1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seriously, how many frets do you use?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by matrix, Oct 30, 2020.

Seriously, how many Frets do you use? (normally) Up to....

1. 3 Frets and a Capo...they call me the cowboy

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. 5...There is no money above the 5th fret

9 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. 12 ... after that it is all just repetition

28 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. 15 ... ain't no space for my fingers after that

73 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. 18...its getting tight up here...

105 vote(s)
    30.3%
  6. 22. That is what a Tele has, that is what I will use

103 vote(s)
    29.7%
  7. 24...My dentist went broke and sold me his guitar

27 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

Are you counting it as using a fret when you don’t use half of it? Show me that fret ware under the low E string above the 17th.

matrix likes this.
  2. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Funny.

matrix likes this.
  3. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon TDPRI Member

I mostly only play up to the 15th fret some times up higher. what I have been doing lately is use a octave pedal to avoid having to go up into the cramped frets.

matrix likes this.
  4. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Simple! If you’re right handed, place your right forearm on the upper horn (of your Telecaster) and push down. Push up on the neck with your left palm. I use that technique all the time. Danny Gatton was the master at that. Don’t try that with an SG, at least not MY SG!!! Also, it works better with thinner necks; my Richie Kotzen doesn’t cooperate well with that technique.

And you thought bending the neck wasn’t actually a thing, didn’t you?

matrix likes this.
  5. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

I said 22 because most of my guitars have 22; my Teles, however, do not.
    I find a lot of use for #20: high C octave, minor third in A, even bends to D, in the key of G for instance.
    For the most part, I seldom, if ever, play the low E & A strings above the 15th, at least not with my left hand, for various reasons.
    I do, however, have a 24 fret SG that's set up for slide and can be found, on occasion, playing up where the 29th fret would be.

blasphemoustrat and matrix like this.
  6. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm no shredder but I did find the very last note on a 22 fret guitar the other day.

blasphemoustrat and matrix like this.
  7. Lance Morgan

Lance Morgan TDPRI Member

I’ll go to 20 on about a third of the songs I play, when I’m feeling energized. Bend a step from the 21st or 22nd rarely, just because I can.

8. tfillingi

tfillingi TDPRI Member

And chime harmonics for some higher notes.

9. rphunt2002

rphunt2002 Tele-Holic

Well, first, that whole area is not covered by frets.
    It's fun to play the area beyond the frets using a slide, or just a sort of pizzicato thing with the fingers.

Second, sticking with the frets:
    I've previously owned 24 fret guitars, and have written parts for them that go to fret 24, but for my current 22 fret electric guitar I play the 24th fret notes by pressing the string onto the neck pickup.
    I do most of my exercises up to fret 17 at least. King Crimson's Fracture goes up to fret 21. The solo to Stairway to Heaven goes to fret 20.
    In general I cover the whole fretboard.

Oh yeah, the first track on this video is my use of a 24 fret Hohner Steinberger clone. The chords go up to 17, and the solo goes up to 24:

Here's the score of the solos if interested:
    https://regguitar50.tumblr.com/post...he-guitar-solos-tothis-time-of-year-a-track-i

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  10. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

There's no money up there is a terrible excuse for someone who strives to be creative, or are you just a human jukebox? Also, there are other keys besides G, even in country music. You might want to ask someone like Chet about that.
    Finally, right above the middle pickup on a Strat is where you can get a D chord with harmonics on the D, G, and B strings, same as the 7th fret, only an octave higher.

telemnemonics likes this.
  11. Telebra

Telebra Tele-Meister

130177168626216415 (3).jpg
    Uh....Both of them?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    Reivaj, telemnemonics and bromdenlong like this.
  12. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat TDPRI Member

I have hot rails and sometimes have to pretend like those are frets as well....

telemnemonics likes this.
  13. beeflin

beeflin TDPRI Member

All of them, sometimes, but only on the 2 highest strings for the highest notes.

Reivaj likes this.
  14. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Tele-Meister

As my playing has improved, I have started using more of the fretboard. I generally don't go beyond 17 but I'm still expanding my horizons...

15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

Past the 3rd fret it really is all repetition. I like to transfer up the neck though. CAGED system stuff mostly. Of course I actually have used the whole neck, mostly only for soloing I guess.

Those first 3 frets in my opinion are extremely valuable because they can give you ideas, and are easier because of the open notes.

16. olddawg2

olddawg2 TDPRI Member

I prefer the 22 fret Tele neck with the ledge. 21 frets being an odd number brings you up short frequently. I used to use a couple of 24 fret guitars. The advantage other than completing the octave is it locates a lot of your higher register less into the body. I don’t shred as much as I once did so it isn’t as important to me. A lot is style, preference, and technical ability.

Reivaj likes this.
  17. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Seriously, how many Frets do you use? (normally) Up to....

Usually and easily to the 15th, with a barre chord in the 12th. Sometimes to the 17th or 18th box, but then it's becoming difficult : I must be very cautious to avoid dead notes... :oops:

-tbln.

18. julmust

julmust Tele-Meister

I use most of the frets available :)

19. Pineears

Pineears Tele-Afflicted

My B Bender has me up and down the neck a lot more. I usually don’t just sit there and bend one note the whole song. But there are some songs.

matrix likes this.
  20. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg TDPRI Member

I occasionally go beyond my 21 frets. I use a violin technique finger stop on the fingerboard where the 22nd fret would be. I stop the string against the rhythm pickup cover where the 24th fret would be. The imaginary 23rd fret is tricky since it’s between the fingerboard and the pickup cover, and will jump up to E natural when I press too hard. This is not virtuoso playing, this is a rehearsed touch of color at the end of a piece.

It’s really helpful for me to read music at actual pitch on the guitar instead of transposing everything down an octave from treble clef like we usually do. This works out great for anything that doesn’t go above a B natural, and makes me familiar with the upper register. Fiddle tunes sound great up there.

Reivaj and matrix like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.