Series/Parallel with push/pull tone pot for Nashville Tele with 5-way switch.

Travisb1989

TDPRI Member
Hey everybody, this is my first time posting. Hopefully you guys can help me out because I’m new to wiring and don’t really understand much.
I have a G&L Nashville tele with a 5-way switch and a push-pull volume pot. (Picture of Current schematic I’m using is attached below.)
Is there a way to get the additional sound of the bridge pickup and middle pickup in SERIES by adding a push/pull tone pot??
I can’t find any schematics online and I even contacted G&L directly with no luck. They told me there is a way to do it but they legally are not allowed to tell me. Any help you could provide for a specific way to wire this extra sound would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, Travis
6DC06E19-4284-4F0D-B555-1B34E18405A1.jpeg

Travisb1989

TDPRI Member
I just want to be able to pull up on the new Push/pull tone pot and have it bypass the 5-way switch and be the bridge pickup and middle pickup in series.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
and you still want to retain the neck and bridge with the stock switch there?

IDK of how you can bypass the 5 w. Acually I don't see any reason a person would need to do that, for any matter really.

The cavity below the pots is often limited. On Fender, the area below the tone pot is routed out more so a p/p pot can fit. Obvioulsy they have room under their VOLUME pot.

IDK about G&L but if you want to retain the b&n option, you may need to put a mini-toggle switch between the pots.

Regardless, for series, you'll have to mod the brdige pickup to have three wires (unless it already does,). The metal baseplate has to have its own, separate grounding wire. It may already? Let us know if you need instruction on that deal.

As far as wiring, either a mini-toggle or P/P switch would be wired like below for series of any two pups. So in your case, pickup one would be middle, pup #2 bridge. As you can see with pickup # 2 (your bridge) all that's done with those leads is the coil ground (RED-negative) wire goes to the switch there as in the diagram.

Attachments

• series_howto  this one  on JM.gif
    series_howto this one on JM.gif
    12.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Travisb1989

TDPRI Member
Thank you so much! That’s exactly what I’ve been looking for! So I would need 3 wires from the bridge pickup and two wires for the middle pickup right?
Someone told me I could break the small ground wire to the bridge plate and run a cable off that. Would that work?

Also, would this retain my current combinations on the 5-way switch and if so, what position would the 5-way need to be for the push pull to work?

Sorry for all the questions, I’m new at this.

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
My pleasure.

>Someone told me I could break the small ground wire to the bridge plate and run a cable off that. Would that work?<

Yes

>Also, would this retain my current combinations on the 5-way switch<

Yes

>what position would the 5-way need to be <

I believe the 5 w would need to be all the way back, #1 (bridge only) when you engage the series option (tone knob up).

Also to note, for wiring orientation on a p/p, the TOP of that switch in the diagram, would need to be the knob end. So pull up to get seires.

I have a Fender Dlx. Nashville and definitely wanted b&n so have a p/p tone pot.............wouldn't be without it !

Take your time doing this, better to spend an hour and have it right, than 30 minutes then 4 hours trying to figure out what's wrong and resolder everything :cool:

Do keep us posted.

Last edited:

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Welcome to the forum!

Here's one for you. I copied your G&L diagram close enough, though I didn't put the treble bleed. I'll leave that to you.

You still have normal behavior with the S1 switch up (disengaged). Including your blend switch. Actually not a blend, but a bridge-or-neck ON.

But with the S1 engaged (down), the 5-way does nothing, and every position is the same. Bridge and Middle in series.

Also, there's no need to mess with the bridge grounded baseplate. Leave it as is.

Screen Shot 2022-04-15 at 04.14.38 PM.png

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My pleasure.

>Someone told me I could break the small ground wire to the bridge plate and run a cable off that. Would that work?<

Yes

>Also, would this retain my current combinations on the 5-way switch<

Yes

>what position would the 5-way need to be <

I believe the 5 w would need to be all the way back, #1 (bridge only) when you engage the series option (tone knob up).

Also to note, for wiring orientation on a p/p, the TOP of that switch in the diagram, would need to be the knob end. So pull up to get seires.

I have a Fender Dlx. Nashville and definitely wanted b&n so have a p/p tone pot.............wouldn't be without it !

Take your time doing this, better to spend an hour and have it right, than 30 minutes then 4 hours trying to figure out what's wrong and resolder everything :cool:

Do keep us posted.

The problem I see with a simple series toggle is those pesky 5-way notch positions. You end up with two in series, and another in parallel, or worse, depending which notch, and which pickups are in series.

Saying you need to be in X 5-way position is one thing, but doing it in real time is more difficult, IMO. Unless you were already in bridge position, and wanted to stay there afterward, turning series on and off requires two actions each time. And if you forget, you'll either get a dead spot, or some weird combo that you didn't plan on.

Once again, this is why I loathe the Strat 5-way. But that's just my little rant, nevermind.

I tried to solve the OPs request, in keeping with my ... circuit sensibilities... with just a push-pull, but I needed that third pole on the S1. Unless you can see a better way... My brain is a little fried. Sitting here all day getting an infusion, drawing circuits. Much better than NOT drawing circuits, but I'm still worn out. 😄

sjtalon

Doctor of Teleocity
Being too lazy to read the diagram,

>Also, there's no need to mess with the bridge grounded baseplate. Leave it as is.<

Splain that please ?

P.S. oh Sorry Moosie, just saw this: "My brain is a little fried" (we were posting at the same time)

You can wait until tomorrow to answer if need be :p

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Being too lazy to read the diagram,

>Also, there's no need to mess with the bridge grounded baseplate. Leave it as is.<

Splain that please ?

P.S. oh Sorry Moosie, just saw this: "My brain is a little fried" (we were posting at the same time)

You can wait until tomorrow to answer if need be :p
No need to mess with it because we're not lifting ground on bridge.

The whole issue of baseplate separation on bridge pickups, and covers on neck pickups is to provide a dedicated ground for the metal. If the pickup wasn't designed initially to be wired OOP or in series, chances are the common coil lead doubles as the frame ground. Why? Because it's "always" grounded anyway.

But not if we want to flip the leads on that pickup. And not if we want to lift the common from ground and connect it to another pickup in series.

But... we needn't retrofit all the pickups in a guitar to fix this issue. Just the ones we'll need to lift the commons. And in my diagram, that's only the middle pickup. (I could have hard-grounded middle and lifted bridge, same tonal difference, but then we'd have to do that extra work on the bridge).

Make sense?

Travisb1989

TDPRI Member
Welcome to the forum!

Here's one for you. I copied your G&L diagram close enough, though I didn't put the treble bleed. I'll leave that to you.

You still have normal behavior with the S1 switch up (disengaged). Including your blend switch. Actually not a blend, but a bridge-or-neck ON.

But with the S1 engaged (down), the 5-way does nothing, and every position is the same. Bridge and Middle in series.

Also, there's no need to mess with the bridge grounded baseplate. Leave it as is.

View attachment 974082
Wow… that is amazing! I’m gonna give this a shot. That’s exactly what I want ! Thank you so much for taking the time to break that all down for me. It is much appreciated

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Wow… that is amazing! I’m gonna give this a shot. That’s exactly what I want ! Thank you so much for taking the time to break that all down for me. It is much appreciated
You're welcome.

If you're new to S1 wiring, note the color coding. The switch is kinda symmetrical, but maybe not how you expect.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
Check out the Freeway 10 switch, it's VERY cool, you get the stock 5 tones plus 5 more (3 series combinations, plus neck and bridge and all 3 pickups) And it's very easy to use too and it was pretty easy to wire up also.