. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Tele-Meister

My 99 MIM standard Tele is almost identical to yours and I had the same thinking as you. I wasn't all that keen on the look of the bridge but it works awesomely.

I ended up converting mine to an esquire with a vintage style bridge in the end as I had some threaded steel saddles sitting doing nothing so it only cost me a vintage bridge plate and single ply scratchplate.

Although yours lookks like its in much better condition than mine!

Attached Files:

6. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Earlier this year I bought a MIM Standard from Ebay. 1999 model all standard apart from a Quarter Pounder pup at the bridge and the plan was to use it to do some mods. When I got it home I gave it a good clean up, set the action and changed the strings. I was surprised how good it sounded and how well it played so it has remained totally unchanged.
    But I haven't changed either of my MIM Cabronitas either.

7. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

This started life identical to OP's. The ceramic mini HB has not been a success. Currently thinking about a replacement.

tele_sm.jpg

8. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I intended on keeping mine stock...but first it was the neck pickup, then the bridge pickup, then a 3-saddle bridge. I'm going to stop there though...:D

9. Old Bill

Old Bill Tele-Holic

IMHO....The only thing that lets this one down is the crap saddles. Put 3x2 brass and you're away!

10. 66Satellite

66Satellite Tele-Holic

LOL :D

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

My '04 MIM was stock for a few years, and then I started hanging around here.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    The guitar sounded fine, but I am happy with my changes: '62 AVRI bridge and pickup, mint green pickguard, disconnected the neck pickup though I left it in the slot and put in a cocked-wah esquire wiring harness and input jack, extra knurly dome knobs. Dressed the frets and nut myself. But then I see a sparkle/glitter tele ala Buck Owens/Don Rich, or a White on White /maple like the OP's, or a Fiesta Red, or a ...

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

That can also be nut/nut slot issues.

13. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

great to know! Also yeah I have small problems with the B or E slipping. Seems to be getting better though.

That's the first thing I looked at because I had a rather negative experience with a strat in the past Almost entirely having to do with the nut, but the one on this tele seems to have been cut right and there are no little slots where it could catch. I'm also not hearing any pinging or any sort of weird noise like that. I put graphite in the nut slots and saddles and that seems to work wonderfully.

14. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

"seriously thinking of leaving my MIM Standard bone stock"

How long have you been thinking about that? Could it be that you are too much surfing moders forums?

15. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic

I've not changed my MIM Standard, but I did change the bridge on my Cabronita.

16. Derix

Derix TDPRI Member

I was recently considering changing my Tele pup for Humbucker, but my MIM sounds great as it is and I decided to put a humbucker into a squier instead its a better choice in my opinion.

It probably could sound better if i had a more refined ear but it sounds beautiful to me.

17. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I left mine alone. Why mess with t, when I was already happy.

18. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

man I love that color w/maple fretboard. I'm kind of on the hunt for one just like it.

19. SiyarK

SiyarK Tele-Meister

I have a 2004 MIM standard stratocaster that I also left bone stock. Great just the way it is :)

20. Monotremata

Monotremata Tele-Afflicted

If it does what you need it to then leave it!! Like Ive said in threads around here plenty, when I bought my Classic 60s last year, I was already shopping for 'hotter' pickups for it before I even heard the thing (Im a metal/punk/noise/doom guy come on now).. Aside from changing the saddles to brass, its STILL stock, and guess what, does everything I ask for and then some! At this point, I cant even imagine changing anything on it, I want it to sound like this til the day we both die and get buried together!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.