September 18, 1970

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
My buddies and I sulked together for a few days. It’s still a bit shocking to me.

Where would he have gone musically?
I think it was a Joni Mitchell interview, reminiscing about Jimi... she said he would come to her last set of the night (electric shows played four sets a night in London, and folk played five), and sit on the side of the stage, recording her. She said he had begun talking about a change, doing something different musically. And I think she said, that she thought it might have something to do with "big band" music.

The Jimi Hendrix and Brian Setzer Orchestra? :)

Addnine

Tele-Holic
Yeah, but he was 27. When I think of how stupid I was back then... My son, too. He barely survived. But he did. And now all that seems like a weird dream.

Jimi was by all accounts a nice guy, and intelligent. He'd have figured it out. It's just a shame, is all.

I know. When I was younger, I lost a lot of friends to drugs. But rehab is a cruel scam, and willpower is not nearly as irrelevant to recovery as AA/NA would have us believe, so my view in the end is that druggies are responsible for what they do and for the consequences. Only they can end it: it's on them. If they don't, it can only be ascribed to weakness or stupidity. Any other view is delusion.

Similarly, I've done a lot of damage to myself drinking too much (I no longer do), and that damage is all on me: 100%.

Addnine

Tele-Holic
I think it was a Joni Mitchell interview, reminiscing about Jimi... she said he would come to her last set of the night (electric shows played four sets a night in London, and folk played five), and sit on the side of the stage, recording her. She said he had begun talking about a change, doing something different musically. And I think she said, that she thought it might have something to do with "big band" music.

The Jimi Hendrix and Brian Setzer Orchestra? :)

This could be seen as confirmation of my hope that he might have moved in the direction of greater sophistication and that the shift might have been informed by an interest in the jazz genre/vocabulary, as it was for Joni Mitchell.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I know. When I was younger, I lost a lot of friends to drugs. But rehab is a cruel scam, and willpower is not nearly as irrelevant to recovery as AA/NA would have us believe, so my view in the end is that druggies are responsible for what they do and for the consequences. Only they can end it: it's on them. If they don't, it can only be ascribed to weakness or stupidity. Any other view is delusion.

Similarly, I've done a lot of damage to myself drinking too much (I no longer do), and that damage is all on me: 100%.
I don't believe that Jimi was an addict. Big difference there. You're welcome to your opinion, but not everyone fits in one of your two boxes, in my experience.

Addnine

Tele-Holic
I don't believe that Jimi was an addict. Big difference there. You're welcome to your opinion, but not everyone fits in one of your two boxes, in my experience.

Addiction is not the point. Surely you can grasp that drugs to which you are not addicted can kill you?

If you want to argue with me, you'll have to bring at least a little intellectual honesty to the fray.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I got to see him live at Winterland, back then, and my eyes/ears opened wide open.
Thank you for sharing that brilliantly burning light with us and opening my mind to another way of seeing
to another way of being. Sleep well upon silken seas.

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Addiction is not the point. Surely you can grasp that drugs to which you are not addicted can kill you?

If you want to argue with me, you'll have to bring at least a little intellectual honesty to the fray.
Not here, not now. Too much judgment, assumption, and um, intellectual superiority :rolleyes: for my taste.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
My buddies and I sulked together for a few days. It’s still a bit shocking to me.

Where would he have gone musically?
I think he would have played with Miles Davis. If he did, maybe Miles wouldn't have fallen off of the face of the earth for a decade.

teleman1

Friend of Leo's
I got to see him live at Winterland, back then, and my eyes/ears opened wide open.
Thank you for sharing that brilliantly burning light with us and opening my mind to another way of seeing
to another way of being. Sleep well upon silken seas.

I saw him June of 69 at a rock festival in the San Fernando valley. I was 14. He was the main reason I went to the festival. Have you been experinced> I have.

ElJay370

Tele-Afflicted
My dad was a big Hendrix fan. Once it became apparent that I was on my way to becoming a musician, Jimi was the only player he went out of his way to point me towards.

Thanks dad, and thank you Jimi.

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
it's a cinematic cliche perhaps, but I was on the Tube in London. Some guy across the carriage must have turned his newspaper around to read the sports, and I read the headline on the front page... I think my heart stopped for a few moments. At least I had the privilege of seeing this humble virtuoso in concert.

I also had an Olympic white Strat by then... I used to tell people that I came home from that concert and wanted to chuck it in the bin - but the truth was that his genius did not crush me, it inspired me.

'if I don't see you in this world, I'll see you in the next one, so don't be late, don't be late' wrote Jimi.

I'm looking forward to that...

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I saw him June of 69 at a rock festival in the San Fernando valley. I was 14. He was the main reason I went to the festival. Have you been experinced> I have.

that's a nice memory, thank you for sharing that.
I think in this world of sorrow and tears Jimi managed to pull the illusionary veil back so the we could see beyond our cares and troubles sharing life's full flavors to ease our suffering .
"hey dig this, have you ever be experienced, not necessarily stoned, but beautiful"
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzmandala.jpg

Last edited: