Series Parallel with Nashville tele

Travisb1989

TDPRI Member
Hey everybody, this is my first time posting. Hopefully you guys can help me out because I’m new to wiring and don’t really understand much.
I have a G&L Nashville tele with a 5-way switch and a push-pull volume pot. (Picture of Current schematic I’m using is attached below.)
Is there a way to get the additional sound of the bridge pickup and middle pickup in SERIES by adding a push/pull tone pot??
I can’t find any schematics online and I even contacted G&L directly with no luck. They told me there is a way to do it but they legally are not allowed to tell me. Any help you could provide for a specific way to wire this extra sound would be greatly appreciated.
I just want to be able to pull up on the new push/pull tone pot and have it bypass the five way switch and give me the bridge pickup and middle pickup in series.
Thank you for your time, Travis
03E25EA2-32EB-412C-B4DF-AF3E40E41227.jpeg

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
To get exactly what you want, you actually need three poles:

One, a pole to switch the mid pup's negative (aka ground) from ground to the bridge pup's hot (for your series connection)

Two, a pole to switch the lead to the volume pot between the output of the 5-way and the mid pup's hot (to give you the mid-series-bridge combo overriding the 5-way)

And three, a pole to switch the mid pup's hot OFF of the 5-way, so that in the bridge+mid throw, the shared lug (between the bridge and mid hot) on the 5-way doesn't interfere with the series connection.

Without pole three, the pull-for-series override would still only play the bridge pickup when the 5-way is in the bridge+mid throw (plays the series combo in all other throws). So, you would have to make sure the 5-way was not in the bridge+mid throw when you pulled to get the series combo.

So, everything you ask for can't quite be done with a Dp-Dt push pull.

Two ideas:

If you dispensed with the idea to override the 5-way - without pole three - you could wire a p/p so that the mid-only throw on the 5-way would give you the mid-series-bridge combo - but then you'd just get the bridge only tone in both the bridge and bridge+mid throws (same tone both throws). No bridge+mid combo with the p/p pulled. This would also affect the mid+neck throw, giving you the mid-series-bridge + neck combo.

OR... If you replace your stock 5-way with a 24-lug superswitch, you could avoid the duplicate combo, and keep the bridge alone tone and the bridge+mid tone, with the p/p replacing the mid-only throw on the 5-way with the mid-series-bridge combo. Or, if you prefer, the p/p could replace the bridge+mid with the mid-series-bridge combo, keeping the mid-only tone. You can get into lots of mischief with a superswitch and a couple of p/p...

Last edited:

Travisb1989

TDPRI Member
Thank you so much for your reply. I’m new to wiring so please bare with me and pardon my newbie questions.
I’m not dead set on bypassing the 5 way switch.
Is there a way to keep what I have, but add the bridge and middle in series by adding a p/p tone pot and using some combination of the 5-way switch?
I saw one site telling me to, “break the small ground jumper on the bottom of the middle pickup and to run a length of wire off that”… but again I don’t know where those wires would run to..
Would that, combined with a p/p tone pot, allow me to keep the current wiring pattern plus add the middle/bridge series function?

Attachments

• A4964661-4EEC-4FD3-A6EC-196134535FC5.jpeg
    A4964661-4EEC-4FD3-A6EC-196134535FC5.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 8

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here's ONE way to do it. You'll have to move a wire or two and add a few...

1649883454499.png

Step by step:

FIRST, rewiring the "neck on" volume p/p:

Add a jumper between the two commons of the 5-way (shown here as a short blue line on the 5-way)

Remove the red lead that goes from the bridge lug on the 5-way to the volume p/p and solder it to the bridge lug on the OTHER side of the 5-way (shown here as a red line).

Now when you pull the neck+bridge p/p at the volume pot, the neck throw on the 5-way is just the neck only, instead of repeating the bridge+neck (G&L should have done it this way in the first place).

With the volume p/p pulled, the 5-way gives you:
bridge+neck / all three pickups / mid / mid+neck / neck.

Take a break and check your work...

Next, the wiring series combo tone p/p:

Swap out the tone pot for a p/p.

Wire the pot half of the p/p as your tone pot is wired now.

Remove the mid pup's ground lead from the volume p/p, and solder it to the middle lug of the tone p/p (shown here as a short green line)

Solder a lead from the "top" lug of the tone p/p - the one farthest from the pot - to ground (shown here as a black line)

Run a lead from the "bottom" lug of the tone p/p - the one closest to the tone pot - to the lug on the 5-way with the bridge pup's hot (shown here as a long blue line).

Now with the tone p/p pulled, the 5-way gives you:
bridge / bridge (repeats) / mid-series-bridge / (mid series bridge)+neck / neck.

Pulling BOTH P/P gives you:
bridge+neck / bridge+neck (repeats) / (mid-series-bridge) / (mid-series-bridge)+neck) / neck.

AND, that's as close as I can come to what you've asked for, using two p/p.
Since I haven't done this exact scheme myself, hopefully someone will chime in and check my work.

Attachments

• 1649882675373.png
    1649882675373.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Hey everybody, this is my first time posting. Hopefully you guys can help me out because I’m new to wiring and don’t really understand much.
I have a G&L Nashville tele with a 5-way switch and a push-pull volume pot. (Picture of Current schematic I’m using is attached below.)
Is there a way to get the additional sound of the bridge pickup and middle pickup in SERIES by adding a push/pull tone pot??
I can’t find any schematics online and I even contacted G&L directly with no luck. They told me there is a way to do it but they legally are not allowed to tell me. Any help you could provide for a specific way to wire this extra sound would be greatly appreciated.
I just want to be able to pull up on the new push/pull tone pot and have it bypass the five way switch and give me the bridge pickup and middle pickup in series.
Thank you for your time, Travis View attachment 973202
This is very artistic-- it looks like a Robert Crumb wiring schematic. You just need some hippie girls with big rear ends drawn in the margins explaining how to solder it up.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

I use the Armstrong Blender Mod to get what you are trying to have there.
Remove your stock wiring harness in one piece and store+label the bag so if you ever want to go back stock you can do that easily.

Then wire up the ABM. Instead of the third tone knob (that a Strat has) you could run it to the push/pull and get the two endpoints. Or use a stacked pot on the tone (tip and ring knob set with concentric pot).

The other option is the Robbie Robertson Strat switching, might get you there. He had a standard Strat he added push/pull to get bridge and middle in series humbucking mod (he also moved the middle pickup next to the bridge pickup with a body route mod plus custom pickguard.