1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seriously, how many frets do you use?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by matrix, Oct 30, 2020.

Seriously, how many Frets do you use? (normally) Up to....

1. 3 Frets and a Capo...they call me the cowboy

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. 5...There is no money above the 5th fret

9 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. 12 ... after that it is all just repetition

28 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. 15 ... ain't no space for my fingers after that

73 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. 18...its getting tight up here...

105 vote(s)
    30.3%
  6. 22. That is what a Tele has, that is what I will use

103 vote(s)
    29.7%
  7. 24...My dentist went broke and sold me his guitar

27 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Blackshadowrider

Blackshadowrider TDPRI Member

Someone already said it; I will use what is there. When playing a vintage 21 fret neck I miss being able to hit the high D. As I move up the neck, especially past the 15th fret, low note strings drop off and I will focus on the high note strings. I do own one 24 fret PRS guitar that gets occasional use and does great for getting the high E note for certain solos. All said, my main guitar is a Nocaster, vintage fat neck and 21 frets.

matrix and Cyberi4n like this.
  2. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

Don't play too high unless the song calls for it. I am capable of playing way up but you need a guitar that has good access. Only have one guitar that has 24 frets but my big fat fingers have trouble past 21 or 22 on that one. Which is why I prefer 22 fret instruments.

matrix likes this.
  3. Luke V

Luke V TDPRI Member

All of them!

matrix likes this.
  4. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

I just bought a Tele with a 22 fret neck and that little ledge of maple that juts out preventing me from removing the pick guard without loosening the neck bolts has been so infuriating it’s got to me asking the same dang question.

matrix likes this.
  5. pippoman

pippoman Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I play lead in our band, so I actually use 21 or 22 frets. However, when I’m in territory above the 17th or 19th fret, which isn’t often, it’s at the end of a riff on the high E or B string and I bend those notes up. I don’t actually play riffs or runs at that point, but I do use those frets. I had an L4 years ago which only had 20 frets and it was awkward. Loved that guitar, but couldn’t really use it with my current band. 21 frets is my minimum requirement these days, 22 is my preference. I don’t care for 24 fret guitars that much, but they do allow for playing in the upper register without any interference from the neck heel. but even when I’m jamming with my buddy’s Brian Moore, I never actually “play” on those last 2 frets. I tend to get confused on a 24 fret guitar because I’m not used to the positioning.

matrix likes this.
  6. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Potentially, all frets.
    Above the octave, all except the last few frets on the low E, A and D strings.
    But, I will use them to complete a run/passage if it is necessary.
    (There's a definite "vibe" up there in that area of the fretboard."

matrix and pippoman like this.
  7. pippoman

Most people I know who have them say it just means easier access to the 21st or 22nd frets. I have a friend who actually plays on the 23rd and 24th frets; he’s a great player. It’s not for me.

matrix and AAT65 like this.
  8. pippoman

What he said!

matrix likes this.
  9. RoyLenoch

RoyLenoch NEW MEMBER!

All of them and sometimes above the board. If I really need more I pull out My Ibanez JAM with the monkey grip.

matrix likes this.
  10. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

12, 15 at the most occasionally.

matrix likes this.
  11. Frankentronics

Frankentronics TDPRI Member

I guess if you look at your fret wear you might be able to chart out some statistics.

matrix likes this.
  12. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I think of it more about what key centers in that second octave are useful and still sound good. I rarely play chords beyond the 17th fret, but for solos I'd guess on occasion I may go up to 22 on the E & B strings, 20 on the G string, 19 on the D & A strings and prefer to stay 17 or lower on the low E. But the main criteria is whether the notes sound good being played there with my sausage fingers and I will avoid the upper frets as much as possible. I hardly ever play predetermined solos, so I usually have the option to drop back down into a lower range if I find myself in a "these notes sound like crap" or "it's hard to maneuver in these fret spaces" area of the neck. Also, I don't use a lot of distortion, so notes (especially on the lower strings) played too high on the neck can sound plunky and plinky and just plain bad.

matrix likes this.
  13. dreamsinger

dreamsinger TDPRI Member

Honestly? I'd say most of us spend 80% of our time between the 3rd and 12th fret. Trying to play clean on the increasingly tight spaces beyond that with large hands isn't terribly rewarding. I rarely go past the 17th. It could be worse, the joke among bluegrassers is; "There ain't money past the 3rd fret".

matrix likes this.
  14. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I’m more interested in something like this than wailing up there

bromdenlong likes this.
  15. ProfessorTele

ProfessorTele TDPRI Member

I'll use every fret available for solos and routinely incorporate chord work into our songs up the 17th. But you need a high quality set-up if you want those chords to chime which is a pain when I play on friends' gear.

matrix likes this.
  16. Spooky88

Spooky88 TDPRI Member

With the pickup selector at the bridge position I play up the neck and past it including playing my neck pickup as a fret so to speak. So I use all of it and more....

17. TeleNation

TeleNation TDPRI Member

Use as many frets as you can! Dust off that axe and try using frets you don't normally. Try some of your favorite licks in a new set of frets. (Watch a Steve Morse solo online and wish you could use all the frets he does.) If you're wondering which frets you use the most of, examine your finger board wear in good light. Also look at your strings - they get flat spots where they touch the frets. Please Note: if you start to see this kind of worn areas in strings and fingerboard it's probably time for a little cleaning and change of strings. Maybe a little bridge or neck adjustment too. Keep challenging yourself playing or it will no longer be a joy.

18. mrgeeze

mrgeeze TDPRI Member

As many as play in tune.

Most of the old fenders I’ve played won’t play in tune much above 12 or 15
    On a 24 fret tele I noticed that you could get a super high G fretting between the two pick up bars on the neck Barden pick up. I thought that was kind of cool. I told my friend Danny Gatton that and after he got done laughing he stole it from me.

I owned a 24 fret carvin telecaster for a while. That was remarkably in tune guitar. I like playing up to the 24 th fret .
    like somebody earlier said it does repeat itself at 12.
    Problem with the Carvin was that even with Bardens on it it didn’t sound that great

matrix likes this.
  19. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

How do you bend a neck? Thanks!

pippoman and Jakedog like this.
  20. goodcheaptele

goodcheaptele Tele-Meister

I use up to fret 17 maybe 60% of the time. Certainly not for chordal purposes, LOL. Even with slide playing I rarely go up above 15. Truth is those tones are squawky and squeaky and who the hell needs them. I like fat mid-range tones and twangy notes with substance. I have always concerned myself with the melodies one can improvise during a lead excursion and not the timbre of the notes played. Hey, but each to his or her own, but you asked so I replied.

matrix likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.