Series Wiring in Strat

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
Is it possible to wire up a 7 way Strat with 2 positions for series wiring? I know its popular with the Telecaster but any downsides on a Strat? I know the Blender mod is popular with the Strat but I near hear of the series mod .

Thanks-

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
the Freeway 10 switch is very cool, basically the stock 5 tones on one side, then click the switch over and you get some series combinations plus neck and bridge.
And check out Deaf Eddie's site, he has some cool Strat wiring options.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
I have a Strat with series wiring. It doesn't sound like a typical humbucker and I really don't find the sound useful. Perhaps if the pickups were underwound.

Actually, I could probably live with a 3 way traditional switch on a Strat.

Last edited:

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Always looking for switching options. I will be adding the 10 way to my strat. That one is cool as is the 6 position tele switch.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a Strat with series wiring. It doesn't sound like a typical humbucker and I really don't find the sound useful. Perhaps if the pickups were underwound.

Yup, agree 100%. Nothing but a humbucker sounds like a humbucker. The series single coils is its own thing, more Brian May than Billy Gibbons but if you’re rig is set up for them it can be fun. More “shades of anger” if you will.

G Stone496

Tele-Meister
Is it possible to wire up a 7 way Strat with 2 positions for series wiring? I know its popular with the Telecaster but any downsides on a Strat? I know the Blender mod is popular with the Strat but I near hear of the series mod .

Thanks-
To my ears, the two quack positions, neck & middle and bridge & middle don’t sound that good in series. However neck & bridge in series sounds great. Try it on a Strat and see what you think.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Website is gone I got this from (http://www.dominocs.com) but this gives two options.................u be da judge (I always say, your geetar, your ears)

This mod will allow Series coupling of the Neck and Middle pickups and of the Middle and Bridge pickups.

You would have to play around, I don't have exact details on how you set things but the lower tone pot functions as a blender.

So the switch is just to be able to do two series options.

Attachments

• Strat MIDDLE in Series  w-push pull.gif
    Strat MIDDLE in Series w-push pull.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 25

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire

Strat Tele other single coils do sound better in series if they are not real hot pickups, hotter pickups in series get real muddy sounding to me. I had a Gibson L6S one time, hot humbuckers, and there was a series combination, I didn't like it.

rdjones

Tele-Holic
I use a simplified version of the "Armstrong blender" to put the bridge and middle into series.
I use the bottom tone pot as the series blend control, no separate switch.
It retains the stock appearance.
In my implementation the neck position is unaffected by the blend, the neck position on the 5way is always neck only (I didn't care for the neck and middle series option).
The bridge switch position blends from bridge only to bridge and middle in series.
It was important to me that the extremes of the 5way positions (all the way forward "1" and all the way back "5") be my default rhythm sound and the lead sounds - either bridge only or the series setting.

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
A couple of years ago I drew up a scheme using one DP/DT switch (toggle or p/p) and a superswitch that would change the #2 and #4 throws from parallel to series. Looks cool on paper, I did it to one of my Strats and it worked. The new tones were OK, but I concur that the best series option is the bridge and neck (all my rotaries do that one). The series combos with the mid pup were just not as "dramatic."

THEN, I bought a bunch of those six-way lever pickup selectors for Strats when they first came out. I was hoping I'd find a way to use them with my rotary kits, but the rotary schemes just work better with a plain ol' 5-way.

Anyway, I thought the two best options for the 6-ways (with no other switches required) were the standard Strat five PLUS either the bridge+neck parallel OR the bridge-SERIES-neck combo.

If any of this is something you want to try, PM me and I'll look for the drawings.

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
I have an American Deluxe Strat that accomplishes this via an S1 switch. With the switch disengaged the 5-way selector works normally. With the S1 engaged you get neck and middle in series in the neck position, and middle and bridge in series in the bridge position.

I've never been crazy about this tone, as it's a little too dark and muddy for me. However, the 2 and 4 positions with the S1 engaged put the same pickup combinations in series, and then that goes in parallel with a capacitor that, I find, clears things up a bit. It's got some of the humbucker thickness and "oomph" without the mud.

It won't fool anyone into thinking I'm playing a Les Paul, but it does let my Strat "hang" better when I'm playing among that type of tone and want mine to be more similar than different.

