1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

[Serious] How do they afford all that gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lefty73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

2. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Meister

Youtubers make money off of the number of views that their videos get. There is a blue haired YouTube gamer that my kids watch who is worth $60 million! Now that certainly isn't the norm, but the successful YouTube guitar guys are probably funding their purchases through their channel earnings.

Wulf likes this.
  3. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Oh I'd be jealous as hell... if they were session guitarists in the vein of Tim Pierce, Michael Thompson, Paul Jackson Jr., Allen Hinds, etc. I think most of their "sessions" are jams on a Soundclouder's mix track or background music on a YouTuber's reaction vid.

Swampash&Tweed and Wulf like this.
  4. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

This may very well be it. Some are subtle about it, some more obvious. Actually, looking at it with a critical eye, most are probably obvious they're hype men for brands. I guess I never really thought about it that way. Maybe I'm more naive than I thought. :p

Wulf likes this.
  5. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

So are all your guitars tax deductible if you give lessons? Can you prove you need six Les Pauls to give lessons?

6. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

well actually that’s where it gets a bit philosophical. They’re mostly selling an idealized version of themselves, their brand, their personality, but with product placement. it’s like reality TV but to the micro-level, all facets of life. interesting times we live in.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

"It's easy, I don't use Cocaine".

-Frank Zappa

8. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

As mentioned, a lot of this is just another marketing channel for the companies whose gear is shown. I work for an audio company and the power of influencers is very real and very effective. Many of the influencers we work with are very good at what they do and very talented. Kudos to them if they are able monitize their skills.

We also get bombarded by "offers" to test our products. We have a dedicated group that vets potential influencers. In most cases, we reach out, rather than accept solicitations.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    loopfinding likes this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I'll choose to believe the best about those guys unless presented with evidence otherwise...that they are wise with their money, making intentional decisions and setting priorities, rather than they are just being given everything in spite of a gross lack of talent or running up massive amounts of credit card debt to look cool.

On a side note a tax write-off doesn't make anything free, you just get to buy stuff with pre-tax money.

Grant Austin likes this.
  10. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister

Kramer: “It’s just a write-off for them.
    Jerry: “How is it a write-off?”
    Kramer: “They just write it off.”
    Jerry: “Write it off what?”
    Kramer: “Jerry, all these big companies, they write-off everything.”
    Jerry: “You don’t even know what a write-off is.”
    Kramer: “Do you?”
    Jerry: “No. I don’t.”
    Kramer: “But they do, and they are the ones writing it off.”

NoTeleBob and lefty73 like this.
  11. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Influencers are a dime a dozen these days. And somehow they attract ad revenue and gear. Some actually pretty good at what they do but others have questionable skill and personality.
    I'm always commenting "please tune before demo" . :D

lefty73 and Whatizitman like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Right? Influencers is somewhat apropos. It's definitely a herd mentality that makes people believe they will make easy money with youtube. It's likely an almost infinitesimal amount of influencers that actually get noticed by everyone else and make enough ad revenue and sponsorships to make serious dough. But the fact that are highly visible in the first place is the hook. Everyone wants to get in on the act. And why not? It's free.

It's almost as bad as an MLM. It's just since setting up a channel is free, there is little incentive to capitalize on helping others help others start a channel and get subscribers.

Hmmm... Multi-Level YouTube Marketing.... Gotta look into that. But I digress.

I don't know any known influencers personally. I do however know several kids, teens, young adults, and at least one "adult", who has some type of youtube or other live streaming channel, with which they spend a LOT of time filming and streaming.... themselves... doing whatever they are doing to try to get subscribers and such. None of them to my knowledge make any revenue whatsoever. But it's not like they are just posting videos for prosperity sake. They are actively trying to get new subscribers, to watch them... play a video game, or open a toy, or whatever.

I guess if I were from a younger generation I would not be sickened by it all as much?

13. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

That's a fair point, but it also implies that you can eat for free somewhere else, like home. There's a base cost that gets ignored in those equations. But yes, you can save a lot by home cooking.

Even more wasteful dollar-wise: Buy a drink at a bar. $9, plus tip, compare that to just staying home with you pal Johnny Walker, and his brothers Black and Red. Eating/Drinking out is a money-suck.

14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They are ultra rich like me.
    with enough fu money to buy a leather covered sawhorse.

which I have a leather covered seahorse.

15. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

You'd have to have income to match the expenses you are deducting... It has to look somewhat reasonable. Also, if you always lose money, the IRS will take exception.

They also don't like it when people purchase assets that can be used "personally". Then you'd have to proportion costs.

They can be dicks about it. I recall an example from years ago where an ERA Real Estate Agent wrote off some bright "ERA orange" sport coats he bought. ERA realtors used to wear them on the job (required). The IRS insisted that since they "could" be worn off the job that they were not deductible. Taxpayers argument was that no one in their right mind wears an orange sport jacket on a personal basis. As I recall, the tax court upheld the IRS position.

SO... they might take exception. But if you were pulling in $100K in income from teaching, a few thousand or more a year for "musical equipment" depreciation would likely not be outrageous. I think you'd need to depreciate them rather than directly expense them, but I'm not a CPA.

16. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

This is a really good point. You can practically watch “it” happen if you start at the beginning.

loopfinding likes this.
  17. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Friend of Leo's

Hi.

I did a little digging a while back to find out how much money people make on YouTube. I think it was in relation to the bazillion views Bitter Sweet Symphony has.

YouTube income in general is hard to pin down, with several factors influencing it.

In the case of Bitter Sweet Symphony, I can't remember exactly now, but while it was an hunk of estimated money, it was also surprisingly low considering the view count. Basically, I found out at that time it is not very easy to make a living off YouTube. Just found this link.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-youtube-pays-for-views-100-thousand-million-150-2020-1

On the other hand, folk like That Pedal Show, who at 50K - 150k, have relatively low counts (presumably cos they don't pander to the masses, use click bait so much, etc.), but seem to do all right. They do talk often about how merch is important to their funding though. I suspect they fund the rest of their lives separately and maybe are not looking for so much profit from the show?

True. I've noticed this 'evolution' in some of them. The early vids can be quite low quality, plain and non-slick with minimal accessories hanging on the walls. And, as you suggest, a lot of success can just come down to random chance.

Yes, it's all becoming more organised, more cross-feeding, more intersectional, more 'business.' Which probably means there are more and more people off screen, in the sidelines, offering services, management, etc. Same as it ever was...

Oh, and here ya go

Pax/
    Dean

Wulf likes this.
  18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I don’t think it requires questioning people’s priorities really. A new Accord or gti runs 30 grand. People buy those all the time and nobody blinks. Hell, young people are out there leasing bmws. Taking the bus and spending the savings on gear would get you a good amount of stuff especially if you get discounts etc.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

It's more irritating for sure. I've stopped watching them. There are a few guys I watch who are actually decent at teaching. I don't really care about reviews as they are worthless. The guest appearances are blow fests where each fawns over the other.

TokyoPortrait likes this.
  20. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

ive monetised my own stuff..had loads of hits on them...i think its a bit of a con...i might have made enough over 10 years to pay for a train ticket to middlesbrough
    i dont understand how they could make money without begging for it...its a nonsense
    there has to be another explination
    ive noticed many ask for money to subsidise their channel...if people are daft enough to do that....esp now when finances are tight...well more daftness to them....the only other thing maybe their on some payroll to promote things...getting stuff sent so they can big it up as the thing we all need...(but dont)
    one of my tracks was a fav of Hun Sen...of Cambodian notoriety...did i make anything?...not a penny...no 1 in cambodia and recieved nothing for it...so how on earth do these bedroom twiddlers do it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.