1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seriously, how many frets do you use?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by matrix, Oct 30, 2020.

Seriously, how many Frets do you use? (normally) Up to....

1. 3 Frets and a Capo...they call me the cowboy

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  2. 5...There is no money above the 5th fret

9 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. 12 ... after that it is all just repetition

28 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. 15 ... ain't no space for my fingers after that

73 vote(s)
    21.0%
  5. 18...its getting tight up here...

105 vote(s)
    30.3%
  6. 22. That is what a Tele has, that is what I will use

103 vote(s)
    29.7%
  7. 24...My dentist went broke and sold me his guitar

27 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

15. 14 on B, up to 12 on the bottom four strings.

I like the neck join as high as possible though. The further left frets 1-15 are, the better.

2. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Apparently you've never seen some of those BIG guys that are mandolin virtuosos in Bluegrass bands. They manage to get their fingers in between those tiny frets on a mandolin, so that's no excuse.

MilwMark, matrix and Drew617 like this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I use em all, including the neck pickup for a 24th fret.

matrix likes this.
  4. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Even though I paid for all of them, I rarely go past 13.

matrix likes this.
  5. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

My 3 Fenders each have 21 frets and I use every fret during an evening. I have other guitars, but I prefer my Fenders.

matrix likes this.
  6. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Lol. OK, you got me. The truth is, George Washington came to me in a vision while I was in the tub and told me that anyone who plays above the 15th fret is a thespian and a defenestrator

dogrocketp and matrix like this.
  7. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Depends on the guitar. I use as many as are available to access without buzzing or weirdness. It's one of the reasons I have a love/hate with 12 fret acoustics. I love the shorter scale and the sound hole and bridge pulled back... but I have to rearrange some of the melodies and leads in our songs. Same for electric, I play all over the neck. Keeps me interested.

matrix and Mike SS like this.
  8. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use whatever frets are necessary for the song I am playing. I have small hands, so the upper frets aren't as much of an issue as far as space is concerned.

9. Mgeek

Mgeek TDPRI Member

I built a guitar to my own design, just cut a body shape out first and when I came to doing the neck realised a 21 or 22 fret would have had the bridge land in a weird place- too far back.

So I went with a 24 fret neck and love it! I'm no shredder - garage and psych kinda stuff, and when I'm playing in the key of E, I can do all kinds of mad downward slides, definitely glad of that extra fret

matrix likes this.
  10. Wizweird

Wizweird TDPRI Member

Tolgahan_Cogulu-150dpi.jpg how many do you want?

11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Years ago I was buying a Gibson L6-S at a local music store. I took lessons there as well. When my teacher, a well accomplished player, asked me about it I told him one of the big reasons I wanted it was because it has 24 frets. He looked at me and laughed and said, "C'mon, all the money is below the 12th fret."

As the years have passed, I find myself in full agreement with him. A 24 fret neck forces the neck pickup into a spot where it just doesn't sound as good as a 22 fret neck.

When I finally got around to scratch building an L6-S around 10 years ago, I changed the scale length to 25.50 and made a 22 fret finger board. Side by side, it smokes my old Gibson L6-S.

matrix likes this.
  12. Muadzin

Muadzin TDPRI Member

22 frets. If I need to bend to a high E I need that 22nd fret. I will not touch nor make any guitar with less. I still got two old Strats with 21 which I keep for old times sake, but other then that, 22 or out. Better to have that extra fret and not need it then need it and not have them. I never understood why Fender keeps making them with 21, which was a serious mistake by Leo Fender, and I can only suspect they keep on making them like that because most musicians are more conservative then Islamic extremists. Harumph! Leo Fender and Les Paul got it right from the start in the '50's dammit! Any deviation is just heresy!

And Fender wondered why they never managed to catch the super Strat market.

matrix likes this.
  13. 2manyteles

2manyteles TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I use them all eventually. I'd say I spend most of my time between fret 3 and 15 though.

matrix, Telenator and Supereditor like this.
  14. Supereditor

Supereditor TDPRI Member

Most of the time I stop around 15-16, but there are some songs that require them all.

matrix likes this.
  15. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Tele-Afflicted

All of my Fenders are 21 fret only, but my SG has 22. Obviously it depends upon what the song calls for, but I'm no stranger to the dustiest part of the fretboard for some highly derivative blues-rock widdling. Same policy applies for my Taylor electro - if I can reach the fret, then I'll use it at some point!

matrix likes this.
  16. bferguson

bferguson TDPRI Member

I play up to the high G on the 15th fret. So 15 through 20. I don't know anyone that plays up to the 22nd fret. I also build guitars and just can't bring myself to build one with 22 frets.

matrix likes this.
  17. dogrocketp

dogrocketp TDPRI Member

I use 22 and 24 fret guitars. I think the biggest problem we face up in the nosebleed part of the neck is that most guitars just aren’t made well enough to sound good above the 12th fret. Think about it, does Santana sound weak and thin up high? The notes are there to be used musically. I wouldn’t use a saw that only had teeth 2/3 of the way on blade. It took me 45 years to settle on PRS, and I’m not a dentist, lawyer or doctor. I’m just an old guitar player who thinks someday he’ll learn enough to be satisfied. Until then, I’ll go practice.

matrix likes this.
  18. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I play surf and both of my Jazzmasters have 21. I tune one to F#m to hit some higher notes on some songs. Definitely use all 21.

matrix likes this.
  19. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

I was wondering, how many keys does a piano player use? Most likely 88? I don't think so.

matrix likes this.
  20. Mud67

Mud67 TDPRI Member

When in the key of G major I like use the G on the 1st sting on the 15th fret and hit the 17 fret bend up to B and or used the 2nd string 17th fret and bend up to G

matrix likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.