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
A couple of years ago I drew up a scheme using one DP/DT switch (toggle or p/p) and a superswitch that would change the #2 and #4 throws from parallel to series. Looks cool on paper, I did it to one of my Strats and it worked. The new tones were OK, but I concur that the best series option is the bridge and neck (all my rotaries do that one). The series combos with the mid pup were just not as "dramatic."

THEN, I bought a bunch of those six-way lever pickup selectors for Strats when they first came out. I was hoping I'd find a way to use them with my rotary kits, but the rotary schemes just work better with a plain ol' 5-way.

Anyway, I thought the two best options for the 6-ways (with no other switches required) were the standard Strat five PLUS either the bridge+neck parallel OR the bridge-SERIES-neck combo.

If any of this is something you want to try, PM me and I'll look for the drawings.
What I would like to do is add a 6 position switch to add the Bridge/Neck in parallel setting. And then do some sort of push/pull pot to kick in series on that setting ONLY. Don't want series with any of the middle pickup combinations. Then have a tone pot for the bridge only and the other shared for the middle and neck pickups. Is this doable?

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here's the bridge-series-neck scheme for the two-pole 6-way Grigsby switch that is available from Stewmac (and probably others). Your bridge pickup MUST have a negative lead that is independent of the ground/shield for the series to work properly - the same way you need to have a "three lead" neck pickup for the Fender 4-way mod.

1665686487859.png

Switching from series to parallel: try this one, I drew it up a few days ago for another player with a similar request.

1665686330501.png

AS for the tone pots, you could hang the tone pot for bridge on lug #3 with the bridge hot, affecting the bridge solo, in series or parallel with the neck, and bridge+mid throws. The tone for the neck would go on lug #7 with the neck's hot and would also affect the neck+mid combo. Can't figure out a way to get a tone on the mid-only - in that way it's like the Jimmie Vaughn Strat.

Someone else may come up with a slicker way to do it, but I think that's about as close as I can get you with the two-pole 6-way. If you come up with a four-pole 6-way, you could get exactly what you asked for - but I haven't seen one of those.

Last edited:

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
Here's the bridge-series-neck scheme for the two-pole 6-way Grigsby switch that is available from Stewmac (and probably others). Your bridge pickup MUST have a negative lead that is independent of the ground/shield for the series to work properly - the same way you need to have a "three lead" neck pickup for the Fender 4-way mod.

View attachment 1039677

Switching from series to parallel: try this one, I drew it up a few days ago for another player with a similar request.

View attachment 1039675

AS for the tone pots, you could hang the tone pot for bridge on lug #3 with the bridge hot, affecting the bridge solo, in series or parallel with the neck, and bridge+mid throws. The tone for the neck would go on lug #7 with the neck's hot and would also affect the neck+mid combo. Can't figure out a way to get a tone on the mid-only - in that way it's like the Jimmie Vaughn Strat.

Someone else may come up with a slicker way to do it, but I think that's about as close as I can get you with the two-pole 6-way. If you come up with a four-pole 6-way, you could get exactly what you asked for - but I haven't seen one of those.
Wouldnt a jumper wire from Lug 7 to Lug 5 give you tone control on the neck+middle? Or would that not work? I know in the stock wiring you can just add a jumper wire on the switch and add the bridge pickup to the second tone control along with the middle pickup?

Is this a push/pull pot to do the switching?

Series would be nice. But for simplicity sake, I might just add the Neck+Bridge Parallel only. Would this eliminate the issue with wiring up the tone controls on the 6 way switch (tone 1-neck&middle and tone 2-Bridge)?

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
"Wouldn't a jumper wire from Lug 7 to Lug 5 give you tone control on the neck+middle?"

Connecting the tone pot to lug #7 gives you a tone on both the neck+mid and neck throws. IF you jumpered #5 and #7 together, you would get neck+mid in both throws - no neck-only.

"... Neck+Bridge Parallel only. Would this eliminate the issue with wiring up the tone controls on the 6 way switch...?"

IF you hard-wired it as bridge+neck (parallel, no switch), it's a whole different scheme and drawing.

