1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Seriously...Can You NOT Steer Your Frikkin' BOAT in a Straight Line?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Drak, Mar 26, 2021.

1. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Here's a good article with maps and diagrams at the BBC.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-56538653

Interesting factoids:
    This ship is longer than the Empire State building is tall.
    12% of global shipping passes through the Suez Canal.
    The trip from Taiwan or China to Europe is about 10 days longer to go around Africa, not to mention the weather risk around the Cape of Good Hope.

There will definitely be some lessons to come from this. I took a course in engineering school on catastrophic failures. We humans always push systems to failure by cutting the safety margins as 'nothing went wrong.' Absence of failure in every day operation is not evidence of design margin!

Jim622, Oxidao and tery like this.
  2. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

yes like a Rob Dyrdek type of ridiculousness.
    that should have been in the first 3 responses not the 3rd page. Maybe y’all need to wait slightly longer for the Blowtorch response before jumping in.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. Henley

Henley Tele-Holic

...yea,. right. Ship Captains call that surface feeding.

4. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

'Seriously' is literally underrated....

Dan German likes this.
  5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I know you were kidding. The ship that’s stuck right now is larger than the largest aircraft carrier. It is HUGE. They may have lost power right before stranding. In the meantime, $6 Billion dollars worth of goods normally goes through the canal daily. This is a very big deal and you can expect ripples through the world economy just due to this one incident. The lawsuits are going to be hefty.

Jim622 and northernguitar like this.
  6. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

I reckon it's deliberate. In all the decades the suez has been open this hasn't happened. So a container shop has never navigated in a dust storm before. Also with gps and radar, a window is barely necessary.

7. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

It is a great huge windcatch, those container ships. However,a canal like this should be straight 90 degrees walls at the sides, and no sand banks and shores at the sides. Also the dimensions of this canal is too small for such a large and especially long ship.

It takes quite a while after some captain has notched the steering wheel before the whole shebang adjusts to it, and very slowly. They don't have enough "slack" so to speak in that channel for a ship to sudden avoid and steer away from something. If you hit stop for example, it takes like 20-30 minutes before the container ship will stop.You can even drop anchor and it will drag it a while on the sea bead before it stops. I find no fault with the captain on this particular ship.

They should instead see to that if these things happens, it should be solved within a few hours or so. If this ship had leaned on its side or flipped over, you'd bet that the Suez canal would be closed for the rest of the year.

Jim622 and tery like this.
  8. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

It's not your "friggin' boat" like it's a dinghy or something. Think, some japanese Telescasters could be onboard in those containers...

9. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Dunno, have only piloted a 12ft aluminum rowboat with a 20hp Mercury outboard.. could “drive” it at like 30mph flat out in a straight line across Barnegat Bay and back..... cannot imagine piloting something that huge and unwieldy through a canal.... it’ll get sorted... eventually

10. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

That ain't a boat, that's a ship, one of the largest in the world, and if you think that you could steer it through the length of the Suez Canal you're insane.

SRHmusic, PhoenixBill and Jim622 like this.
  11. omahaaudio

Seriously?

Dan German likes this.
  12. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Just waiting for the price of all the imported pedals on that ship to start rising - even if the ship can't!

13. omahaaudio

It's okay. I've got the ones I need.

bluesholyman likes this.
  14. Tele22

Tele22 Tele-Meister

I was thinking they could call in Elon Musk and strap 4 or 5 raptor engines on one side of the boat and blast it back to the middle of the canal ....

tery likes this.
  15. omahaaudio

The Suez Canal opened in 1869. Ships have gotten bigger in the last 152 years.

SRHmusic and PhoenixBill like this.
  16. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe was not an accident .... just sayin .

17. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

This is a bit tongue in cheek, I think.

Is anyone besides me amazed at how much remote sensing is being aimed at a vessel that represents all the worst in location and positioning? I'm pretty sure they figured out where it was within a millisecond of impact without targeting satellites to show where it is. Probably a ton of images sent from Geo-located smart phones from every angle not much later.

What failure in navigation systems in this day and age let it happen?

If we can't keep a vessel from hitting the side of a canal at an acute angle, what does it say about huge amounts of smaller and faster autonomous vehicles being turned loose?

I'm glad we can observe this stuff 24 hours a day from space, but maybe part of the payload should be a subscription based service alarm to tell them it was turning.

BTW- I do know it was supposed to be caused by high winds. Sort of like those on highways blowing big trucks into another lane unless corrected by the driver?

tery likes this.
  18. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

After reading very interesting points by “Chris.m” (about navigating in canals) beside other experienced people here, and reading following articule,
    I'm reaffirmed in the point that it was just a matter of time to happened. You know... Murphy.
    And if nothing changes... it will happen again.

I agree with the idea of how important is CRM (cockpit resource management), and the necessity of this implementation to naval command bridges from aeronautical cockpits.
    But this is just an initial approach, to what the aeronautical industry and authorities are doing to reduce accidents.
    You can not relay on normal conditions only (more than 99% of operations) to establish your procedures.

Your margins must be in a way that protects you in the event of an abnormality.
    I don't know if any kind of performance charts exists for certain naval ways, limiting certain conditions, as there are in every flight taking off, but surely they should.

There is no problem flying an aircraft at cruise level under 500kts (North Atlantic jet stream), but definitely getting that plane on a runway is another thing. Every aircraft has its own x/wind design limitations for t-off and landing.
    I think the same applies to ships. There is no problem with certain conditions on the open seas, where in the event of an storm you can head into the wind, but if you can't do it, you have to take into account other factors, such as the relation between minimum rudder maneouverability speed, bow thrust limits, both in power and continuous operation, etc.
    And you need a contingency/abnormal/emergency procedures in every possible case.

I insist here on my previous post regarding how bad designed procedures lead to incidents, and how easy is to blame on 'human error' to evade responsibilities.
    The human factor is in the chain, and as other links, should be considered in the fail-safe operation designment.

19. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Afflicted

Well, now we know which profession Austin Powers went into when he retired from the British Secret Service.

ale.istotle likes this.
  20. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

TB-2w inbound...Im not ok yet...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.