1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

[Serious] How do they afford all that gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by lefty73, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, Great point, I grimace too.

lefty73 likes this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

Haha, yup, same!

But it also depends on living situation. I wasn’t even making that much money when I was in my early 20s. But with multiple roommates, no kids, no student loan (at the time), no mortgage, no car payment...it’s amazing what kind of sweet gear you can have.

Dismalhead likes this.
  3. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

4. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

Great discussion, all. Thanks for taking some time out of your days to think on this and respond.

There are definitely more options than the three I came up with in my original post - Lord knows the "music industry" has been more industry than music for a few decades now, so anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit, silver tongue, or both has more options available to them.

Even if they can't play more than a slightly out-of-tune G-C-D.

As a lefty, can I use my "handicap" as a marketing tool? :)

unixfish likes this.
  5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Have you ever known anyone into horses--especially dressage and and adult hunter-jumper competitors? They spend thouuuuuuuuuuusands of dollars every month on care and feeding, upkeep, gear, you name it. I know a few gals that have horses in nicer accommodations than their human owner lives in. Not kidding. And these are hobbyists.

It all comes down to what each person likes to do with their time and money. Sometimes it becomes a self-destructive obsession.

6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Plenty of these guys are making $100-200,000 on ads, it's all just influencing stuff at this point.

Easy to buy tons of guitars & gear if you're single with no dependents and you're making that, and I bet they find ways to write it off. It makes no sense not too and it doesn't even seem vaguely bad relative to what gets written off in many other types of businesses.

And almost all the gear vids are marketing.. they are getting paid by the companies to almost never say anything bad about anything.

It's gotten to the point it's horrible. Keeley just dropped their new reverb/trem combo pedal and I literally get 10 suggested videos about it within 1 hour of the Keeley launch. It's all a marketing campaign. Companies like Walrus & such are super blatant about this too. Look at the mess with the collaboration pedals made for the Pedal Move that just came out a few weeks ago.

This whole youtube/instagram paid shill gig is practically the new hustle.. if you've got the playing skills + video production skills it's gotta be a better bet than trying to make a career out of selling albums or touring.

It just kind of reached a head with me lately.. the stuff has become unwatchable.

loopfinding, lefty73 and NoTeleBob like this.
  7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

If I had put all the money I've spent on booze into gear I would be tripping over vintage guitars in my hallway.

But I didn't.

I'm okay with that.

8. mudbelly

mudbelly Tele-Meister

I have a friend, pretty talented but works a white collar job who told me he has bought a guitar a year since the late 70s.

Those first few came pretty cheap and I would imagine are quite valuable today.

It's just budget management.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I think the Youtube/Instagram guys we're talking about were mostly born after 1990.

10. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I think its all credit card debt.I don't see them getting custom guitars from small builders.They don't need to give away a $3000 Tom Anderson,or Santa Cruz or any of that lots,to get attention.Not alot of high paying jobs floating around.Whenever I say this,I get called old.

simoncroft likes this.
  11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i mean, it's been more industry than music since tin pan alley. it's always been that way, the schemes just change.

TokyoPortrait and simoncroft like this.
  12. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

Possibly they've not shelled out on a 30 grand car and bought a 2 grand runaround. My pedal bike cost twice what my car was. I think it's where you prioritise. I quit smoking to save for a holiday. Still quit

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Being an "influencer" is apparently quite profitable, if you can get enough followers in the right market niches. Getting followers is often a function of having a memorable onscreen presence and delivery. It can me low key, like a PBS presenter, someone who is easy on the eyes or over-the-top manic presentation but it has to connect with a large enough audience. If you're a big enough influencer, you can get free or loaner products sent to you.

14. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Meister

"I made enough money to buy Miami but I pissed it away so fast" - A Pirate Looks at Forty, J. Buffett

Me too, not on booze, but I definitely haven't made the best decisions at all times regarding money. Or maybe at any time.

Tommyd55 and hemingway like this.
  15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I cant speak for the populous,but in my case from sound man to engineer to player ,I have kept my foot in the industry for a long time ( since i was 12) and some how through my many contacts i have become a magnet for free gear that people want to dispose of , I'll take it no worries there and over several years I have been able to accumulate enough gear to do any twisted thing my little imagination will allow me to. Ilike to build and invent things , repurpose items to do what they were never intended to. But due to my compulsive personality If I get an Idea I have to see it through to completion

simoncroft likes this.
  16. Taurus

Taurus TDPRI Member

I wonder this too I think they must be professional or sponsored by the companies, if not no idea how they can afford it all

17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

Exactly. My wife rides horses and has 3 at home and 2 dressage horses in stables... she is an amateur who rides in regional competitions.

Saddles, tack, board and lodge in the stables, vets... even for her modest horses it adds up.

Horses are her passion like mine is guitars.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Rustbucket, Tommyd55 and Peegoo like this.
  18. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Holic

It's not just the MI industry and it's certainly not just YT. Female TV presenters in particular get a lot of free clothes if they wear them on-air. There's one on the BBC news over here. Every time she's doing a report to camera from outside wherever, she's got a new coat on. "Hmmn, that's a nice coat..." is a running joke in this house, because she'd need a 100ft wardrobe if they were all her's.

I think, technically, they are only on loan, but I imagine not many fashion houses really want them back. A lot of them probably get given to the backroom staff, who don't get those kind of perks.

loopfinding likes this.
  19. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I make very little money and have a bunch of very cool gear.
    The Mrs. and I take very basic vacations in out 10' camper; we don't shop for kicks; we don't drink, smoke or dope; we seldom eat at restaurants, we have about a week's worth of clothing and enough shoes to get by. The wife has 1 handbag.
    We drive sensible, older cars.
    We no longer have a mortgage payment, but when we did, it was under $800.
    Our house was small...easy to maintain...we heat with wood.
    We do not pay anybody to cut our grass.
    We have learned how to grow some of our own food, fix our own equipment, basic plumbing and electricity.
    We buy an appliance when the old one breaks.
    We do not "remodel" because we got sick of blue...or want to switch from French Provincial to Brooklyn Versailles.
    My wife trusts me to buy right and she knows most of what I have is worth more than I paid for it.
    Most of my gear money comes from gigs.
    If I make 2-3k a year playing my little local gigs, that's a nice piece of gear.
    Sometimes the money just adds up in the checking account because we don't spend it, and I buy something cool.
    We carry no credit card debt.
    Many do.

20. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Some just raid Dad's stash. Lord knows my kid cant afford any of the gear he plays

FenderLover likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.