1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

[Serious] How do they afford all that gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lefty73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

I saw Phil McKnight grumble once about how he "only" makes $9k a month from his YouTube channel. That's $108k a year! 30% of workers in the country makes less than $30k a year. That's nearly a third of us!

2. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

it's kind of like cars vs guitars.

We hear from all sorts of people who have very nice guitars. They may have even paid up to $3,500 for the guitar and therefore won't bring it to a gig for fear of something. I'm still not exactly sure of what they are scared of but it's something. So instead they bring their $900 guitar I guess. So they take their $900 guitar and hop in their $45,000 car and drive to the gig. Nothing about that scenario makes sense to me but it happens every day.

We then see a guy in his bedroom with 15-20,000 $ worth of equipment we might question where they are getting the money but would never question that same individual, sans gear, driving around in a $35,000 Honda Accord.

One last thing that might explain for many, if you have min expenses-mainly meaning no kids, no tuition, no cigarettes, no big mortgage and a OK paying job and NO KIDS, disposable income adds up fast.

3. highwaycat

highwaycat Tele-Holic

They do get custom guitars from builders, both small and well known.
    Keisel and Musicman built them their own signature models and they’re for sale. These kids are incredibly talented.
    However, some of them have “shown off” big houses and stuff, like multiple times. That’s when I stop watching their videos. That’s tacky.
    Honestly, beats MTV and VH1. Lots of those musicians weren’t talented at all. Lots if these youtubers are incredible. Until you can visibly see their lifestyle take a downturn, like they’re always hungover in their videos. That’s another thing that makes me stop watching their videos. There are some good kids out there though. I’m proud of em.

4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

A few are doing very smart trading. More are spending mom and dad’s money. Any number have day jobs, and have the disposable income to purchase the gear. A very few have day jobs that are music related or are doing sessions.

Some have all their guitars paid for. Others are up to their necks in debt for this hobby/job.

Swampash&Tweed likes this.
  5. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

How do you think they became "session" guitarists? They could afford to play and not work.........probably supported by some other means (yeah I'm jealous)

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I can’t speak for those guys. As for me? I’m just a working picker. I play for a living, but not at nearly the level of the business that lets me afford a lot of super nice gear. I just buy it anyhow. I tend to get carried away with the whole “I could use another tax write off” thing. But that is legit. If you’re going to do this as a real income source, you need write offs or you get murdered at tax time.

7. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

that shows what horrible seedypeople are lurking out there doesnt it
    name them shame them...if theyve actually done something grotty...jailtime at the very least for the lot of em and deservedly so
    had it been my daughter i would have taken their door off its hinges with a daneaxe...and rampaged like a beserker if i found their base of ops...if i had to travel the world to do it...so be it..honour dignity justice and destiny are all
    dodgy rubberduckers beware
    Skol
    Wulf

8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

by answering more specific questions:

how do you get a lucrative day job?
    how do you monetize a YouTube channel?
    how do you review gear for money?
    how do you keep a wife who is a doctor happy?
    how do you invest money and make it work for you?
    how do you inherit a big pile of money?
    how do you get people to give you stuff for free?

etc.

Frodebro likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I always assumed it was from monetizing their YouTube channels, Patreon and endorsements.
    Why wouldn’t Fender or other vendors send these guys gear? It’s free advertising. Some of these folks have hundreds of thousands f subscribers plus even more views.
    It must be lucrative because it’s a full time gig for some of them. Plus they all hype each other with “guest appearances”. Some are good but many are awful.

10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

As for those internet guitar folks
    A spoilt brats
    B on some payroll to showcase stuff
    C those who like to show..look what ive got...then make a right din with it
    D rubberduckers that charge idiots a fortune or beg for money to subscribe to their self opinionated twaddle
    E good musicians who actually understand that less can be more and display that knowledge well and eloquently
    i know its like a multiple choice quiz there...but thats it in a nutsack...i mean nutshell....maybe i was right first time....wheres my coffee....oh dear

11. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

unless you get a zillion hits you would be lucky enough to make enough money to buy a tub of yoghurt after 5 years
    monetizing is only them paying you to put ads on your vids...and thats annoying...(another John Lydon type rant alert)

12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

McD's #1 is about $5.99. Assume 2 morning biscuits, 2 lunch visits, and 1 evening visit to fast food a week, or 5 visits a week. Multiply times 20 years. $31k. Choices.

13. wewwllad

wewwllad TDPRI Member

Hit the nail on the head, this is how most of us that aren't currently working in music afford nice gear

ndcaster and Richie Cunningham like this.
  14. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

Why is the LLC and business expense route such a low likelihood to you? That seems most likely to me. They get a bit of revenue from YouTube, fold that into their very cheap to establish LLC, and let it ride.

Assuming you're talking to the ones who can actually play.

15. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I think the difference is that many young adults these days don't look at debt as a bad thing. They grew up with Paypal, credit cards, Apple pay, etc. When I was learning guitar at 15 there was the cash that was in my bank account from the part time job I worked. If there wasn't enough cash in my account to buy _____, then I just didn't buy it. Period.

And once I graduated high school I never moved back in with my parents. Ever. Aka, I didn't have a rent-free, expense-free living situation that let me continue spending all my income as disposable income the way I could in highschool.

I've never been rich (or anywhere close to it), but if I was willing to live paycheck-to-paycheck, spending every absolutely non-essential dollar on stuff that I want, I could have amassed a nice guitar/gear collection by now. Of course as soon as something essential broke (water heater, fuel pump, etc.), I'd be selling that collection at a loss to pay for it.

16. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

I don't know the youtube guys but...

Los Angeles and Nashville exposed me to something I'd never known before. When coming up in 90's if you were a white trash kid from a broken family you do what I did: take up an instrument. I did that, studied music in university real hardz, gave lessons, sessions, gigs..bla bla bla.

A few years back I'm visiting my former teacher at GIT in Los Angeles. He was doing some program with a heavy hitter fusion instructor there, crazy guys these fellas are.

So...he brings me into a lesson/session room and says "You ready to laugh?"

"Sure."

And he shows me a just recorded tape of graduating rehearsal. It was a guy playing a little rock shred and a few blues licks, you know, the stuff everyone knows if you know guys in actual bands. He said "this is how you graduate!" Then I saw the paperwork for the auditions to get into the school. It was basically know a few chords and the major scale. This was not a cheap school, tons of money.

Fast forward and I'm in Nashville. I run into a clique of guitar/music guys, kinda young, hang out with them for a night. All of them go to Belmont for music. They were loaded man, LOADED. Ones apartment had at least 20 g's in gear, he had a gear trailer and his Dad's 10 year old Lincoln Navigator to tow the gear with. And, how'd they play you might ask? Like guys in a rock band, again, like every guitar player I grew up with.

Then, I noticed spending some time in the high end gear shops that there's tons of these fellas (and some ladies) who just have big ass spending accounts.

Mark Twain used to say "Every wealthy heiress is also a talented painter, funny." The Guitar culture has changed quite a bit since I started to play. It's not the weirdos, the shy kids, the picked on, the dreamers, et cetera. It's a lot of kids from well to do families where Billy needs a hobby and oh look honey he's learned some John Mayer licks. Oh boy I like that John Mayer... Let's send him to college to learn more of those John Mayer licks! This Christmas, an R9, for your birthday? A Two-Rock!!

Grant Austin and lefty73 like this.
  17. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I’ve got 8 guitars, if I totaled cash outlay, could easily have spent more on a single Gibson custom shop... they’re all perfectly fine for me

glenlivet likes this.
  18. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

Believe me, I was not pleased when I found this out.

The kid is really sweet, but has a dysfunctional home life. My wife and I seriously discussed the issue with her mom, and she just didn’t “see a problem...”

Dad was not in the picture at the time and ended up dead shortly thereafter (drugs).

We told the Grandparents—grandpa was furious, but couldn’t get the mom/his daughter to listen to reason. Fortunately, the kid (the granddaughter) had enough intelligence and integrity to say “no” when the swimsuit folks started sending her completely inappropriate stuff...as opposed to just a little inappropriate.

If I knew the name of the company, I’d shout it from the mountaintop...but I never found out...I think I subconsciously avoided finding out too much—I wouldn’t even look at the pics.

Wulf likes this.
  19. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

as a parent i think that behaviour is unacceptable by her parents.
    folk like that shouldnt have kids...they probably saw no problem because they would take any money the poor girl may have made just to feed their disgustingly selfish equally disgusting habits
    have habits or have kids...not both...anyone can get into a bad slope if they allow it...but them..grrr
    it puts the mother at the same level as the vultures out there
    im glad it all worked out well in the end
    people need to be careful..some other poor kid ..you know
    everyone that gets away without harm ...is outnumbered by possibly countless poor victims of these parasites
    the should be publically Blood Eagled...you could probably sell tickets for that...hog roast...few bands some ale.and a stand up comedian a magician and a venrtiloquist..maybe even a juggler...then...and now ladies and gentlemen...the moment you have all been waiting for....curtain back..roll on the drums...leave rest to your imagination
    Skol
    Wulf

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Fiesta Red likes this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

I think people are really making this more complicated than it is.

If you scroll back through their vids, some start modest with tutorials and their own everyman gear, some are rich folks showing off clickbait toys off the bat, and some blew up for random nonsense. Either way, once they're monetized, they become the new hype guys. Selling their brand and what that brand can do for your product becomes their job, and it comes with the perks of that job (reviewing gear, receiving free stuff, buying things at dealer cost, going to conventions, etc). And it’s cheaper for companies than taking a magazine ad out and more effective. Nobody seems to question guys doing features for Premier Guitar or whatever, but the average person sees these youtubers and thinks they’re “just some guy," or “who’s this rich a-hole with all this stuff?” The moment you see a review with nice HD footage, proper lighting, nice audio quality, and more followers than the average human being has, the hustle should immediately be pretty apparent. Like someone said, if you’re even just seeing their content, it’s for a reason.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    TokyoPortrait likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.