1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Serial number question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitdrum, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Hi
    I am looking to possibly buy a 2010 Telecaster American standard.
    Even Fender customer support could not explain why there isn't a US prefix.
    Anybody ever see a serial number that resembles the one shown below?

Attached Files:

2. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Did you check Fender's website?

Here's what it says in the support section...

"A new serial numbering scheme was adopted toward the end of 2009 using the number “10” as a prefix, followed by a space, followed by seven digits. The “10” prefix was designed to identify the first year of the second decade of the new millennium, and while it appears on the instrument decals, it was not captured in Fender’s operating system. Only the seven-digit suffixes were actually entered into the database. These serial numbers did not identify the country of origin in the body of the number. Instead, the instrument's country of origin appears on the decal on the back of the headstock, near the serial number."

Especially if yours was a transitional model - late 2009 or very early 2010 - it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just forgot the "country of origin" sticker. Fender is somewhat notorious for anomalies like this.

Or maybe the MADE IN USA decal just got rubbed off somehow?

3. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Thanks Kevin,
    No I actually called Fender customer support and told them about it and asked a question about the color.
    Your information says a "10" and seven digits.
    Wonder why mine has six?
    May not be a biggie, but I just want to make sure I'm buying what I think it is.
    This is what Fender said:

I’m not sure as to why there is no US prefix before your instrument. There is no distinct way that they do the serial numbers. As far as the color question, the Candy Cola and is going to be darker and the Crimson Red Transparent you will almost be able to see the tiger stripes in the wood.

Regards,

Greg Armijo
    (Fender, Squier, Gretsch Guitars, Charvel, Jackson, Genz-Benz, SWR, EVH, Groove Tubes)
    Fender Consumer Relations
    17600 North Perimeter Drive, Suite 100
    Scottsdale AZ, 85255

(480) 845-5140
    http://www.mhuss.com/PS300/images/FenderLogo.jpg

4. KevinB

Yes, I just noticed the six versus seven numbers thing!

But, again, especially if this is a transitional year guitar (meaning almost between 2009 and 2010) it doesn't surprise me at all. What does look correct is that the first two characters - the 1 and 0 - are in a slightly different font than the other numbers. Many of the fakes I've seen don't have this. It would be interesting to remove the neck and look for a date stamp on the heel. My guess is something between October 2009 and January 2010.

Without seeing the rest of the guitar I don't see anything that makes me think the guitar is anything other than an American Standard. The Schaller made - and Fender branded - tuners look correct too. The bridge on an American Standard is also unique.

5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Wow - this is very disappointing that they don't know their own products anymore. Fender laid off lot of senior people in Customer Services/Consumer Relations shortly after the start of the year, including Rob Schwartz, who was the head of that group. Rob had been with them since the late CBS days - he was in QC at Fullerton from about 1981-summer 1984, then came back as a temp for CBS in January 1985, and again as a temp after the sale (February-July 1985) before being re-hired full-time after helping set up the new Fender factory in Corona. That happens a lot of times when companies restructure to cut costs - the folks with all the "tribal knowledge" leave the company, and the new hires only know what they were shown in training.

At any rate that is a known typo on Fender's website that they have never fixed - the early 2010s were 6 digits after the "10", not 7 digits like the website says. These were used during the first quarter of 2010 - after the Z9s were used up, and before they started with the "US10" prefix circa March/April.

6. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Thank you sir, for your help.
    If you wouldn't mind taking a
    look at the bridge to confirm its authenticity.
    Really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

7. KevinB

It looks 100% American Standard to me.

I think - but I'm not totally sure - that Fender replaced the bent steel saddles with block style ones later in 2010.

Here's another just like yours...

[​IMG]

8. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Looks like the first two numbers are different font or it just me?

9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

They are supposed to be - but that was one of the problems with those "10xxxxxx" numbers - the "10" font was too close to the font used for the actual 6 digits of the number. That's probably why they decided to go with the "US10xxxxxx" format where the "US10" part is definitely a different font than the other 6 digits.

KevinB - Fender still uses the bent steel saddles on American Standards; they used the block saddles from the model's introduction (call it early 1987) through 2007, with the bent saddles coming on with the 2008 update (which included restoring the "American Standard" name).

10. KevinB

See post #4.

11. KevinB

John, thank you for the correction. I should have realized that they started out with blocks and then went to stamped, as they currently use now. So, 2008 was the change date. Got it!

You sure know the details on this stuff! :)

12. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Hazard of my job - I'm a marketing researcher, so having specs nailed down in your head helps when you're doing product tests (comparing version 1 to version 2, etc.). It just kind of bleeds over to the hobbies. But only for things I really like - so while I know the Fenders and a few other brands really well, there are others that I don't have that kind of knowledge base to fall back on.

13. KevinB

I used to be a systems programmer, and I knew all the details. But I ended up as a program director, and I promptly forgot all the details! :eek:

14. Guitdrum

Guitdrum Tele-Meister

Thanks gents for setting me straight.
    I ended up purchasing it.
    Now to wait.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.