1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Series/parallel wiring with DPDT switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SixStringSlinger, Dec 2, 2020.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I'm putting together/modding a super-Strat with a single humbucker, volume control and series/parallel switch. I'll be using this diagram, which shows the switch as part of the volume pot, but I'm assuming I can wire my separate switch in a similar way (correct me if I'm wrong here).

unnamed.jpg

My question is: wired and oriented as shown here, would the humbucker be in series or parallel with the toggle pointing up?

2. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Holic

Series is the top, parallel is the bottom, in the diagram shown.

Top and bottom in the picture, that is. Not top and bottom from the point of view of the volume pull-push. That would be opposite because the volume control is upside down in the picture.

SixStringSlinger likes this.
  3. SixStringSlinger

So if series is the top, does that mean the pickup will be in series if the switch is pointing down?

EDIT: For clarity, I'm using a separate toggle for series/parallel. This is just the best diagram I could find with a single humbucker, volume and series/parallel.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

If you are using a toggle, find a 3-way on/on/on toggle switch.
    That gives you Parallel/Single(either inner or outer coil)/Series.

I use a 4-way blade switch on my Tele-Esquire-H to get neck/parallel/bridge/humbucker -- which might be good fun for you too. This setup benefits from having a humbucker with screw poles to further separate bobbin outputs with pickup height. I can cover Tele neck, Strat Quack, Tele Twang, and LP humbucker.

[​IMG]

5. SixStringSlinger

I've had coil splitting on a couple of guitars and never liked it. I could get the full humbucker sounding good but the single coil was always too much of a volume drop, and the tone was nothing special, either. My understanding is that parallel wiring is another option for reining in/thinning out a humbucker without those problems.

6. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you want only series/parallel -> use a DPDT on/on togggle switch
    If you want series/split/parallel -> use a DPDT on/on/on toggle switch.

But the wiring is the same.

Kind of hard to explain, you need to figure the aspect which way you're soldering and looking for.

When the switch lever is in "up" position -> 2 middle + 2 lowest lugs are in use.
    When the switch lever is in "down" position -> 2 middle + 2 top lugs are in use.

Here's a good drawing. Also good to remember that color codes are different with different pickup manufacturers.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/images/wiring-diagrams/1H_1V_mtSSP.jpg

Edit: And that drawing is missing the ground wire, which is correctly in your image.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  7. SixStringSlinger

Ah, thanks! This is what I was looking for:

upload_2020-12-2_14-20-31.png

And yes, I have an on-on just for series-parallel. And the pickup is an SD, so no problems there.

SbS likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.