Hard-wired parallel, you could use the "A" side of the switch to connect the tone pots (instead of the negative lead from the bridge pickup). You could hang one tone on lug #0 to affect the bridge+neck and bridge-only throws (but NOT the bridge+mid throw); OR hang it on lug #2 to affect the bridge-only bridge+mid, and mid-only (but not the bridge+neck, and you'd have two tones affecting the mid-only throw). Put the other one on lug #4 to affect the mid, mid+neck, and neck-only throws.

If you choose to wire it in series or switchable (my drawing), I can't think of any other way to connect two tones other than how I suggested it.

"Is this a push/pull pot to do the switching?"

You could use a p/p OR a 2-way DP-DT mini toggle for the series/parallel switch.

Last edited:

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
Thought up another idea. Would it be possible to wire up a blender pot so it blends in the middle pickup on the neck and bridge settings? That way you could eliminate 2 &4 off the switch.

Then the switch would be something like this using a standard 5 way switch
1-Bridge Pickup only (can blend with middle)
2-Bridge + Neck (Parallel)
3- Bridge+Neck (Series)
4-Middle Pickup only
5-Neck Pickup only (can blend with middle)

Would it be possible to run a master tone with the neck&bridge hooked up but the middle pickup wide open?

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

When you are wiring up alternative schemes ... always keep in mind that you need to make it easy to use and easy to remember six months from now or in the middle of a gig.

There are wiring schemes where you can get 400+ unique switching tone options out of a Strat. Look up the forum 'guitarnuts2' and tip toe through the wiring section.

What I have found the most useful, after modding a lot (and learning the above advice I gave about being simple):

-Neck+Bridge option by physically swapping pickups in the pickguard (either neck-middle or bridge-middle) or by soldering at the 5-way switch. This gives you a 'Tele 3-way' plus two extra middle pickup tones, giving up either he #2 or #4 Quack depending on which pair of pickups you swap.

-Armstrong Blender. Wiring only change, no new parts. Second tone pot blends between stock SSS Strat (the reason for having a Strat in the fleet anyway) and series HSH or anywhere between. Sometimes distortion is too fizzy with a humbucker guitar or series pickups so you can roll back a little more single coil 'bite', or that single coil seems too thin so roll in a bit of a thicker series tone.

When you get into the furrow of 'I want this switch position to do this, that one to do that" then you get into the 5-way-super-switch realm that is very complicated to wire up.

If there are any pickup combination you want to try the tone of ... rather than some super complicated switching and wiring deal ... just hard-wire the pickups in the way you want to experiment. If that is definitely a tone you really want then try to figure out the wiring diagram to get it. Those guitars with 400 switching options are fun while experimenting but over the long haul there are only two or three tones that players want and they can never remember where to get them. Simplicity is necessary.

Last edited:

Fender_Player90

TDPRI Member
You can't do that with a standard Strat 5-way. Throws #3 and #4 share lugs.
Can you do 2 push-pull pots on a 5 way switch? One to engage the neck pickup with the bridge and the other to engage series with either any combination of pickups including neck and bridge with the other push-pull on or series on just the neck and bridge?

Or a push pull pot on the master tone pot with the blender mod that switches from parallel blending in the neck to series?

Im ditching the 6 way switch idea. The Freeway Switch sounds cool but has more switching options than I want when I really just want to add 2.

I rewired the guitar last night to standard 5 way with tone 2 on the bridge....and tone 1 for the neck and middle wideopen. It sounds good that way. And i tried a no load pot on the bridge and I dont find much difference between it on 10 and taken out of the circuit with a no load pot. I also tried a .033 capacitor vs the .022 I was using. It muddied up quick even though its the bridge. I like the .022 better even though its the bridge. So before I wanted 2 tones thinking I could run the bridge with a different capacitor and setting thinking it would need more tone control since its so bright. Well, after I tried this....a master tone control seems better and then youll never have any setting going through two tone controls. The bridge on 10 is not much different than it wide open and the middle pickup benefits more wide open. But seems like with a smaller capacitor at 10 its only bleeding a little bit to ground. So im reconsidering revisiting the blender mod for the master tone. Or keep the two tones and switch to an .022 capacitor for the bridge tone.

Last edited: