Series or Parallel

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by suave eddie, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

My tele with the neck hb bridge sc has a 4-way and it sounds big and fat but not muddy at all, that bridge sc cuts through - all three coils in series, all signals in phase. I recommend :)

I've never put two hb in series, the gibbo toggle switch does not allow that.

Can strat pickups be wired in series? What switch needed?

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Anything you do to a humbucker OTHER than run the coils in series is going to drop the output a little. The perceived output is about that of a coil-shunt. You get less gain, but more clarity, so it sits better in the mix - making the drop in gain less perceivable, IMHO, when you are playing in an ensemble rather than just noodling in the bedroom. I have a tweak that I've been doing lately that I think makes up for it a bit, particularly in coil-shunt mode.

With single coil pickups, some people perceive a drop in gain at the Tele #2 throw, or the Strat #2 and #4 throws. To me, the timbre is different enough so that I don't perceive it as a drop in gain so much as a change in tone. YMMV - your EAR and experience may vary.

You got that right! ANY pickup configuration run out of phase is gonna reduce the low-end and substantially drop the gain. I find that, if you want the sting and bite of an out of phase tone, running pups in SERIES/out of phase (rather than parallel) gets back a little ooomph.

YES, Strat pups can be put in series. There are a number of ways to do this, using P/Ps, mini-toggles, a Superswitch 5-way, or a clever rotary contraption which makes yer Strat FAT (oh!) that I must not name here... try googling my user name.

3. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i've got the series/parallel option via a push/pull vol pot on two Teles with GFS Cool Vintage Lil' Punchers and one Tele with Bardens....i can highly recommend it to y'all.

4. Detman101

Detman101 Banned

whoa!! Where can we get the hardware for the switches and what is the wiring diagram please! I would love to swap out my tone pot with this option. that way I could keep my coil tap on the volume knob and have the series/Parallel on the tone.

Whoowee that would be SWEET!!!!

:D
    Dm

5. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

6. Smoky Booroo

Smoky Booroo Tele-Meister

I love my four-way switch. I didn't know how to use it at first, but find myself going there a lot now. Really wonderful option.

7. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

My old mod-platform of a tele had a super switch with neck(dark)/neck/series/parallel/bridge configurations and a push-pull volume pot for out-of-phase switching...

Incredibly versatile, but in the end all it taught me was the beautiful simplicity that is the standard 3-way switch wiring :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.